HTSB is no longer the "easy" route for internationally-trained teachers

inmortus

HTSB is no longer the "easy" route for internationally-trained teachers

Post by inmortus »

Well, HTSB has changed its rules. Previously, a non-US qualified teacher could get their teacher training and degree recognized through a NACES evaluation and subsequently apply for a provisional or standard license (if they had enough experience). This was a relatively easy process, with no exams, background checks, etc, and for a non-US qualified teacher it was probably the easiest way to get a US teaching license.

HTSB has changed its rules. Out-of-state applicants who don't currently hold a US teaching license from another state (i.e. foreign-trained teachers, or out of state applicants who for whatever reason did not get a license on the state where they trained) now require a series of tests. I mean, it's not like it's impossible, but it definitely makes it much less desirable. Also, the way "experience" is referred to now, seems like they will only take US-teaching-experience into account to determine whether an applicant gets a provisional or standard license...

I just hope they don't change it towards making it harder for current license holders to renew based on out-of-state or out-of-the-country experience...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

No, its still the easiest route in so much as a professional grade credential. MA (specifically the provisional, entry grade credential, has been the easiest route for a while now.)
All HI has done is eliminate a small pathway alternative that allowed a candidate to use their degree/major course of study and their EPP/ITT program as a means of fulfilling training and preparation in meds/peds/asst and content. They have gone the route through a very recent change that requires that all applicants who do not hold a regular teaching credential to complete professional credentialing exams. These exams are the PRAXIS series and they are available globally. Its a standards and accountability issue that the HTSBs primary obligation is to the education of students in HI, they are not and never have had a mandate to be the IE clearinghouse of credentials.
regardless it is far, far from impossible. As stated previously the PRAXIS series of exams are available globally requiring no great burden of travel, and they arent prohibitively expensive. This change will effect the desirability in IE of ITs all of close to zero. Why because for a professional grade credential for a non- US citizen the only other marketable pathway is the DC credential, DC likewise requires the same series of exams and the differences between them as far as suitability still remain. This will effect foreign ITs without a credential but are EPP/ITT completer who pursuing the DC credential all of zero as DC already requires the PRAXIS and will create an additional burden of having to redo exams for those who completed their program in FL (Teach Ready) or who are moving (for some reason) from the MA Provisional to the HI Provisional will have to retake exams.

I applaud the new change, the idea that some DT from Africa, etc. waves whatever the equivalent of their credential is and demands a US credential based on review of documents was always irresponsible. Confirming through a professional assessment that the candidate possess the minimum of proficiency for a US DT teaching in US DE is appropriate. So what if it means some DT/IT with QTS, etc. has to take a couple professional exams. I shed no teachers if this burden makes it near impossible, or difficult for foreign DTs to obtain US HI credentials.

HI has already used more stringent standards for what it defines as acceptable KS/K12 experience both in terms of applying, transitioning and renewing. If youre teaching at a US NC embassy IS your experience is still going to count, if your at some Chinese IS with mostly local host nationals and Chinese leadership pulling the strings or its other regional/national equivalent its not likely going to count even if the IS is regionally US accredited.
chemteacher101

Re: HTSB is no longer the "easy" route for internationally-trained teachers

Post by chemteacher101 »

@Psyguy: I love how you just grouped every single teacher trained in every single country from one continent into one big "probably not properly qualified" group. Any other judgmental, ignorant, racist or otherwise discriminatory generalized statements you wish to make?

@inmortus: I agree with you. That's how I got my license. Although I could take those tests and pass them, I would see this as an additional hurdle in terms of time and money. Personally, I would not see the MA Provisional option as an easy one, as it involves flying into the US and I would need a visa for that, plus a very long flight... I'm happy I already have it and hope they don't start requiring only US-based experience for renewal.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

Yes, Africa is simply the first continent alphabetically, very judgey.

Its a weekend of testing and a few hundred USD, yes its more work, more time and more coin, its not " much less desirable".

A number of MTEL exams are available by remote/online administration and can be completed globally without the need for travel.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

@Psyguy
Sure, you were just providing a random example in alphabetical order, as one does. Also unsure on why you feel that foreign trained teachers are "demanding" US credentials. Anything else you feel foreigners from "Africa, etc" are out there "demanding" and which should definitely be harder for them given they're from "Africa, etc"?

Back the the original topic ; is now less easy to get it than before. It used to be sending scans of credentials to SpanTran, waiting for 2 weeks and then applying to HSB. Now it's not, therefore it's less convenient than before; nothing extraordinary about this statement (I'll let you go into the semantics on how less convenient is not the same as less desirable, as I'm sure you will have the last word -as you do-).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

happy you understand it was simply an alphabetical example.
Because they get demanding, the "I have a credential" how dare I have to take an exam, X states DOE should just issue me one of their credentials because I have one from Y country", thats why.
So you agree with me that less convenient and less desirable are not the same thing.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Nope, I didn't understand it as an alphabetical example, but you knew that already. Pretending to not understand sarcasm to shift the attention away from getting caught displaying a racist attitude is a bit lame IMHO.

I still think your view on how "they get demanding", with "they" being people from "Africa, etc" reflects a discriminatory and racist attitude. You can continue to disagree on this, it won't change what your message reflected.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

i absolutly knew it to be an alphabetical example, the only one caught being racist is you, youre the one that brought it up. Im not responsible for your racist interpretations. I hope nothing changes about my message.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

You are free to believe your message did not have a racist connotation. I am free to believe it did.
unsure

Post by unsure »

chemteacher101 wrote:
> You are free to believe your message did not have a racist connotation. I
> am free to believe it did.

It did. He may not have meant it when he typed it, but it definitely did.

On a slight tangent, I work with some fabulous teachers from Africa. No idea where they got their certification (or even if they are certified).
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Youre free to believe whatever you want, your beliefs are not my responsibility.

It had zero racial characteristics, I am not responsible for your interpretations.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

I'm glad you agree I am free to believe your message had a clear racist connotation.

I also agree with you; you are not responsible for my interpretation (or that of anyone else who might be quietly nodding and simply don't want to keep feeding the troll).
inmortus

Post by inmortus »

Hello. OP here.

I think both PsyGuy and chemteacher101 are right.

PsyGuy is correct: less convenient does not necessarily mean less desirable. English is not my first language, and I kind of equated those two in my mind. Thank you PsyGuy for pointing out the difference between convenient and desirable.

So, in regards to my original post: the HI license is no longer as convenient as before for a foreign-trained teacher.

Chemteacher101 is also right: PsyGuy's message does have a clear racist connotation. "They get demanding" with "they" being previously established as "some DT from Africa, etc", in the context of stating that it is irresponsible to equate a qualification from "them" to one from the US, while later claiming it was an "alphabetical" example is just a bit too obvious. Was it intentional? Who knows? Does it have a racist connotation" Absolutely.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Youre free to believe whatever you want, your beliefs are not my responsibility.
It had zero racial characteristics, I am not responsible for your interpretations.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Yes, we're both free to have different view points about the obviously racist connotation of your post.