Search found 1976 matches

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:47 pm
Topic: Requesting advice for delaying int'l job search

Re: Requesting advice for delaying int'l job search

Just to clarify, since it is not clear. You are a licensed teacher, properly certified in your home state? That makes the difference - not the BA, or whatever.
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:44 pm
Topic: Professor Career Changer

Re: Professor Career Changer

@PG - in my experience of 20+ years overseas, countries are not relaxing criteria, they are tightening them. So not having a licence from a Western jurisdiction is potentially going to bite the OP in the a$$. Also, if the OP runs into an admin who dislikes him, not having a license can be cause for ...
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:07 pm
Topic: Professor Career Changer

Re: Professor Career Changer

As to certification, many countries will not grant you a work permit without an educational certification from your state or national teaching licensure division. Since you have no idea what the future holds, get licensed. Lastly, it will open your eyes to teaching grade ten or nine or eight student...
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Re: How to resign and transfer my visa?

So PG, what you are saying is that nothing is certain and it's likely if he upsets his present school they might be quite motivated to have him on a plane.
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:49 pm
Forum: Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?
Topic: Lesson demos

Re: Lesson demos

Never had a digital portfolio or portfolio (I'm not an art teacher). Never been asked for one. Never presented one. Got jobs.

Portfolios or teacher binders are maybe more of a British or domestic teaching thing? Nobody I know of every used them - except the art teachers :-)
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:59 pm
Topic: Lesson demos

Re: Lesson demos

Most schools don't ask and those that do make it a requirement of application (such as Chadwick, in Korea).

No need - lesson demos are more of a British thing.
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:55 pm
Topic: How do you get to work?

Re: How do you get to work?

School 1 - Drove the 15 km down the death highway at 150km an hour to avoid being in accidents (yes in the ME). School 2 - drove leafy country lanes, small housing residential streets to school School 3 - Drove again down the highway at 150km/hr School 4 - walked, bused and drove at different times ...
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:49 pm
Topic: US equivalent bachelor's degree/Teaching License

Re: US equivalent bachelor's degree/Teaching License

@faisal an undergraduate degree in the US/Canada is a 4 year program. Education for primary is usually a 4 year program, but at secondary it is often (and usually) a 5 year program, with a 4 year degree and a one year Post-Degree education program, with perhaps an additional 6 or more months added i...
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:41 am
Topic: Advice for a college student

Re: Advice for a college student

Search Associates will take on interns, who can work for schools for a two year period and transition to teachers after the two years. The bigger issue is one day New Jersey might decide to wipe out all those old teaching certifications and start anew - and then you are really screwed if anyone chec...
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 am
Topic: Take it or wait for a better one.

Re: Take it or wait for a better one.

Quite honestly, do you WANT to work at a school with a lowball SG salary and benefits? Why - you won't enjoy Singapore and will come to resent the school. That said, let them know you have an interview with School B. You can ask for an earlier interview, but I have had positions where doing so made ...
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Re: How to resign and transfer my visa?

"Permit you to leave after 30 days notice". Great - goodbye. Happy flight back. Everything else - not our problem. And let the gears turn - and they won't turn fast. The original IS is going to slow walk everything. 30 days. OK. Release letter - we have to vet it with our legal team. Someone was sic...
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm
Topic: GRC

Re: GRC

booboo - most schools at GRC also still belong to Search or ISS.
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Re: How to resign and transfer my visa?

Here is my take. If you are looking to leave NOW, your school is going to play hardball. They can't replace you. Heck, they couldn't replace the person you are doing the extra work replacing. It is going to get messy - basically you are saying 'screw you' to the school. And if this is your first yea...