Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:31 am
Topic: Inclusivity

Re: Response

> Many of those people I know when now asked if they are racist or anti > racist just kind of shrug and change the subject, they would rather be > racist then anti-racist. If a group is in the teacher break room and > talking among themselves and something racial comes up, and the group is > smirkin...
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 am
Topic: China Teacher Musical Chairs

Re: China Teacher Musical Chairs

My teacher friends in China were definitely in high demand this year, but also some of the top schools (with lots of expats) are (or were) hiring.
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 am
Topic: Summer Plans

Re: Response

I'm planning to meet with friends who are also staying put. Also do some recreational reading. Getting the most out of my Netflix subscription. Clean the house from top to bottom. And like @Sid enjoying what my host country has to offer, mostly day trips. Sleep in on weekdays.
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:11 am
Topic: Malaria

Re: Malaria

I agree with Heliotrope and PsyGuy that you should def ask a doctor. Prior to that asking expats who have been there a few years already and have all gotten advice from various doctors could be helpful, either using FB groups like Heliotrope suggests or using expat forums like InterNations. Your sch...
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:53 am
Topic: Most Marketable Specialization for Music Teachers?

Re: Most Marketable Specialization for Music Teachers?

> I'm also going to try to get my winter concerts recorded this year, but > using it in a portfolio might be tricky--NY has pretty strict guidelines > requiring image/media consent in schools, and it's going to require a lot > of paperwork with admin. It's tricky with large instrumental ensembles, >...
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:37 am

Re: Comment

12 years is what I heard from friends that are at their 'dream school' so that sounds about right.
Thanks for the reply!
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Comment

PsyGuy wrote:
> ::Looking around for @Sid::
> How long is a piece of string?

Just interested in personal experiences.
Of course I know there's no absolute number that is true for every teacher.
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:13 pm
Topic: Schools Unable To Employ Staff

Re: Schools Unable To Employ Staff

I heard a former classmate from university who is now in China got offers from multiple schools that she otherwise would not even get an interview for.
She left her current job because of how they treated staff during the outbreak, but had a very easy time landing a new job.
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:02 pm

Re: Response

> If you have the itch to leave for whatever reason than it doesnt sound like > your dream IS anymore. You lave because you see happiness somewhere else. Yes of course, that goes without saying. My question is how long it took for teachers to start feeling this itch, even at schools that they have c...
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:59 pm
Topic: How long do you stay at your 'dream school'?

How long do you stay at your 'dream school'?

For those of you who have been, or still are, at their dream school: how long did you stay there, or how long do you think you will stay?
How long does it take before you feel the itch to leave, when the school is everything you're looking for, and why exactly do you leave?
Fri May 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Re: Admin role

I'm still not sure why you think an apology is in order.
Fri May 15, 2020 11:22 pm

Re: Admin role

Let me break down Heliotrope's reply. First he writes: "At my school not all teachers have 'stepped up', especially some of the older teachers who are sometimes less tech-savvy took a while to adjust. And those teachers received plenty of guidance where needed from from principals and assistant prin...
Fri May 15, 2020 11:14 pm
Topic: Racism in China

Re: Racism in China

It is not as bad in Beijing as it is in Guangzhou from what I have heard.
Fri May 15, 2020 11:14 pm
Topic: Racism in China

Re: Racism in China

It is not as bad in Beijing as it is in Guangzhou from what I have heard.
Fri May 15, 2020 11:11 pm

Re: Admin role

No he does not owe the OP an apology.
I read it the exact same way Heliotrope did and I also took offence.