Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 pm
Topic: FAQ: GLOSSARY

Re: FAQ: GLOSSARY

IHJAAALOP.

Sorry,

I hate jargon and abhor a lack of punctuation.

Just sayin'
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:52 am
Topic: When do schools begin hiring?

Re: When do schools begin hiring?

I always find it surprising that some people aren't willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars registering for a service that will give you access to your future job. It seems money well worth spending. Yes, the job fairs can prove to be expensive and beyond what people can afford. But isn't this ...
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:15 am
Topic: When do schools begin hiring?

Re: When do schools begin hiring?

I would get your Search profile finalised/activated asap. Schools will begin posting as soon as they know what positions they need to fill. A lot of schools have some point in November as their intentions for the next year date. But they may know sooner or may be creating new positions. In terms I f...
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:09 am

Re: Are there any ex-teachers on this board?

@psyguy "Your belief whether genuine or not is nothing more than your beliefs, they arent valid or true because you believe them to be. Your "might be likely to commit" is nothing more than a guess, and your preferences are just that, your preferences." And my beliefs and prefere...
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:50 am

Re: Are there any ex-teachers on this board?

@psyguy Looking at it from a school sustainability perspective I want teachers who are likely to commit beyond two years so that we can build, and maintain, momentum and, where needed, make effective and long lasting change. This has nothing to do with fear mongering, but rather a genuine belief tha...
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:38 am

Re: Are there any ex-teachers on this board?

"As opposed to someone who stayed 10 years because they didnt want the challenge, got comfortable and complacent, and their only leaving because they got divorced and the ex-spouse is now seeing the senior leadership they report too." You got me, that's exactly how it went... I agree that ...
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:36 am
Topic: Good salary in Western Europe

Re: Good salary in Western Europe

Teaching couples with no children can save very well in Switzerland. Yes, it's crazy expensive, but if you are able to live on one salary then you can bank the other.

And you're banking one whole Swiss salary, which will be decent.

The usual caveats about lifestyle etc. apply...
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:33 am

Re: Are there any ex-teachers on this board?

So, to refer back to the 5-10-2-4 year teacher... ...well, guess what I got loads of questions about at interview for the (and counting...) 4? That's right, the previous 2 year job. Which I have no problem with as I was only a few months, 4 maybe, into that second year before I was applying for and ...
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 am
Topic: Excess baggage?

Re: Excess baggage?

A few years ago we checked in 13 bags with Turkish Airlines. Had contacted them several times to see if there was any limit.
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:26 pm
Topic: Marketability and dogs

Re: Marketability and dogs

Agreed, but for me it's like the question of putting age/children/marital status on your CV or in your application.

We all know that for some places there are reasons that certain things mean you can't be considered for employment, so better just to have it all out there.
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:19 pm
Topic: Marketability and dogs

Re: Marketability and dogs

In regards to this: 'I would argue that marketability is not even a factor as you are under no obligation to tell the school about your dog; that said, I don't see it being an issue at all if you do.' I would say that if taking your dog(s) is a deal breaker then you should mention it, as if you were...
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:06 am
Topic: Police clearance checks translated?

Re: Police clearance checks translated?

A good tip I got was that you should ask when you get the police check done if the issuing office will provide an English version also. Some places will have official translators who do this, for a fee, and then it gets all the same stamps etc. as the original language version.
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:08 am

Re: Are there any ex-teachers on this board?

Let's say that one teacher has a track record of 5, 10, 2, 4 years in successive jobs and another has 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2. Nothing wrong with either - contracts have been completed etc. I know the questions this would prompt for me about possible longevity of stay and this would have an inf...
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:26 am

Re: Are there any ex-teachers on this board?

As a school if we were looking at two candidates that were very equal in terms of experience, references, 'fit' for our school etc. and one had completed four year stints at two schools, and the other two year stints at four schools, I would lean strongly towards the teacher who had stayed longer. W...
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 am
Topic: Breaking contract + finding new position in June

Re: Breaking contract + finding new position in June

Would depend how, when and why you broke contract.

If you negotiated this in good time, and were open and honest with your school, then maybe.

If you were breaking it for this late posted position, then no.