Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:27 pm
Topic: Shanghai top schools

Thanks for clarifying wntrlscoming. I didn't look closely enough. : )
Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:13 pm
Topic: Shanghai top schools

To clarify: Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses are not recognized by mainstream Christianity as Christian denominations. Their ideology and even what they consider to be the bible are very different. Concordia's requirement of Christian Church membership is quite vague. Some of the other schools ive ...
Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 pm
Topic: Shanghai top schools

As a Christian I have considered teaching at Christian international schools. All the schools I have looked at are clear about hiring teachers that agree with a statement of faith that they have available. I'm not really sure why that is being close minded. It's a school that follows a certain set o...
Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:18 am
Topic: Shanghai top schools

Wrong. They don't want you just to teach the ideology of it. They want your life to exemplify it. They want you to be able to show students how it has impacted your own life. It's totally different than any other kind of school setting. Teachers at evangelical Christian schools pray with their stude...
Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 pm
Topic: Shanghai top schools

I don't understand why it would be unreasonable for a Christian school to expect their teachers will be Christians? It's a major part of the curriculum. If the school teaches about the Christian faith and Christian values, the teachers have to be on board.
Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:35 pm
Topic: Masters in Education: Worth having?

Light stays- interesting you say that. I have one as well and I've really truly felt it gave me the best most quality experience I could have had. I'm not saying other schools out there don't offer something substantial, but I really got to work with the top innovators in education. My colleagues wh...
Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:30 pm
Topic: Masters in Education: Worth having?

Interesting. In my state in order to gain a professional/permanent teaching license you need two years of experience and a masters degree. You have five years to obtain it from beginning with a provisional license.
Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:15 am
Topic: Masters in Education: Worth having?

My masters degree was 2 years (4 semesters) past my undergraduate studies, exclusively education coursework. What is considered a masters in the UK?
Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:40 am
Topic: DODEA Question

Yep all this I know. I don't have any lofty or unrealistic expectations. Thankfully I believe I can just update my application year by year with not too much work. If it happens it happens...if not I'm fine with that too.
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:59 pm
Topic: DODEA Question

Thanks WDD. Your feedback is as always appreciated. I'm very passionate about what I do and I'm really good at it too. I think teaching is a calling not just a paycheck. Yes, PsyGuy I know we've argued this before but I never went into teaching for the money and I don't desire a DODEA job just becau...
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:16 am
Topic: DODEA Question

Additionally though I'd be okay with doing the coursework to add a DODEA cert, I just don't want to put in actual years working in a Sped classroom for reasons memtioned above. Likewise my city has frozen our teaching licenses so even if I got the cert I couldn't teach it here right now.
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 am
Topic: DODEA Question

I'm not interested in getting in the years of direct SPED experience because I would have to abandon my ELL kids to do that and working with ELLs is my passion. Would 8 years working with them me enough to turn the head of an elite school? Maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm happy here. If going overseas...
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:01 am
Topic: DODEA Question

Sorry my typos are courtesy of my IPad.
Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:47 am
Topic: DODEA Question

I have extensive experience in ESL (US public school not overseas) along with a Masters in it. I have the DODEA qualification for ESL along with all elemtary grades, Spanish k-12 I also significant experience teaching elementary. I've just been on the fence as to whether I should add areas where I d...
Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:29 pm

DODEA Question

In an attempt to not highjack a previous thread I'm going to post my question here. There's often been much discussion in reference to DODDS hiring and certs/cert combos. In higher need areas like mine (ESL) what amount of wight if any is placed on actual expertise? For example when a principal look...