Search found 2053 matches

Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 pm
Topic: Admin that touch

Re: Admin that touch

I don't touch staff or students, with some exceptions, like coaching when the team comes in for a strategy huddle during time out, or a punch on the shoulder (not a real punch, you know, a soft knock, as if to say, great job), or when a player has a melt down, I might put my hand on his shoulder, bu...
Mon May 03, 2021 2:31 pm
Topic: Trends in international school counseling

Re: Trends in international school counseling

We had a counselling position open this year and got many emails regarding it. I don't know that there is a dearth of counsellors at international schools.

As to job description, I think at IS's it is still the more traditional counselling services.
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:19 pm
Topic: School is changing our contracts in the spring

Re: School is changing our contracts in the spring

I have no problem with a school changing contracts at renewal time and pointing out the changes to staff. Staff can renew or not renew based on the new terms. It is best if the school gives advance notice, so teachers can make up their minds. Heck, if the school is in a real pickle and can present i...
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:15 pm
Topic: Percent of forum posts?

Percent of forum posts?

Wow, I did not know I had made 3.5% of the ISR open forum posts. Crazy. What's your percentage? Click your name, go to your profile, and it tells you.
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:38 pm
Topic: British Columbia Criminal Record Check

Re: British Columbia Criminal Record Check

You should have criminal record checks for the last 5-10 years minimum, plus then get your Canadian record check. I have mine for the past 12 years prior to my latest job, and will get one from here before leaving. I would get them for sure - they are now required by Search for upload anyways, so it...
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:48 pm
Topic: Situation in Thailand

Re: Situation in Thailand

I haven't heard this from my friends in Thailand. Perhaps it is just some locations?
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:58 pm

Re: List of schools that hire without Schrole-ISS or Search?

Marieh, for me it is that there are quite a number of international schools in the emirates now with a high number of local students as entrepreneurs have emerged to make dirhams.
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Re: List of schools that hire without Schrole-ISS or Search?

"The UAE is something like 80% expats, so pretty much every school there will be moderately international." Ha ha ha ha ha - some tears rolling down my face. Many of the 'international' schools recruited for in the UK are not even close to moderately international. You need to be very much...
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:55 am

Hear hear Sid!

And if you are vested in a national retirement plan in a Western country, that improves your cash flow too. If you left right away and never contributed - then it's all on you...
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 am

Re: Retirement Goal

If you buy property and have a long term plan, then 600,000 can buy a LOT of property if used proper-ly :-) You can purchase several properties and carry a mortgage. If you have gauged your location correctly, you will do OK. I know I've been lucky - in 20+ years of renting, I've only had one tenant...
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:51 pm

Re: Retirement Goal

Wow. Honestly, you can think cash. But 600,000 will buy you property and housing. Housing can be rented. Property may go down in value, but it doesn't go 'poof' like stocks or bonds. Property generates monthly revenue without dipping into your principal, and if you have chosen the right market, prop...
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:05 pm

Re: List of schools that hire without Schrole-ISS or Search?

Depending on schools you are interested in, visit their website, look under employment, and respond appropriately. If you tick all the right boxes or stand out in an exceptional fashion, they will be in touch.

Good luck!
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:32 pm
Topic: Teachers who ignore all the reviews and then post a review

Re: Teachers who ignore all the reviews and then post a review

I also think after being an IT for awhile, you learn to read between the lines and winnow out the essentials for you. I take them with a grain of salt, but look for patterns over years...
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:02 pm
Topic: Curious about trailing spouse careers

Re: Curious about trailing spouse careers

Given the situation and attitude in many countries, a male trailing spouse might not be as well received, especially if you are younger. If you are older, that's different again... Here is the thing for your husband that he might not realize - teaching in a DS is a whole different ball game than tea...