Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:16 am
Topic: Week Without Walls--Need New Ideas

Week Without Walls--Need New Ideas

Not the "normal" topic, but I suspect many good ideas could come from this group. Our high school, like many international high schools, sponsors a week without walls, a chance for students and teachers leave campus or the country and experience new things. No doubt many of you have been on these tr...
Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:05 pm
Topic: June Fairs: Search vs. ISS

June Fairs: Search vs. ISS

Both are being held in the DC metro area one week apart in June. A trip to DC is reasonably convenient for us, but would rather not pay the $ to attend both if we don't need to. Any insight on which one is "usually" the better one to attend?
Sat May 09, 2009 8:16 pm
Topic: What's going on out there? Reality check

What's going on out there? Reality check

It's been quiet of late. And not heard much chatter about teachers saying how bleak, or not bleak, things are at schools in our new economic reality. From what I've read, fewer teachers were hired, and those that snagged new jobs (for the first time or merely moving between schools) secured position...
Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:25 pm
Topic: Recruiting Fairs and How to Not Attend Them

Recruiting Fairs and How to Not Attend Them

I keep hearing of more teachers getting jobs without attending a recruiting fair. I suspect with constant improvements in communication technologies this trend may continue, saving money and stress for teachers and admins alike. Common threads to pulling this off seem to be contacting schools well i...
Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 am
Topic: Home for Xmas?

Christmas Travel

I agree, no right answer, but Christmas was when we loved to travel, if the funds were there. We never went back "home." That's what summer break was for.
Mon May 26, 2008 10:33 am
Topic: Hiroshima International School

Hiroshima

My information on the school is 3 years old, so not worth sharing.
Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:31 am
Forum: Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?
Topic: Normal?

our best years

Very good years.
Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:14 pm
Topic: DODDS

Dodds

My sense is that most are offered April/May, which is still too late for many folks. But I doubt there will be many offered this year with so many schools closing in June.
Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:59 pm
Topic: overseas hire status

overseas cert

Just before we moved overseas, I finished most of my teacher cert in the states.
Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:37 pm
Topic: Vientiane International School

Laos

I've not taught there, but spent some time there a few years ago as a tourist and saw the school, but as they said, a new one is under construction. It's a lovely country and Vientiane is fine. Nothing slick and fancy, just real, and very cheap. I was there two years ago and found the internet to be...
Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:13 pm
Topic: DODEA hiring happens when?

DoDEA hiring

The official hiring of new teachers does not start until the annual transfer process has been completed.