Retire from Public School then maybe...

senator

Retire from Public School then maybe...

Post by senator »

I am thinking about making this my last year teaching U.S. public high school math. I can collect my pension and move on.

As I am only in my mid-50's, I am thinking about going back to teach overseas but I want a nice, low stress country and school.

If I can't find one, I will just teach in a private school here in the U.S. - the rules allow me to collect my public school pension and then move on to a private school.

I was thinking about just retiring overseas and starting a small business, but I think I still love to teach too much.

A warm/hot place would be great.

That's the reason for my recent posts on Africa, Turkey, etc.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.
joe30

Re: Retire from Public School then maybe...

Post by joe30 »

Thailand in the Assumption College program would fit the bill. Piss easy work, no expectations or standards, 90k baht a month (not amazing but you don't get low stress without lowish pay in general). Hot and sunny, the lifestyle is awesome. Hands down the greatest country on the planet.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

First, if you want easy Id look at ESOL or a bilingual IS where the focus is more on language acquisition than academics. Pick the right city/country combination and you can work as much or as little as you want, and what you do will be in and out easy.

Second, instead of working for someone start your own IS/ES, it doesnt have to be some big IS with capital projects. There are a lot of little two story ESs and primary kindergartens. The ES is on the ground floor you live on the top floor.

Weve already discussed LCSA, you dont want to go to the DR or Ecuador or Brazil, etc. @joe30 has a great point Thailand has an easy island life, warm/hot weather year round, lots of work opportunities, and youd be following in the steps of a lot of ITs before you, its pretty cheap to live in Thailand.

Weve already talked about Cambodia and Vietnam and Sri Lanka.

Malaysia is an option not a great one, a little too pricey in KL and you want a beach, also talked about it before.

Singapore is very expensive, but its the easiest to navigate, depends what your budget is, but lots of Americans (those with coin) head to Singapore. You live on the beach, English is everywhere and its a stable well run country. Easy business opportunities, and a few bottom third tier ISs.

SK and JP are going to be too cold for you.

Wouldnt recommend China, but southern Taiwan might be an option, start a little ES, or work for one of the others.

Philippines and Indonesia are cheap, lots of fun like Thailand, but some instability.

A rarely discussed option is AUS or NZ, very western, modern, hot weather, stable country, would be the closest to living in the US.

HK would work, its the warm version of JP, but its expensive.

South Africa, but its pricey and its Africa.

Sardinia or Marsala in Italy, small town Mediterranean Europe where you can live the coastal beach life, but it comes at EUR prices. Would be a lot harder to find anything to do, that wasnt under the table. Same lifestyle in Greece but more unstable. Then theres Monaco, but you wouldnt have much discretionary funds.

Could look closer to Vanuatu, Cook Islands, Fiji, Suva. You could find something under the table do a small business, but everythings imported and its pricey.

Forget the ME

Already discussed India

By a boat, sail around Asia.

Then theres closer to home you could try the Virgin Islands, Hawaii or Guam, and a private DS, but youre going to have to work like every other DT. The Caribbean is an option but the ESOL market is lower.
chilagringa

Re: Retire from Public School then maybe...

Post by chilagringa »

Latin America is pretty low stress, assuming you have the classroom management skills.