Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:00 pm
Forum: Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?
Topic: How competitive would I be?

Re: How competitive would I be?

You'll be competitive but since what you are looking for is so limited you won't necessarily find something good. You're at the mercy of whoever is hiring. You would be competitive if you were open minded with location, but you're not.
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:43 am
Topic: Search, China, and Reneging

Re: Search, China, and Reneging

I don't know why this would be a deal maker or breaker for anyone. I mean, China runs concentration camps and strongly limits any dissent. If you're okay with that, then is a disease that'll be gone in a few months really that big of a deal?
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:15 am
Topic: Why has recruiting become such a Gong Show?

Re: Why has recruiting become such a Gong Show?

FWIW, I felt the same way. I went to a major fair and had a few good interviews and got ghosted, and a few interviews with "good" schools where the interviewer wasn't asking about anything teaching related and simply asked a bunch of personal questions. Yeah, I get that you want to learn a bit about...
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:49 pm
Topic: Job search strategy for European Schools

Re: Job search strategy for European Schools

When is the CIS London fair? I'm looking at their website and don't see it.
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:47 pm
Topic: How to apply to International Schools without experience?

Re: How to apply to International Schools without experience

I don't think this is anywhere near the end of the recruitment period. The people who have been hired already are either perfect fits with high quality experience in the specific roles and systems they applied for, or have sold themselves short and taken something below their potential. Recruitment ...
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:03 am
Topic: Savings Potential in Shenzhen

Re: Savings Potential in Shenzhen

I have lived in SZ recently, and outside of vacations and western restaurants, I only spent $600 or so a month, and I took didis more than I should have. Public transport and local restaurants are cheap. Everything's cheap. You could literally save 80% of that easily, if you keep your holidays to As...
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:36 am
Topic: CV Question

CV Question

I used to work in politics. A few of the people I worked for have become well known. Is it a good thing, or a bad thing, to name drop political figures on my CV, or should I keep my CV vague with something like "political campaign worker"? On the one hand, people may be impressed at the people I hav...
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 pm
Topic: Bangkok Leadership Fair

Re: Bangkok Leadership Fair

I went a few years back. It was a good fair for networking. But it was a fair where most of the openings were in less desirable locations. If you really want to get your foot in the admin door and don't care where you have to go to do it I recommend it.
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:20 pm
Topic: Is only using Search Associates a mistake?

Re: Is only using Search Associates a mistake?

I would like to ask the flipside of this question. I am part of a teaching couple with some international (MYP and IB) teaching experience. I teach math and my wife teaches Chinese. We have used Search in the past. The database is great but they're not helpful. But Search is expensive, and $450 is a...