Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 pm
Topic: China closed

Re: Reply

Just heard from them that their schools are not holding it against them, so they won't lose their jobs over this.
Granted, these are just two ISs, and they're top tier not-for-profit schools.
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:40 pm
Topic: China closed

PsyGuy wrote:
> So theres one flight, great the IT can be on that flight.

I have friends that have tried and all failed, including flying via other destinations. So no, the IT can not be on that flight.
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:44 am
Topic: Norwegian salaries? Anyone out there teaching in Norway?

PsyGuy wrote:
> You would need to be able to teach in
> dutch though to begin that process.

Imagine learning Dutch and then arriving in Norway, only to then find out they don't speak it there.
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:43 am

Re: Director Invited me Out - Help!

> Of course it is important to point out the risks in any situation when we > have all the facts. When we start throwing guilt and shame at someone for > inviting someone out for lunch with a group of people, without really > knowing the true intentions behind the invitation or knowing who else was ...
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:57 pm

Re: Director Invited me Out - Help!

You're not making very good points @blinky, and you are misrepresenting her quotes. Power dynamics ARE coercive. And I'm quite sure the slap in the face was meant metaphorically, as reading a post on a forum can't actually slap you in the face literally. In most cases of women ARE blamed for sexual ...
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:02 am

Re: Director Invited me Out - Help!

@metooedu Just know that @blinky and @Smoko don't speak for all male teachers on this forum. I think it's always good to point out how things can go wrong, and the risks involved. Yes, it's likely that it will not escalate, but it's good to be aware that there are sadly many many cases where somethi...
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:18 am
Topic: Health Insurance?

Re: Health Insurance?

jbiersteker wrote: > Hey, a quick question (and not about Coronavirus, at least not directly). > My wife and I are leaving our present school this year (and its awesome > global health insurance) and were wondering what people do to bridge summer > coverage between jobs. I haven't looked directly at...
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Re: Director Invited me Out - Help!

@shopaholic is making the 'what if nothing bad happens' argument, while @metooedu is making the 'but what if something bad *does* happen'. I personally think it's good to not let fear dictate your decisions, but it would be foolish to consider how things might go wrong and the implications thereof. ...
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:16 am

Re: Director Invited me Out - Help!

shopaholic wrote: > Really? If I were him reading this, I would be concerned that she is likely to > discuss (aspects of) our relationship with a lot of people, both online and in person > at school. That would bother me, and not because I would be planning to do something > sinister. The successful...
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:42 pm

Re: Director Invited me Out - Help!

shopaholic wrote: > The thing that would concern me most right now is: does he read this forum? > Plenty of people I know do. For a lot of reasons connected to this, I > suggest you have the post deleted. Why? That would be quite perfect actually. He would know she finds him smart and attractive, an...
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:40 am
Topic: Is it low-level corruption if IB teachers are made to 'help' too much, or is this widespread?

Re: Is it low-level corruption if IB teachers are made to 'help' too much, or is this widespread?

sid wrote: > I'm currently working with a teacher who is of the mindset that "good > IB teaching" means that the teacher hands out a task sheet to 6th > graders, tells them it's due in 2 weeks, and sits back to watch and see > what happens. In her mind, since the IB wants students to learn > indepen...
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm
Topic: Using Housing Allowance to Purchase Property

Re: Using Housing Allowance to Purchase Property

Shouldn't be a problem. It's money given to you to pay for accommodation. Whether it's used for rent or mortgage won't and and shouldn't matter to most schools, but that's merely a guess.
But why not just ask your school?
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:40 pm
Topic: transferring US/QTS to Canada

Re: Discussion

PsyGuy wrote: > The odds of winning the lottery are horrendous, yet lots of people still > buy tickets. I might be misinterpreting your reply (since you do say the odds are horrendous), but are you saying that just because there are people that do something that is statistically extremely unlikely t...
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 pm
Topic: contract back out repercussions

Re: Reply

It has been pointed out in another thread that our back and forths are not productive. Even though I disagree with most or all of what you've just said, I'll refrain from replying, and trust other people's judgement to identify misinformation or opinions stated as fact as such in any of your (or my)...