Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:00 pm
Topic: and it continues

and it continues

A large American based school in Shanghai just informed 22 current staff they were A)being furloughed, or B)Let go and at the same time told 12 incoming teachers that they would no longer be needed. In addition, compensation for those stranded outside of China may be adjusted if their role is dimini...
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:46 pm
Topic: Switzerland.

Re: Switzerland.

Hmm, Geneva pays 308% better than Shanghai! That means I would be making roughly $400,000/year, I am definitely in the wrong city.
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:23 am
Topic: China closed

Re: China closed

and in the end I am still a teacher in China currently sitting in my dining room in the USA because the borders are closed and the Chinese government won't let me back in. Of course there is also the issue of lack of flights and transit countries not allowing transit passengers.
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:40 pm
Topic: Schools refunding tuition fees

Re: Schools refunding tuition fees

Our board specifically addressed this issue in a letter to parents after numerous requests for refunds and said budgets were based on tuition and no refunds would be forthcoming, other expenses such as bus fees were refunded.
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 am
Topic: China closed

Re: China closed

Teachers are not getting back into China right now, the door was closed no matter how exceptional you are.
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:38 am
Topic: Corona . - affect on student numbers

Re: Corona . - affect on student numbers

I teach in Shanghai and I can confidently say 75-80% of my students are in Shanghai and more are returning every day as the situation evolves both in China and around the world. We may lose a small percentage of students but I don't see this current crisis having a lasting impact.
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Re: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

Even a VPN doesn't do it because not all students have VPNs and we have been told not to use Youtube. However, we work around that by downloading them and serving them from alternate sources.
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:43 am

Re: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

"So, you work for one of those schools doing online learning, PsyGuy? No, thought not."

Obviously not, or he would know you can't assign Youtube videos because of the Great China Firewall
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 am
Topic: Situation in China

Re: Situation in China

I think our school might shed some of the grade level sections in elementary.
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:38 pm

Re: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

My life right now, 14 hours behind Shanghai time, revolves around trying to produce interesting online lessons for my kids. I spend a couple of hours in the morning answering questions that my students had while I was asleep. Probably 20% of those questions are tech in nature and the rest are around...
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am
Topic: Search, China, and Reneging

Re: Search, China, and Reneging

I don't think its the deadly/not deadly aspect that is so overwhelming about the CoronaVirus, after all the flu has killed 8000+ in the United States this flu season. I think its the fact that unlike the flu, those infected with the CoronaVirus need more intensive medical treatment, and that is what...
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:33 pm
Topic: Using Housing Allowance to Purchase Property

Re: Using Housing Allowance to Purchase Property

We bank approximately $1300 month of our housing allowance, as long as we can provide a receipt for the total amount they don't ask or care how we spend it.
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:35 am
Topic: Situation in China

Re: Situation in China

We flew back to the US yesterday, after the deadline, and the immigration officer essentially gave us a big yawn and welcomed us back.

We were told today not to expect to return on the 17th, which was the first prediction. Some are betting early April.
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:55 pm
Topic: International vs Bilingual school in China

Re: International vs Bilingual school in China

Having worked for #1 I can attest to the frustration one can feel dealing with the issue of Mastery, however #2 could frustrate you as well as the schedule will change on a whim and holidays while seemingly generous will be offset by having to work weekends to make up the lost time. I also think you...