FBI police clearance

chiliverde

Re: FBI police clearance

Post by chiliverde »

Thank you, everyone. My Embassy here can do them, but says they won't do them for me. Local police look at me like my request is absolutely bonkers. I'm going through every connection I can think of, and will try the Embassy again. If not, I will have to try when I'm in Germany for vacation at the beginning of next month.

I think it is INSANE that the U.S. requires fingerprints for background checks, and then leaves its citizens abroad completely out to dry. Especially when other countries have far less arcane systems (in France you just do it all online). Looking for ways to feel positive about my home country these days, but it's hard.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chiliverde

They can do them, but wont do them, did you do something to cause them not to like you?

The US doesnt require the background check, its the Thai government thats requiring the CRB. They need fingerprints because its the only available bio-metrically reliable way of identifying you. The USG isnt leaving you out to dry, your request just isnt something thats routine. The USG and the DOS cant plan for all conveniences foe its citizens abroad, and if you were in the USA this would be easy.
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

@Psyguy

Your first question to me explains my frustration on your second point.

Yes, they can do them for adoption/immigration purposes. They have flat out said they won't do it for me. Do I have a RIGHT to a background check from abroad? I guess not. But the lack of common sense here is mind boggling.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chiliverde

Your going to either have to go to another consulate/embassy (either the US or a friendly consulate/embassy of another countries mission) or travel to a region where you can get the fingerprinting done easily.

You have a right to obtain access to your CRB data for personal review, however you must comply with the process and procedure mandated in obtaining it. What you dont have a right to is to compel the DOS to collect your fingerprints in order to meet the requirements of obtaining the CRB.

I dont see where common sense is an issue. I understand its frustrating, and irritating but the reality is the people you need to help you, arent inclined to do so, it has nothing to do with common sense its more relationship management. They dont owe you anything and they dont like you for some reason, and theyre going to take their ball and not play with you. Thats not an issue of rationality, but personality.
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

@PsyGuy

I've been on here long enough to see that splitting hairs is kind of your thing. Whatever, that's not what I'm here to do. The point is I'm stuck in a ridiculous situation that might even require me to leaving the country to fulfill this request.

What is not true is that the embassy has taken a personal dislike to me. I wrote them and got a form letter back that unless I fulfilled one of their categories (like international adoption), they couldn't do it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chiliverde

Not being convenient for you doesnt make the scenario ridiculous. You need to either go down there and plead with an actual person who can make an exception, or find out the categories of exceptions and use one of them, or go to another region/location that has easier availability of fingerprinting.