Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 am
Topic: 45 years old. Life decisions. What would you do?

Re: 45 years old. Life decisions. What would you do?

Have the 12 years been in RoK? If so, you are only another eight years away from a pension. Option Three must be your best bet.

Also, I think coupling the Education Cert with the Kinesiology degree may only allow you to qualify as a PE teacher, and they are ten a penny.
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:39 am
Topic: The Job Search is Not Going Well...

Re: The Job Search is Not Going Well...

I get your reasoning with including the TEFL job, but I doubt it will do you many favours in Thailand, or anywhere else. Schools may think that you expect to be paid for five years' experience instead of two.
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:56 am
Topic: Bangkok & London 2020

Re: Bangkok & London 2020

General quality of schools at London was average. It seems to be getting worse lately.
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:54 am
Topic: I wish I had known....

Re: I wish I had known....

You get a lot of attention early in your career because you are cheap, not because you are good.
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:02 am
Topic: Teaching after departure is annouced

Re: Teaching after departure is annouced

How many sick days do you have? I would be making use of them.
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:54 am
Topic: How hard is it for an American to teach in Australia?

Re: How hard is it for an American to teach in Australia?

bish180b wrote: > I don't think that hard > > get registered, start relief teaching and apply for jobs and soon enough u > will have a contract > > I worked with a girl who came from South Africa, that's what she did... > > She now has a permanent teaching job Apparently an exchange can be arranged ...
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:04 pm
Topic: American sacking culture

Re: American sacking culture

Sure, I have seen places where there are too many sackings and other where there are not enough. I suppose that it is always a matter of finding the Goldilocks Zone. Interesting that no one can see the link I identified.
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:01 am
Topic: American sacking culture

American sacking culture

I have seen this phenomena mentioned through the reviews and in the fora and, having witnessed it myself, thought it was high time someone addressed it directly. Yes, they are not technically sackings as they mostly involve not renewing contracts; however, in reality they are terminations of employm...
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 am
Topic: Is Search still worth it?

Re: Is Search still worth it?

IMO, Search is worth it as it is the only one that advises of the pay up front. Gone are the days when you were encouraged to "just apply" for a job with no idea of the package, only to be insulted on the spot at the last minute. Now I can just screen out the ones that aren't paying enough without h...
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:16 am
Topic: Should I take this salary package?

Re: Should I take this salary package?

That was my after-tax salary in a cheaper city ten years ago with half your experience when the RMB was worth more.

Keep looking.
Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:21 am
Topic: Experienced EFL Teacher looking for a quick US Cert

Re: Experienced EFL Teacher looking for a quick US Cert

May I paraphrase?

I can't be bothered doing the training to become a real teacher but I want a certificate that says I am.
Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:02 am
Topic: How hard is it for an American to teach in Australia?

Re: How hard is it for an American to teach in Australia?

Difficult apparently. I have a friend from the US who tried to get a job there but was politely refused as his qualifications did not match those required for a teacher registration at the state he wanted to go. Australia is similar to the US insofar that the states are responsible for education and...