Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:46 am
Topic: Teachers who ignore all the reviews and then post a review

Teachers who ignore all the reviews and then post a review

I just noticed another recent review about a school in Switzerland. The teacher wrote the 11th completely condemnatory review after leaving in disgust. I really wonder about such teachers. They themselves either read the reviews and ignored them or didn't read them in the first place. So either they...
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:22 am
Topic: High pay package IS?

Re: High pay package IS?

They can get native Chinese teachers for about 10% of your current salary, so I doubt you'll have much success.
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 am
Topic: 45 years old. Life decisions. What would you do?

Re: 45 years old. Life decisions. What would you do?

Have the 12 years been in RoK? If so, you are only another eight years away from a pension. Option Three must be your best bet.

Also, I think coupling the Education Cert with the Kinesiology degree may only allow you to qualify as a PE teacher, and they are ten a penny.
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:39 am
Topic: The Job Search is Not Going Well...

Re: The Job Search is Not Going Well...

I get your reasoning with including the TEFL job, but I doubt it will do you many favours in Thailand, or anywhere else. Schools may think that you expect to be paid for five years' experience instead of two.
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:56 am
Topic: Bangkok & London 2020

Re: Bangkok & London 2020

General quality of schools at London was average. It seems to be getting worse lately.
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:54 am
Topic: I wish I had known....

Re: I wish I had known....

You get a lot of attention early in your career because you are cheap, not because you are good.
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:02 am
Topic: Teaching after departure is annouced

Re: Teaching after departure is annouced

How many sick days do you have? I would be making use of them.
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:54 am
Topic: How hard is it for an American to teach in Australia?

Re: How hard is it for an American to teach in Australia?

bish180b wrote: > I don't think that hard > > get registered, start relief teaching and apply for jobs and soon enough u > will have a contract > > I worked with a girl who came from South Africa, that's what she did... > > She now has a permanent teaching job Apparently an exchange can be arranged ...
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:04 pm
Topic: American sacking culture

Re: American sacking culture

Sure, I have seen places where there are too many sackings and other where there are not enough. I suppose that it is always a matter of finding the Goldilocks Zone. Interesting that no one can see the link I identified.
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:01 am
Topic: American sacking culture

American sacking culture

I have seen this phenomena mentioned through the reviews and in the fora and, having witnessed it myself, thought it was high time someone addressed it directly. Yes, they are not technically sackings as they mostly involve not renewing contracts; however, in reality they are terminations of employm...
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 am
Topic: Is Search still worth it?

Re: Is Search still worth it?

IMO, Search is worth it as it is the only one that advises of the pay up front. Gone are the days when you were encouraged to "just apply" for a job with no idea of the package, only to be insulted on the spot at the last minute. Now I can just screen out the ones that aren't paying enough...
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:16 am
Topic: Should I take this salary package?

Re: Should I take this salary package?

That was my after-tax salary in a cheaper city ten years ago with half your experience when the RMB was worth more.

Keep looking.
Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:21 am
Topic: Experienced EFL Teacher looking for a quick US Cert

Re: Experienced EFL Teacher looking for a quick US Cert

May I paraphrase?

I can't be bothered doing the training to become a real teacher but I want a certificate that says I am.