AIS Vienna

doubtful

AIS Vienna

Post by doubtful »

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the American International School in Vienna? I've read the reviews and the Search profile, but any insider info would be appreciated.
overseasvet2

AIS

Post by overseasvet2 »

I have friends at the school and know people who've taught there in the past. It's had several heads in the last few years for a variety of reasons, including illness. The current director has a good reputation internationally and the elementary principal, who is widely diskliked, is on her way out. The Middle School principal is lots of fun.

It's an expensive city but it's one of the few schools in Europe where teachers get a tax break. Has to do with the founding of the school. Not sure if that's just for US citizens. People go there and stay a very, very long time.

I've visited and found the hallways narrow and classrooms small. The secondary teachers have small shared office space. If you're coming from a large/new facility, it would be an adjustment but not a deal breaker.

It's definitely on my radar in future years.
PsyGuy

CoWorker

Post by PsyGuy »

Last year in Italy a coworker of mine came from their. Said she loved the place, and had been there for years (close to a decade). The place has a very old school family atmosphere, thinks can seem cramped, but everyone knew everyone and the students were brilliant. She left because shed gotten too comfortable, and wanted to "live" somewhere with a little and Im quoting here "Zing". From my understanding the place can be pretty quite and routine. Shes one of the few people who actually didnt complain about the money in Italy, because she was saving more in Italy then she had in Vienna. She often compared Rome and Vienna as "Rome is to 7up, as Vienna is the same without the Fizz"
doubtful

Post by doubtful »

Thanks to both of you. You have no idea how helpful your information was and how much I appreciate it :)