Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:18 am
Topic: 32K - Average Salary for International Teachers?

Re: 32K - Average Salary for International Teachers?

@TCH12 Rest assured, most IT make more than that, not less. Mayeb @MusicTravel30 means savings potential? Also, the 32K number has only ever been mentioned by one forum member, and he's not telling us how he arrived at that number, so we can safely ignore it. Plus, as @secondplace sort of says, sala...
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:13 am
Topic: Time between job offer and contract?

Re: Time between job offer and contract?

offwego wrote: > How long is it, typically, between being offered a job and actually > receiving a contract to sign? > > It's been several weeks since my last interview with a particular school, > and I finally got an official job offer last week. I don't have the > finalized contract yet, but maybe...
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:52 am
Topic: A question for those with kiddos...

Re: Response

PsyGuy wrote:
> Outside of Jburg or Cape Town and some ISs in Egypt,t there arent many ISs
> in Africa worth working at.

The best IS in Africa is neither in South Africa nor in Egypt.
I would say both those countries have one good IS, but I guess we have different criteria.
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:48 am
Topic: How Competitive is my CV? Looking for feedback!

Re: How Competitive is my CV? Looking for feedback!

DaZhu wrote: > Interesting. I'm sure there is a cutoff somewhere though--do you think if > there was a teacher with 15 years of experience applying with one with 20 > years--that there would be a big difference in those (presuming all things > equal?)--they should both be experts no? On SA, they hav...
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:40 pm
Topic: Small children and pollution in Chengdu

Re: Small children and pollution in Chengdu

Piggledish wrote: > Chengdu is a wonderful place, full of interesting things to do and a nice > pace of life. A bit polluted, yes. Kids are fine most places though. > Not all of China is like that, and I've worked in many cities here. Have a > look at the greater bay area, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Fosha...
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:15 am
Topic: Making decisions on schools based on Covid?

Re: Making decisions on schools based on Covid?

chemteacher101 wrote: > Without naming names, what exactly did this school do? It's IS Manila. A few quotes from the reviews (if allowed): "Every week there are increasing number of covid cases amongst faculty. Staff have repeatedly requested to be permitted to work from home but the director is unr...
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:10 am
Topic: Cover letter length

Re: Cover letter length

Like @sid and @fine dude say, resume gets two pages, and cover letter gets one.

@Illiane_Blues
Yeah, I would cut those three, and I'd make sure 'Teaching experience' gets the most attention.
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:17 am
Topic: 2 ESL Offers, Which One to Take?

Re: 2 ESL Offers, Which One to Take?

I know a few terrible schools that have great-looking campuses, so I implore you to not choose a school based on them having a brand new beautiful campus.

@Sid makes some good points.
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:49 am
Topic: December SA Fair - How Was It?

Re: December SA Fair - How Was It?

Agree with PsyGuy - so far all virtual fairs I've heard about from colleagues and friends were underwhelming, with the exception of the GRC fair which was set up a bit better, although not a lot of hiring was done which is of course is the point of a fair for the IT.
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:45 am

Re: Response

PsyGuy wrote: > ::sigh:: > > Im often the one that cites that statistic, until recently it was 30K. Its > accurate, and its not a guess, but with two limitations: First, as @Sid > indicated its an average and its sensitive to a high number of low salary > ISs compared to a relatively small number of...
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:59 pm
Topic: Making decisions on schools based on Covid?

Re: Making decisions on schools based on Covid?

Lastname_Z wrote: > Are any of you making decisions about schools to go to based on Covid? > > For example, it seems that many of the Gulf States (e.g. UAE, Qatar) and > some East Asian nations (e.g. SK, Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore) have > dealt with Covid pretty successfully (especially compa...
Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:29 am
Topic: Is provisional license experience seen differently by employers than post-license experience?

Re: Is provisional license experience seen differently by employers than post-license experience?

In response to @Modernist's comment:
From what I've heard from recruiters, they don't care too much where/how you got your credential.
It's just a box they need to tick, so they can move on to the things they WILL use to differentiate between candidates: years of experience, references, etc.
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:04 pm
Topic: Do I have a chance?

Re: Do I have a chance?

There are two good international schools in Taiwan, both located in Taipei. One school identifies as American, the other as European. Both pay very well and will allow you to save a lot. The American one pays the most but its student population is less international than its European counterpart, al...
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Topic: 32K - Average Salary for International Teachers?

Re: 32K - Average Salary for International Teachers?

I clicked on the topic planning to type pretty much the same as @sid did, so I won't and just say that I fully agree. I've seen that number once before on this forum. I'm not sure who came up with it and what their sources were, but I think it was just a guess, so it's pretty worthless anyway, apart...