2019-20 jobs

buffalofan

2019-20 jobs

Post by buffalofan »

There is a slow but steady trickle of jobs being posted for 2019-20. Just curious if anyone has had interviews yet?
shawanda

Re: 2019-20 jobs

Post by shawanda »

I have sent out five applications. No bites yet. Either because it's too early or because I'm black.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I've sent out 50 emails/online applications both for posted positions and unsolicited. The vast majority were unsolicited. My approach was to look at schools that attended UNI last year and schools in countries that I'm interested in on ISR paid section, check reviews. I have two skype interviews setup for next week.

I'm really motivated to leave my current post and I have non-teaching spouse and 2 kids so I think I should put in extra work. I haven't mention my non-teaching spouse and 2 kids so I'm really anxious about how that plays out.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The intent period keeps getting earlier and earlier, but ITs that want to apply and recruit this early need to give a voluntary early intent, to avoid possible negative repercussions.
mamava

Post by mamava »

We just had our notification meeting today....early notification for early October, final confirmation early November for staying or going. Lots of schools will start to advertise and line up interviews for tentative openings, but I think it's still pretty early...but good on the ones who already have interviews!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Both interviews went well until I mentioned dependents and after that, they both said the identically same thing: it's still early in the game. My guess is, they only hire teachers with dependents when they have no other options.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

Doctor wrote:
> Both interviews went well until I mentioned dependents and after that, they both
> said the identically same thing: it's still early in the game. My guess is, they
> only hire teachers with dependents when they have no other options.

Sad but true.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

FWIW, my school will be placing adverts starting from 1st November, so still a wee bit of time to wait.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur, kids are cost without value, why commit to that kind of expenditure this early in recruiting.
vandsmith

Re: Comment

Post by vandsmith »

PsyGuy wrote:
> I concur, kids are cost without value, why commit to that kind of
> expenditure this early in recruiting.

maybe there's some truth to that, but kids can also act as anchors - no parent wants to uproot their kid(s) year after year after getting into peer groups, friends, etc...

but yes, there is some expenditure - tuition, flights, some days off for sickness, etc...

v.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Vandsmith

Thats bunk, thats searching for the silver lining in the storm, its like getting hit with a fine of 250 for some minor infraction and saying "your helping your community provide essential services to residents". Children being an "anchor" is not a benefit, its a rationalization. The only supporters of which are 1) Those with kids, and 2) Those sympathetic to those with kids.

Its also disingenuous, its not just "some expenditure". Tuition/Place waivers are valued on average at 10K/yr, for 2 children thats 20K/yr. Add in increases in housing, flights, insurance, and relocation costs with the average IT salary of 30K/yr, hiring an IT with a family of 4 to fill one classroom costs the same as hiring 2 single ITs that fill 2 classrooms. That doesnt even factor the cost efficiencies when comparing teaching couples without kids.
vandsmith

Re: Reply

Post by vandsmith »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Vandsmith
>
> Thats bunk, thats searching for the silver lining in the storm, its like
> getting hit with a fine of 250 for some minor infraction and saying
> "your helping your community provide essential services to
> residents". Children being an "anchor" is not a benefit, its
> a rationalization. The only supporters of which are 1) Those with kids, and
> 2) Those sympathetic to those with kids.
>
> Its also disingenuous, its not just "some expenditure".
> Tuition/Place waivers are valued on average at 10K/yr, for 2 children thats
> 20K/yr. Add in increases in housing, flights, insurance, and relocation
> costs with the average IT salary of 30K/yr, hiring an IT with a family of
> 4 to fill one classroom costs the same as hiring 2 single ITs that fill 2
> classrooms. That doesnt even factor the cost efficiencies when comparing
> teaching couples without kids.

maybe, and yet, it continues to happen.

v.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@vandsmith

Yeah, because of a lack of options, not because of anchor kids. No recruiter says "we really like your a teaching couple, but our HOS wants to spend more coin on a IT with a family so that we can have anchor kids, so sorry good luck with your job search".
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @vandsmith
>
> Yeah, because of a lack of options, not because of anchor kids. No
> recruiter says "we really like your a teaching couple, but our HOS
> wants to spend more coin on a IT with a family so that we can have anchor
> kids, so sorry good luck with your job search".

Plenty of recruiters just want the best teachers, even if they have families, and also realise that a diverse teaching staff has benefits. Yes, kids as anchors can be good, having some continuity in teaching staff is a good thing.
And let's be honest, some schools have plenty of coin and won't think too long about your dependents if they really want to recruit you.
mamava

Post by mamava »

Heliotrope wrote:
> PsyGuy wrote:
> > @vandsmith
> >
> > Yeah, because of a lack of options, not because of anchor kids. No
> > recruiter says "we really like your a teaching couple, but our HOS
> > wants to spend more coin on a IT with a family so that we can have anchor
> > kids, so sorry good luck with your job search".
>
> Plenty of recruiters just want the best teachers, even if they have families, and
> also realise that a diverse teaching staff has benefits. Yes, kids as anchors can be
> good, having some continuity in teaching staff is a good thing.
> And let's be honest, some schools have plenty of coin and won't think too long about
> your dependents if they really want to recruit you.

That's been our experience, too. I know that some schools specifically say no dependents up front and I'm sure there are others who would try to save $$$, but In every school I've worked with, a variety of teachers have been hired every year....young, old, married, single, parents. Parents with kids have been hired early out of the gate and at the end of the season. The only demographic that does seem to raise eyebrows are the ones with kids and trailing spouses...