Ranking of subjects, from most in demand to least in demand?

wrldtrvlr123

Re: Ranking of subjects, from most in demand to least in dem

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

MartElla wrote:
> I feel there's far too little talk about equestrianism and aboriginal
> languages this time around.
>
> That was my favorite part of the other thread!
==================
True. I hear that the same school in Shangri-la is now looking for a .5 position for someone who knows "How to Train Your Dragon" combined with a .5 Works of Shakespeare in Dothraki.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

wrldtrvlr123 wrote:
> MartElla wrote:
> > I feel there's far too little talk about equestrianism and aboriginal
> > languages this time around.
> >
> > That was my favorite part of the other thread!
> ==================
> True. I hear that the same school in Shangri-la is now looking for a .5 position for
> someone who knows "How to Train Your Dragon" combined with a .5 Works of
> Shakespeare in Dothraki.

Yeah, but those teachers area a dime a dozen, so it's easy to fill.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

PsyGuy, Thames Pirate already said "I never applied and would not have as I am not an instructor", so no need to take it any further than that. You're unnecessarily abrasive, and I'm not just referring to this topic, but to many others as well.
Even when she disagrees strongly with you, and you two are basically having a fight, Thames Pirate still manages to stay civilized.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Full disclosure, I did have an instructor certification, but it's probably expired. Teaching/coaching was also not how I was professionally involved in the sport, and I would not call myself an instructor. I am pretty careful about my amateur status now that I have regained it.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

"Grabs the popcorn and soda and sits down on the couch to wait..."
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Dragon Training would be a full 1 FTE vacancy. Shakespeare in Dothraki would probably be an ASP.

@Illiane_Blues

The issue was that @Thames Pirate believed that their opinion on the position specs were unreasonable and thus the position couldnt exist, as if anyone needs to run anything past @Thames Pirate for approval. She didnt apply because she didnt know about the position.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

MartElla wrote:
> With IGCSE/IB aren't you mostly restricting yourself to UK teachers? Sure, some
> others might have taught IGCSE but not that many. If you are looking for IGCSE
> experience then you are already narrowing your focus.

Not necessarily. If a teacher has taught successfully at the higher end of the MYP programme, or has experience in IB, then they can undoubtedly teach IGCSE. Remember that in 'British' schools the normal pattern is that a teacher will be able to teach all yeargroups from Y7 to Y13, rather than specializing in a particular narrow band (i.e. middle school, or IBDP only.)
Illiane_Blues

Re: Reply

Post by Illiane_Blues »

@PsyGuy
You've missed the point of what I was saying, perhaps an oversight or perhaps on purpose.
I mentioned that you're unnecessarily abrasive towards other forum members at times, while Thames Pirate still manages to stay civilized, probably not without some effort.
When someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean they attack you personally and are less deserving of respect and civility.
We're all adults here, biologically at least, and apart from some sociopaths everyone has a bit of empathy, so let's stay respectful of each other, in a way that shows it.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

expatscot wrote:

> Not necessarily. If a teacher has taught successfully at the higher end of the MYP
> programme, or has experience in IB, then they can undoubtedly teach IGCSE. Remember
> that in 'British' schools the normal pattern is that a teacher will be able to teach
> all yeargroups from Y7 to Y13, rather than specializing in a particular narrow band
> (i.e. middle school, or IBDP only.)

Agreed. Hubby had taught only US system without IB at our first IS. He did IGCSE there and had no trouble with it. It, like the DP, is just teaching with some requirements/structures that one has to follow.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

expatscot wrote:
> MartElla wrote:
> > With IGCSE/IB aren't you mostly restricting yourself to UK teachers? Sure, some
> > others might have taught IGCSE but not that many. If you are looking for IGCSE
> > experience then you are already narrowing your focus.
>
> Not necessarily. If a teacher has taught successfully at the higher end of the MYP
> programme, or has experience in IB, then they can undoubtedly teach IGCSE. Remember
> that in 'British' schools the normal pattern is that a teacher will be able to teach
> all yeargroups from Y7 to Y13, rather than specializing in a particular narrow band
> (i.e. middle school, or IBDP only.)

Also agree. I taught GCSE in two strands of a subject and co-taught A level as well, in my first year in the British system. It was an adjustment, but if you are open minded and willing to learn, it's not impossible. Good teaching is good teaching, whether in the UK or the US.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

AT SLL level all the IE subject matter curriculum are highly congruent.
kaakitwitaasota

Post by kaakitwitaasota »

Not to necro, but to necro. I have a Classics degree, will be getting a German-language Master's in a related subject, and may be getting a teaching license a few years down the line.

Has anybody ever heard of an international school hiring a Latin/Greek teacher?
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

It's an IB course: https://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma- ... -languages
If you go and search for IB schools on their website, and search for the keyword 'classical languages' (or 'latin'), you get 210 hits: https://bit.ly/2Y0z9pP
Of course there are also non-IB schools that offer it.

It might very well be that the Latin teachers are all teaching it part-time, so if you can also teach another subject, you'd be more marketable.

Perhaps someone who's on this forum and has an active Search profile can see if there are any vacancies in Classical Languages or Latin right now (although it's late in the recruiting season)? Just so you know if there's a demand...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kaakitwitaasota

Latin is an IB subject, but its not a very popular one, there were 1360 candidates testing in 2018 in Latin. Latin is offered as an AP course. Latin and Greek are offered at IGCSE. Neither Latin or Greek are available at A levels. CPU offers Latin.

There are Latin ITs hired, but typically its less than a FTE appointment requiring other subjects to make a FTE appointment. Typically humanities or other languages.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Maybe a Latin/Greek & German combo, since you speak German?
German is offered at way more schools than Latin, but may still be hard to find a school that offer both and also needs both at the same time tho. You could do Latin & supply work first if they'll let you, until German becomes available (or the other way around).