Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:26 pm
Topic: British Columbia Criminal Record Check

British Columbia Criminal Record Check

We are returning to British Columbia probably to retire or take on other types of jobs. However, we don't want to slam the door shut on teaching. I have been reading that teachers in BC are now required to have a criminal records check every 5 years and we haven't been teaching in BC for 16 years, s...
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 pm
Topic: Schools Recruiting With Unrealistic Expectations

Re: Schools Recruiting With Unrealistic Expectations

We were once offered jobs in Bangkok that came with a salary that we would have had to subsidize with savings. It was a big no thanks.
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 pm
Topic: Retirement Goal

Re: Retirement Goal

We're starting our next phase with $1,500,000 and hope that the 4% rule holds true.
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:59 am
Topic: How long is your commute?

Re: How long is your commute?

25 minutes in the morning and 35 in the afternoon, am tired of the commute and just figured that I spend roughly 8 entire days/school year sitting in the bus.
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:27 am

Re: Should we pull out of China move?

In the end you have to do what is right for you, not the school because they would turn around and do it to you if it fit their agenda. Last summer Shanghai American School dropped a number of teachers who had contracts, including teachers with families. In the fall they then broke contract with all...
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:03 pm

Re: Should we pull out of China move?

I am one of the staff that got back in the fall, and I agree for the most part that (2019-20) staff are back, but that doesn't mean it was easy, happened in a timely fashion, or for the faint of heart. As for new (2020-21) teachers, we still have teachers sitting in the US and Europe unable to come ...
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:18 am

Re: Should we pull out of China move?

Actually large schools in Shanghai seem to have very little influence in getting their teachers into China and even if they did have influence there are so many other variables in play that school influence would be negligible anyway. I say this from personal experience. I disagree with other poster...
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:08 pm
Topic: Teaching in China

Re: Teaching in China

Its not necessarily how a particular school reacted to the events of the past year but how China is reacting right now. My school recruited almost entirely from within China for the 21-22 school year because of the difficulty bringing new teachers into China, we continue to have teachers hired last ...
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:05 am

Re: Should we pull out of China move?

Shanghai is a fabulous city and very safe Covid wise, I highly recommend it, however coming to Shanghai right now is not for the faint of heart. There are all sorts of obstacles involved in traveling here from getting visas, to booking flights, meeting the health requirements to fly, to dealing with...
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:36 pm
Topic: Teaching Abroad and Home Ownership

Re: Teaching Abroad and Home Ownership

Personally, I would recommend it. We bought a house 12 years ago and have never regretted it. We don't rent it out and its been available to us whenever we have needed it, this was particularly useful this past year when we spent 8 months living there while locked out of China. We have kids, now gro...
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:41 am
Topic: What is your favourite 'thing' to teach and why?

Re: What is your favourite 'thing' to teach and why?

Particle motion, as we pull out the liquid nitrogen and on one day its raining ping pong balls.
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:47 pm
Topic: China all benefits taxed from Jan 1 2022 update

Re: China all benefits taxed from Jan 1 2022 update

@psyguy, we also have a social studies teacher, a LS teacher, a counselor, and a music teacher with multiple dependents
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:30 pm
Topic: VPN For China

Re: VPN For China

Astrill works for me and their support has been good as well.
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:13 am
Topic: Professor Career Changer

Re: Professor Career Changer

I don't believe you are qualified to teach in China without certification, something I would check into with all your preferred destinations.