Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 am
Topic: Most/best/weirdest questions at job interviews

Re: Most/best/weirdest questions at job interviews

PsyGuy wrote: > @Doctor > > Those were douche questions from someone who drank their IB koolaid that morning > instead of coffee/tea. I have to agree with PsyGuy on that. I would be wary of a school that overemphasizes IB jargon. Then again, I teach at an MYP school and I think all the money the sch...
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 pm
Topic: Social isolation interationally

Re: Social isolation interationally

I assume that if you are at a big school in Asia then you are in a city with a sizeable expat population. I highly suggest finding groups (expat, local or mixed) that cater to your interests/hobbies. Meetup or Internations can be good. I don't drink a ton and I have found reaching out and making fri...
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm
Topic: Should I go into admin?

Re: Should I go into admin?

Heh... Most of the admin in my school have less teaching experience than I do, so I wonder what that says about the quality of the institution. I was thinking of transitioning in around the 8-year mark - would something magical happen with those extra two years? But I see your point and it's somethi...
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:56 am
Topic: Should I go into admin?

Should I go into admin?

Hello all, I was wondering if those of your who have experience on both sides could chime in: should I think of going into admin? I'm in my 6th year of teaching, and I have had various teacher leadership roles. I've been encouraged by many people (not just admin) to go into admin. I would like to ma...
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:54 am
Topic: Should I be worried about this job offer?

Re: Should I be worried about this job offer?

Ugh... shudder. Then I would be worried.

Why not apply to one of the more established schools? There may be positions still open.
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 am
Topic: Should I be worried about this job offer?

Re: Should I be worried about this job offer?

This is also the end of the school year - check the school's calendar. Is it the last week of school? Things might be a little crazy. Also, a week isn't that long in Latin American time. Also, if you got offered a job from the head of school, it might take awhile for things to move up through the ra...
Thu May 17, 2018 12:18 pm
Topic: Question about future possible jobs

Re: Question about future possible jobs

Happened to me - turned down a job one year, and then got the same job another year at the same school.
Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am
Topic: Any tips on paths to leadership if not a teacher?

Re: Any tips on paths to leadership if not a teacher?

I agree with shadowjack. If I had an admin with little to now teaching experience, I would roll my eyes and ignore almost everything they said.
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:01 pm
Topic: Admin threatening contacting new job/removing entitlements

Re: Admin threatening contacting new job/removing entitlemen

I have to admit - the pants thing really distracted me from the rest of the post. Besides that, I agree with sid. Most of the teachers I know who have been canned and/or threatened were doing kind of half-assed jobs by the end. You might not think that, but it might be what other people see from the...
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:12 am
Topic: Receiving credential and job openings in summer

Re: Receiving credential and job openings in summer

Usually, they only care about you being credentialed by the time teaching starts, so you probably should have applied already. I received three job offers from middling-to-okay international schools the last year of my teacher training program, with the expectation that my credential would go throug...
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:46 pm
Topic: Backing out?

Re: Backing out?

PsyGuy wrote:
> Then as one might say to the Goblin King, "they have no power over you".

Excellent reference.
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Univ prof, want to teach secondary level. Please help

That's interesting, shadylane, what do you think made the difference between the successful and unsuccessful ones?
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:56 am
Topic: International Schools and Divorce

Re: International Schools and Divorce

I wonder how the divorce rates would compare for couples who MET overseas versus couples who MOVED overseas together.
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:30 am

Re: Univ prof, want to teach secondary level. Please help

shadowjack wrote: > Um, because post-secondary is financially selective and intrinsically screens out > those not interested in being educated? And secondary and primary don't? That could > be a huge component. That's a great point. I have a friend that is a university instructor. He's a great teach...
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Univ prof, want to teach secondary level. Please help

Expecting teachers to know how to teach is not sad, it means that "the system" wants good teachers. My content knowledges ranges from excellent to just okay, depending on what class I'm teaching. I'm always trying to improve my content knowledge BUT I am still a good teacher in all my classes becaus...