The path to get QTS after iPGCE

kaskamaraska

The path to get QTS after iPGCE

Post by kaskamaraska »

Hello everyone!

I've recently realized that I need QTS to work in some of the international schools in Hungary. I am aware that this topic has been already discussed many times but I still can not find a specific answer for me.

I'm a Master of Law and I finished two postgraduate studies in Poland: Theatre Pedagogy and Pedagogy for teachers without pedagogical background. As you can see I've completely changed my plans and I would like to pursue a career as a teacher. I do not work at school, I have private English classes and organize artistic workshops for kids and teenagers.

I'm looking for online courses and I'm wondering what path I could take. I know about Teach-Now but it doesn't seem as the right one if I'm planning to work in Europe. Is iPGCE course an option? I know that I can't get QTS this way, but at the same time, there are no PGCE courses online. What could I do after completing iPGCE? Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot!
t_rock

Re: The path to get QTS after iPGCE

Post by t_rock »

Leeds Beckett runs a 100% distance learning PGCE course, and it is very reasonably priced although getting more expensive every year.

https://courses.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/PGCE ... elearning/
kaskamaraska

Post by kaskamaraska »

Thank you!

Unfortunately this course doesn't provide you with QTS. :(

'This course is designed for practising teachers who already have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), those who want to teach in primary or secondary schools and are undertaking a period of training leading to QTS or equivalent, and practising teachers in international schools abroad (English curriculum). Please note that this course does not recommend the award of QTS.'
inmortus

Post by inmortus »

I am no expert, but maybe this information can help you:

Is your "Theatre Pedagogy and Pedagogy for teachers without pedagogical background" considered teacher training in Poland? Do you have experience teaching that after having finished those studies? If so, you can try to register through GTCNI and/or GTCS (which unlike HTC do accept applications from qualifications from non English speaking countries). If you manage to get a full registration in either, you can then use this to apply for QTS.

If GTCS gives you a limited registration, it's still better than nothing as you can use this as a teaching qualification (which it basically is, just that it is only for Scotland).

Hope this helps.
Smoko

Post by Smoko »

Take a look into the Assessment Only route to QTS, but bear in mind that I think you might have to pay for the costs of having an assessor visit you:

https://www.tes.com/institute/assessment-only-route
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

Hi guys,

I am fairly curious about this 100% distance and cheap (2x00 GBP?!) PGCE:

- I don't see anywhere it is 100 remotely
- How about using it to get a license in Arizona then move it back to UK ? ;)
- How is it possible that it is truly called PGCE and not offer the possibility of earning the QTS?
Smoko

Post by Smoko »

Boomba wrote:
> - I don't see anywhere it is 100 remotely

"Distance learning" means it is remote.

> - How about using it to get a license in Arizona then move it back to UK ?
> ;)

Won't work sorry.

> - How is it possible that it is truly called PGCE and not offer the
> possibility of earning the QTS?

PGCE is an academic qualification. QTS is a teaching licence. They are separate, but the confusion comes because most PGCEs also include QTS.
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

Thanks!

However, what I anticipate is that this lgce would be considered as ITT ; if so, one could take the Praxis and get a licence, maybe?
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

*PGCE
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You cant do much with a PGCEi accept use it as part of your portfolio in obtaining QTS through the AO route. Its possible you could use it to in CT to get an initial (entry grade) credential, but for that matter you may as well use the assessment pathway to get the MA Provisional (entry grade) credential, though you cant use it to get QT. A PGCEi is considered a working qualification in a number of regions in lower tier ISs, but its not QTS.

I would strongly advise you look into what your Polish qualifications are considered, as they may be equivalent to an EPP/ITT program already, and you can just apply for QTS directly.

Leeds Beckett Uni is nice, very affordable, but it doesnt award to or lead to QTS. Its a relatively new qualification thats an "academic PGCE", or a domestic version of the PGCEi. The Leeds Beckett program is basically a top up program for those that did Sch.Dir, etc.

You likely dont have the field work for registration with GTCNI or GTCS as part of your Polish programs.

The TES institute (AO program) rarely sends an assessor, they contract with a qualified local in most cases.

@Boomba

1) Distance learning means its a remote/online program.
2) No, its no different than a PGCEi. It lacks a supervised field experience. Taking PRAXIS doesnt change or really mean anything in this context. You can not just "do something" in an academic edu stream and take the PRAXIS and get a credential that will earn you QTS.
3) A PGCE in whatever form is a academic qualification. QTS is the outcome of competing an EPP/ITT program. Many domestic PGCE programs are a composite of both the academic portion and the ITT portion. This isnt a "true" PGCE in that regard, it is only the academic portion.