IS vs Hong Kong NET Scheme

SideOut

IS vs Hong Kong NET Scheme

Post by SideOut »

Hi everyone,

A bit of background on me. I have around 10 years of teaching and leadership experience in bilingual schools. Also, I will be finishing the TeacherReady program in a few months. In doing the TR program, the goal I set for myself was to get into a 3rd tier international school in my top choice location, with the idea of completing a 2 year contract there before hopefully moving up to a better school in the same location.

Well, I've been offered a contract by a third tier IS in my ideal location. So, mission accomplished and all that. However, to complicate matters, I have also been accepted into the Hong Kong EDB NET scheme candidate pool. Now, I know that being accepted into the candidate pool is only the first step, and there is still the possibility that I won't secure a job for the 2019-2020 school year. So, this decision is still somewhat hypothetical.

The NET salary would be more than triple the amount of that of the IS position, along with better benefits. Even with the high cost of living in HK, the savings potential would be far greater than with the IS. However, I have some hesitations.

My inclination is that, from a CV and experience point of view, the job at the international school would be more beneficial to my career. I imagine that, despite being extremely lucrative, being on the NET scheme is seen as simply ESOL experience.

So, I'd appreciate the opinions of others. If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Take the money and run? Or do 2 years at the IS in order to gain experience in an IS setting and hopefully make a career advancement after that? Is the NET Scheme seen as anything other than ESOL?

Thanks in advance.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

HK NET = ESOL

Beyond that this is an academic exercise, you dont have any choices yet, you have something, an appointment in hand, and you made it into the NET candidate pool, which means nothing. How are we supposed to compare something too nothing? Real appointment where you want vs. pixie dust and unicorn rainbow farts wishful thinking...

Okay that said, moving into your storybook. The major forum contributors are generally split into two schools of thought (by split it means all the leadership vs.myself). The first school of thought is you have a contract, a signed contract, your word is your bond, if you break the contract for some big and fast coin in ESOL in a couple years (and thats what you tell them), its going to at least be a problem if you try to go back to that IS and a problem but less of a problem if you used a premium recruiting agency. Beyond that your either lying about what you did, and leadership believe that says a lot about your character and they can sniff this out somehow, or you tell them and while your honest its not a positive trait they want to foster (breaking contract). If anyone finds out they will want to talk to the past IS you broke contract with, and based on when NET makes their appointments its going to be really late in the recruiting cycle, probably wont have nice things to say.

The other school of thought is, you didnt have much getting this third tier IS appointment this time, it wont be hard next time. Though obviously you will have some problems if you go back to the same IS, assuming you spun them some kind of story that gets you out of the contract. None of the premium agencies are connected with NET, so that wont be an issue. So in two years (or longer) heavy with coin you can very likely pick up where you left off, as long as your willing to spin the experience, and ghost the IS you withdrew your contract acceptance from.

The only real (theoretical) decision here is how do you feel about delaying IE for coin? This isnt a lost opportunity scenario, you can pick up later, at whatever time you decide to pursue IE, albeit maybe not in your preferred location, but this isnt a sunken opportunity or lost career choice, the fork in the road is one you can move further down the road with comparable options.

The lost experience in terms of scale and service depends what your going to do and what your pathway is, but based on what you have provided if its triple the coin for the difference between step 0 and step 2 on a salary scale, the IE position isnt going to recoup the NET coin once you hit the longevity tail on the step scale. If this IE position opens up leadership earlier for you and allows you to navigate into executive leadership sooner in your career, than IE reasonably becomes more lucrative (but requires a lot of ifs and maybes).
Illiane_Blues

Re: IS vs Hong Kong NET Scheme

Post by Illiane_Blues »

SideOut wrote:
> So, I'd appreciate the opinions of others. If you were in my shoes, what
> would you do? Take the money and run? Or do 2 years at the IS in order to
> gain experience in an IS setting and hopefully make a career advancement
> after that?

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to the IS in my ideal location.
But this is assuming you're still young, and you don't need the extra cash the move to HK would get you for retirement.
You can always go to a school in the ME a few years from now for a couple of years to save a lot there.
Be sure to really do your research on cost of living in HK, not everyone saves as much there as they think they will when they see the offered salary, and life there is getting even more crazy expensive.
Either way you'll be ok though. HK is not a bad place to be in, but if I had a shot a living in my ideal location AND get two years of experience under my belt, I'd go there.
WinterFerret

Post by WinterFerret »

One third of NET is a pretty bad salary, even in a low cost of living location. For ESL NET pays good and provides a middle class lifestyle in Hong Kong which can rival tier 2/1 schools at the upper levels of NET. As such NET is really competitive, not many job openings from people leaving and lots of applicants. Actually getting a position is a lot harder than getting into the applicant pool.

But really, one third of NET is just too low, you do not owe this school anything for such a contract. How low is this international school offering anyways? If we include the NET housing allowance that's maybe 1/3 of 50k HKD per month, I would recommend taking NET if you can get a position or searching for a better paying international school.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Can you provide us with the both salary numbers (incl. all benefits)(healthcare & housing covered?)?
And what's the location of the IS?
That would make it a lot easier to properly compare, and see how much you would struggle financially at the IS (or not), and how much you would actually save in Hong Kong.
If you're hesitant to name the city because you fear the IS's recruiter might be on the forum and realise it's you, just name two other cities as well, and we might be able to give you feedback for all three, including the actual city.

Also lifestyle would have a big impact.
Do you intend to travel a lot, do you enjoy going to bars or do you prefer a quiet night in with a good book?
Those kinds of things.

How are the reviews on ISR for the school? (if there are any)
Sometimes they mention if you'll be able to save some coin.

If it was me, I'd start by thinking of where I want to be years down the line, and take the shortest path there, although a 'side-quest' can be interesting as well.
And two years of your life is not peanuts, make sure you choose an option where you would enjoy them.
SideOut

Post by SideOut »

PsyGuy,

Yes, your words more or less echo my thoughts. As you said, getting an actual appointment as a NET is a big maybe, so I certainly can't bank on it happening. Also, from reading about others' experiences, appointments can happen all throughout the summer up until just before the school year is starting.

I think the only logical path that I can take at this point is to embrace the IS position and focus on that. Regarding the NET scheme, I will cross that bridge if I come to it. If I do end up getting an appointment, it will be very difficult to decline.

I can understand both sides of the debate about breaking contract; however, realistically, I believe you have to look after your best interests. I have "done the right thing" in the past by passing up good opportunities in order to not break contract...I regretted it after the fact. When I was in a leadership role, I had a teacher resign mid-contract (he gave me enough notice to hire a replacement). I was sad to see him go and certainly didn't enjoy having to recruit again; however, I understood that the position he left for was better for his career, and so I didn't fault him for it.

Illiane_Blues,

Thanks for your reply. It looks like that's the option I'm going with!

WinterFerret,

Agreed, the salary isn't good. However, I have lived and worked in the area before, so I know that I will still have a good quality of life and save money on that salary. Certainly not as much as on the NET scheme, though. The IS position would be more about paying my dues for a few years to gain experience before hopefully moving on to a better IS.

Heliotrope,

I'd prefer not to give exact figures or location for the IS. Healthcare is included, but housing is not. I've lived and worked both there and in Hong Kong before, so I have a good grasp on the cost of living in both areas. I will be able to save money in both areas, but despite the high cost of living in HK, the savings potential there is still far greater. Lifestyle-wise, the location of the IS fits perfectly Having said that, I like HK and don't mind living there. Long-term, HK is probably more secure and stable.

Anyway, as PsyGuy mentioned, I don't actually have a choice to make yet, as I haven't been offered a NET appointment. Thank you to everyone who offered opinions and advice. It's good to get the ideas of others when making big (potential) decisions like this.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SideOut

If you like HK, being in NET is not a bad way of getting in. HK has its own IE bubble, and a fair that basically serves as a swap meet. Getting into HK is the greatest difficulty once youre in though you can make a lot of moves from the inside relatively easy.
SideOut

Post by SideOut »

PsyGuy,

Cheers, that's good to know.