Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:49 pm
Topic: Is Search still worth it?

Re: Is Search still worth it?

I think Search was worth it, but it really depends on what you are looking for in a job (as others have said). My representative was very responsive and the data base is the best. I also signed up for ISS but wasn't impressed. It seemed that many schools had partially filled information and the qual...
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:26 am
Topic: I wish I had known....

Re: I wish I had known....

I wish I had made a plan for investing earlier. I will be fine, but I could be in a great place if I had opened up that Vanguard account five years earlier.
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:24 am
Topic: Search, China, and Reneging

Re: Search, China, and Reneging

I would hope that Search could understand the situation, but you are taking the risk of being banned if they don't. Personally, I would back out. The situation seems serious and who knows how truthful the Chinese government is being.
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:18 pm
Topic: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potential
Views: 20565

Re: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potenti

1. Is anyone else sick and tired of the same posters cluttering up the board with their nonsense? It makes it very difficult to follow the actual conversation. 2. Would you really get to enjoy Latin American culture working in Venezuela? I consider myself pretty adventurous but that is a step too fa...
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:55 pm
Topic: Feeling very stressed in my new city - Advice?

Re: Feeling very stressed in my new city - Advice?

This doesn't sound like a legitimate school is my first thought. I would try to find a way to get settled but also develop an exit plan.
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 pm
Topic: contract back out repercussions

Re: contract back out repercussions

Maybe talk with your supervisor and be up front about it? I did this during my last search. I told him that I wanted to explore a few possibilities and he agreed to try and fill my job last. That bought me a couple of extra months to look around before I gave a firm yes or no to returning. I ended u...
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:25 am
Topic: Quito Thoughts?

Quito Thoughts?

I have a job offer in Quito. I really enjoyed my interview with the principal so that's a plus. I feel like I would like the city (I'm currently in another Latin American capitol). My main concern is the ability to save. The salary would be 30,000 usd minus 8% in taxes. Anyone have experience living...
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:39 am
Topic: Job Fair Advice

Job Fair Advice

I’ve been teaching internationally for the last 8 years, but I’m attending my first fair in a couple of weeks. During the interview sign up section, what information do I need to throw out there as I introduce myself to recruiters. Any advice for this aspect of the fair?
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:20 pm
Topic: Reapplying at a school I previously turned down

Re: Reapplying at a school I previously turned down

Just wanna give you all an update...

I sent an email to the school and addressed it in the first paragraph as many of you suggested. The principal replied stating that she did remember me and would like to talk again. It all worked out! Thanks!
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:02 pm
Topic: Reapplying at a school I previously turned down

Reapplying at a school I previously turned down

A few years ago I received an offer from a school but ended up turning it down to take another offer with a better salary. I’ve since paid off student loans and would really like to reapply for a position at the school I turned down. The same principal is there. Has anyone done this? How did you app...
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 am
Topic: Rio and EARJ

Rio and EARJ

Thoughts on living in Rio from anyone who has done it? Savings potential at EARJ?
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Readers/Writers Workshop in Latin America

Thanks! I saw that yesterday when I was researching schools in Brazil. How was Curitiba?
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:31 am

Re: Readers/Writers Workshop in Latin America

Thanks! Anyone know of any others? I am shooting for South american next year and I would like to have a list of schools that use Workshop.
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:11 pm

Readers/Writers Workshop in Latin America

I am searching for schools that use Readers and Writers Workshop in Latin America. I would love to find a school in South America next year but I'm open to Central America as well.
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:04 am
Topic: Reapplying at a school

Reapplying at a school

I will be looking to leave my current school after the 2019-2020 school year. There is one country that I am extremely interested in living in South America. However, there are only a couple of schools there that pay a salary that would allow me to save significant money. One of those schools I inte...