Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:32 am
Topic: How many class periods per week do you have?

Re: How many class periods per week do you have?

sid wrote: > Our school defines a FT teaching schedule up to 16.5 hours a week. That > includes homeroom but not duties, after school activities, etc. Most > teachers come in around 14 to 15 hours. A couple teachers a year need to go > a little above, and they don’t have to do duties or after school...
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:28 am
Topic: Insurance Over the Summer in US

Re: Insurance Over the Summer in US

I really really really hate the US healthcare system.
Whenever I look up benefits at a school there is a 50% chance their health insurance will exclude the US except for emergencies or altogether.
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:26 am
Topic: Where in the World to Start?

Re: Where in the World to Start?

I know a teacher who got her international start at a good school in Tunisia which for reasons unknown to me got relatively few applicants despite a solid reputation. Her main concern was the her boy would be included by the other kids at school and at the time the school had a lot of international ...
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:54 am
Topic: Signs it is Time to Move On

Re: Signs it is Time to Move On

First contract out of university was 2 years. All contracts afterward as well. Standard. Only thing that seems to have changed is that more and more schools also have their subsequent contracts be 2 years. Used to be first contract was 2 years and the ones after that always 1 year.
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:47 am

Re: Avoid Swiss boarding schools

A recruiter has been around the block once told me that recruiters in Western Europe, Japan and Thailand have it easiest. The school doesn't need to be good, because the country is what people are applying for. There is a steady flow of teachers applying at any international or 'international' schoo...
Thu May 20, 2021 10:17 pm
Topic: Signs it is Time to Move On

Re: Signs it is Time to Move On

How schools have handled Covid was quite revealing. If my school hadn't prioritized teachers' and students' health just to pander to some parents who wanted in-person classes at any cost then I would have left at the end of my contract. There are some schools that I will no longer be interested in b...
Thu May 20, 2021 10:08 pm
Topic: Resume Services and ATS

Re: Resume Services and ATS

I would not be surprised if this is actually just part of a larger a consulting company that does resumes for any job but they market themselves as different companies 'specialising' in niche markets, with each of these having their own name and website.
Thu May 20, 2021 10:01 pm
Topic: Vaccine info in CV?

Re: Vaccine info in CV?

Yeah will depend on the country.
For some school having a 100% vaccinated staff will be a selling point, and it would be less hassle for the school, as buffalofan points out.
Of course there's the off-chance that the recruiter is an anti-vaxxer but that would be a bullet dodged.
Thu May 20, 2021 9:23 pm
Topic: Search or Schrole for Japanese schools?

Re: Response

If you look at all international schools in Japan and don't just focus just on the ones that are Search, the real number is closer to 30 percent.
Some of these are hardly international schools but they do hire international teachers so I would count them.
Thu May 20, 2021 9:17 pm
Topic: Trends in international school counseling

Re: Trends in international school counseling

I know more than a handful of students who would have either dropped out of school, performed well below their potential at exams, or would have been severely depressed if it hadn't been for the school counselors. They're vital to a good IS.
Sun May 02, 2021 8:00 pm

Re: Avoid Swiss boarding schools

I heard a similar story about a teacher having to clean up vomit regularly but this was at the most expensive of all of the Swiss boarding schools. It might be the same school as none of these boarding schools come close to being top tier.
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:35 am

Re: Avoid Swiss boarding schools

Heliotrope & secondplace, there is no point trying to argue with Psyguy. He has his own truth and will never admit he is wrong. He will try to convince you he knows better than those who work or have worked at Swiss boarding schools themselves. He is a troll.