Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:58 am
Topic: Teaching Abroad and Home Ownership

Re: Teaching Abroad and Home Ownership

Ah, financial sense. Where to find it? It's important to remember that for many people, a home is more of a financial drain than a boon. You put money into your mortgage month after month, you pay taxes and insurance, you buy a new roof or refit a bathroom. Miss a payment, and you could lose the who...
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:44 pm
Topic: MYP to IGCSE Without Year 10

Re: MYP to IGCSE Without Year 10

It’s more a question of alignment than adequacy. Which MYP subjects, which GCSE courses? How adaptable is your son, and how much would the new school work with you to make it work?
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:00 pm
Topic: Step Down to Get on the Ladder

Re: Step Down to Get on the Ladder

Your theory is generally correct. Now you need to start applying and see what happens. Apply everywhere with a relevant position. Sometimes it’s not necessary to move down. If this is for 2021-23 positions, take heed. Recruiting is already wrapping up, or wrapped up, for many schools. COVID changed ...
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 pm
Topic: External CV Company
Views: 2051

Re: External CV Company

True. A bad CV is not helpful. But does it really take an expensive company to take a CV from bad to good?
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:43 am
Topic: External CV Company
Views: 2051

Re: External CV Company

Way too expensive for my blood. Find a friend or colleague who’s good at this stuff and get their help for a cup of coffee.
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:53 am
Forum: Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?
Topic: How to tell if Primary actually teaches?

Re: How to tell if Primary actually teaches?

I certainly agree with other posters that a school should have a coherent curriculum and a monitoring system, etc. SEN support... all that. And transient families make our international lives all the more interesting. But I must point out that schools all over the world, and notably domestic schools...
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:46 am
Topic: Getting into International Schools with little experience

Re: Getting into International Schools with little experience

It will matter to some but not to all where you get the PGCE. Some are biased against the PGCEi as well. This matters less and less as you get more experience, so since you're willing to aim realistically in your first positions, I'd recommend the cheaper route. Once you have 10 years and a couple s...
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 am
Topic: Maritial Status: Single, No Answer... OR??? need advice

Re: Maritial Status: Single, No Answer... OR??? need advice

I have to agree - be up front. My country wouldn't recognise a common law marriage. If you went through the interview process and only revealed your partner afterwards, you would have wasted my time and yours. We'd end our conversation with a bad memory associated with your name. What's the point of...
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:02 am
Topic: Cover letter length

Re: Cover letter length

Resume gets two pages. Cover letter gets one. Regardless of other claims in this thread, as a recruiter it is the overwhelming norm that resumes are two pages.
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:48 am
Topic: 2 ESL Offers, Which One to Take?

Re: 2 ESL Offers, Which One to Take?

Chains and sisters make no difference in my opinion.
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:44 am
Topic: TES Community forums are now gone

Re: TES Community forums are now gone

Humph. I had been hoping their “maintenance” story was true.
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:42 am
Topic: 2 ESL Offers, Which One to Take?

Re: 2 ESL Offers, Which One to Take?

Established.
New schools are chaotic and lack support for new teachers. They can be great for certain personalities and certain career points, but aren’t good places for inexperienced teachers to hone their craft.
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:07 pm
Topic: How many teachers have had Covid?

Re: How many teachers have had Covid?

It’s quite a handful, honestly, across multiple schools. One principal I know died from it. And another who is an international educator extraordinaire, is currently fighting it.