Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:57 pm
Topic: Advice for married couples working together

Re: Advice for married couples working together

My significant other and I have taught in the same school for 17 of the past 21 years without any conflicts. Based on other couples' experiences however, my one piece of advice is to let your spouse fight their own "battles", whether they be with parents, students or administration.
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:14 am
Topic: Year off?

Re: Year off?

As the school year begins I find myself wishing that I had taken the year off.
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:36 am
Topic: Beginning Of The End for China Foreign Teachers?

Re: Beginning Of The End for China Foreign Teachers?

The 20 hours of indoctrination, excuse me PD, might scare some off. Where we pull that amount of time from baffles me, perhaps Saturday PD here we come.
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:38 pm
Topic: and it continues

Re: and it continues

Yes, it is Shanghai American School that has let go or furloughed 22 teachers and told 12 new hires they were not needed this year. We have been told that the process to bring us back has been outlined, whether it's started or not is another thing. In the meantime here we sit trying to enjoy the sum...
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:00 pm
Topic: and it continues

and it continues

A large American based school in Shanghai just informed 22 current staff they were A)being furloughed, or B)Let go and at the same time told 12 incoming teachers that they would no longer be needed. In addition, compensation for those stranded outside of China may be adjusted if their role is dimini...
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:46 pm
Topic: Switzerland.

Re: Switzerland.

Hmm, Geneva pays 308% better than Shanghai! That means I would be making roughly $400,000/year, I am definitely in the wrong city.
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:23 am
Topic: China closed

Re: China closed

and in the end I am still a teacher in China currently sitting in my dining room in the USA because the borders are closed and the Chinese government won't let me back in. Of course there is also the issue of lack of flights and transit countries not allowing transit passengers.
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:40 pm
Topic: Schools refunding tuition fees

Re: Schools refunding tuition fees

Our board specifically addressed this issue in a letter to parents after numerous requests for refunds and said budgets were based on tuition and no refunds would be forthcoming, other expenses such as bus fees were refunded.
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 am
Topic: China closed

Re: China closed

Teachers are not getting back into China right now, the door was closed no matter how exceptional you are.
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:38 am
Topic: Corona . - affect on student numbers

Re: Corona . - affect on student numbers

I teach in Shanghai and I can confidently say 75-80% of my students are in Shanghai and more are returning every day as the situation evolves both in China and around the world. We may lose a small percentage of students but I don't see this current crisis having a lasting impact.
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Re: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

Even a VPN doesn't do it because not all students have VPNs and we have been told not to use Youtube. However, we work around that by downloading them and serving them from alternate sources.
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:43 am

Re: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

"So, you work for one of those schools doing online learning, PsyGuy? No, thought not."

Obviously not, or he would know you can't assign Youtube videos because of the Great China Firewall
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 am
Topic: Situation in China

Re: Situation in China

I think our school might shed some of the grade level sections in elementary.
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:38 pm

Re: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

My life right now, 14 hours behind Shanghai time, revolves around trying to produce interesting online lessons for my kids. I spend a couple of hours in the morning answering questions that my students had while I was asleep. Probably 20% of those questions are tech in nature and the rest are around...