Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am
Topic: no nibbles so far

I'm wondering the same thing as wrldtrvlr123 since PsyGuy claims to have been hired by DODEA and is working somewhere in Europe for them.
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03 am
Topic: DODEA Question

SighGuy, you make laugh. You give out advice that a person needs to "balance" the learni g vs. the costs yet you have defaulted on student loans and took out student loans when you knew you could not afford to repay them. Maybe you should have taken your own advice.
Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:33 am
Topic: Schools in South Korea

It doesn't matter if you get paid or not if the action is beyond the scope of your visa. Your E2 visa allows you to only teach at the location listed on your visa, which in your case is a hakwon. In order to do any "work" beyond that listed place, you must get permission from immigration and the sch...
Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:59 am
Topic: Schools in South Korea

Oh, so your not student teaching, just observing. In any case you should be careful about your visa. Your E2 visa at the hagkwon doesnt allow for you to do any outside work and those times you arent just observing could get you in trouble. But im sure youve taken care of those things with your recru...
Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:50 pm
Topic: Schools in South Korea

You should also realize that commuting distances within a city like Pyeongtaek can be long, say 30 to 45 minutes. This is also true of most places in korea. Public transportation is readily available but traffic can be bad. I wonder how youll be able to manage both teaching at a hagkwon and student ...
Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:03 pm
Topic: Schools in South Korea

I wouldn't waste your money to join that organization. First, most of those places that they have listed aren't close enough to Seoul for you to consider an option. Second, that list is misleading since they list Goyang and Goyang City as each having schools; well, those two are the same location. T...
Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:25 am
Topic: Schools in South Korea

The two most well-known ones are Yongsan International School and Seoul Foreign School. The other two more well-known schools are located in Seongnam, which is about 20 minutes by subway and bus from Seoul. They are Korea International School and Seoul International School. I know that with the two ...
Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:32 am
Topic: DODDS Hiring Question

Dual enrollment has two problems that make it difficult, IMHO, for DODEA to offer such classes. First, in order to teach dual enrollment the teacher must have a master's in the content area, not just in education. While many who work for DODEA have master's degrees the percent of them who have it in...
Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:16 am
Topic: Master's of Ed but no cert...

States and people use different terminology to mean the same thing so the person who used "provisional" probably doesn't mean teaching adult skills. In Virginia one may receive a provisional license, which is good for 3 years, so that they can teach at a public school and during that time complete t...
Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 pm
Topic: English teacher w/ 3 dependants..HELP!

As someone who is certified in the state of Virginia let me give you the correct information regarding licensure since much of what PsyGuy states is incorrect. First off, what you need to obtain original licensure depends on the program that you complete. For example, in order to get certified at VC...
Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm
Topic: Ameson American High School Program

Thanks, lightstays and upintheair. Having lived in Asia I tend to be skeptical about things and you're information confirms what I was expecting.
Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:42 pm
Topic: Ameson American High School Program

I can't pm. If you feel comfortable providing more information on this site, thanks; if not, I understand. I've taught in Korea so I understand what to expect. Since I've worked in Asia I know to be weary of their claims, but I would consider it if I could get certain things met.
Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Ameson American High School Program

I'm wondering if anyone has ever worked for this organization or has heard anything about them. I know it's not an international school but it is teaching AP classes to elite Chinese students. Any information would be appreciated.
Tue May 29, 2012 9:48 pm
Topic: Teaching in Kazakhstan?

kazpat: The poster (psyguy) who said that there was no high speed internet has never lived anywhere in CIS. He is spewing nonsense as usual and should be ignored with regards to this thread.
Sat May 26, 2012 8:00 am
Topic: DODDS Hiring Question

PsyGuy (or Dave), The laws regarding purchasing a house are different for each country. Stop making blanket statements about something that you can't possibly know about. For example, you can purchase a house in Korea even if you are not a permanent resident and since this couple prefers to live in ...