Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:50 pm
Topic: 32K - Average Salary for International Teachers?

Re: 32K - Average Salary for International Teachers?

Salary - cost of living = savings.

Some places with a low cost of living will still pay a high salary because of location. Some won't. Some places with a high cost of living will pay a salary that doesn't allow for high savings. Some won't.

I'm off to measure pieces of string....
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:59 am
Topic: Physics or Middle School Science? Ranking?

Re: Physics or Middle School Science? Ranking?

I'll bite on these two: Counselor - *** I put these so low because they really belong on the Junior Leadership scale. ISs dont really need counselors its just another student management position to inflate the leadership hierarchy. Its for when the AP/VP/DP doesnt want to do the PTA or parents coffe...
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:55 am
Topic: How many teachers have had Covid?

Re: How many teachers have had Covid?

We've had confirmed cases in some students and families as well - half a dozen students, and a similar number of parents.
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:38 am
Topic: How many teachers have had Covid?

Re: How many teachers have had Covid?

2 in my own quite small school.

And surprisingly none among my wider network of former colleagues.
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:30 am
Topic: Moving Into Admin But Down a Tier?

Re: Moving Into Admin But Down a Tier?

I agree with Sid - check the figures on Numbeo so you can work out what the savings potential is.
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:55 am
Topic: Top Schools In Europe

Re: Top Schools In Europe

@psyguy - do you have boots on the ground experience in CH?
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:48 pm
Topic: Top Schools In Europe

Re: Top Schools In Europe

Regards Switzerland - if you're with a non-working spouse and/or children, then you will struggle to save. This is a fact. Doesn't mean you can't have a nice life, but you won't also have significant, or any really, savings.

@psyguy - have you ever worked in CH?
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:40 am
Topic: How do you get to work?

Re: How do you get to work?

I met someone who worked in PNG and used to travel between campuses for meetings by helicopter, at least until it was getting shot at just a bit too much...
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:11 am
Topic: How do you get to work?

Re: How do you get to work?

School 1 - 15 minute walk
School 2 - 25 minute cycle or 20 minute school shuttle bus
School 3 - 15 minute lift with the Principal
School 4 - 35 minute commute by trams, or 35 minute run
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:11 pm
Topic: Take it or wait for a better one.

Re: Take it or wait for a better one.

@psyguy - if I give my word, and/or sign a contract, I keep it.

That's all there is to it.

Do I hope others do the same? Yes. Do I expect they always will? Sadly, no.

Am I happy? Yes.
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:58 am
Topic: Take it or wait for a better one.

Re: Take it or wait for a better one.

Do what @heliotrope suggested.

Don't do what @psyguy suggests - it's unethical, immoral and if a school were to act that way you would rightly be outraged.

Good luck.
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:01 pm
Topic: High pay package IS?

Re: High pay package IS?

Oil schools in out of the way locations.
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:22 pm
Topic: Beginning Of The End for China Foreign Teachers?

Re: Beginning Of The End for China Foreign Teachers?

ROC - Republic of China (Taiwan) PRC - People's Republic of China (China) Easy enough. The world, much of it, accepts Taiwan as its own place but also lets the PRC take a UN seat and agrees that the ROC should compete at the Olympics as Chinese Taipei. Geopolitics and RealPolitik collide. Check out ...