Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:50 am
Topic: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potential

Re: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potenti

It's true that schools in Latin America don't have savings potentials on the same level as the best of Saudi Arabia or China, but the Dominican Republic and Peru both have good schools with a decent savings potential. I have a friend in the Dominican Republic who is saving 25K/year.
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:08 am
Topic: Creating fake references

Re: Creating fake references

If you just want to work in a place for less than two years, try negotiating that in the contract. I know there are some schools that start with just one year contracts anyway. Even if you feel like admin are lazy and don't deserve a teacher who completes a contract, the children do.
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 am
Topic: Best Masters Degree to Pursue? Some Advice, Please?

Re: Best Masters Degree to Pursue? Some Advice, Please?

I think it depends on what you want to teach in the future. For example, the first option, the Master of Education in Teaching English as a Second Language, would seem to only increase your marketability for teaching English as a second language (eg language schools.) The last option, the Master of ...
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:22 pm
Topic: Schools that pay for flights up front?

Re: Schools that pay for flights up front?

The school's offering for you to start on such short notice is a red flag in itself. Suggests to me that something was bad enough to make someone quit in the middle of the year or the school didn't plan ahead very well. I would definitely insist on the school paying for the flight as a condition of ...
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:44 am
Topic: Has anyone suspected that a boss or colleague lied about cre

Re: Has anyone suspected that a boss or colleague lied about

Walter wrote: > You do work yourself up into a lather, Grumbler. I wonder why. Who are you to set > yourself up as the arbiter in determining a hierarchy of crimes on boards like this? > When Dave poses as an expert on all things in international education and bullies > and belittles others who disa...
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:45 am
Topic: Last straws

Re: Last straws

Broken promises over pay, professional development, and teaching assignments had made me think about leaving from the moment I arrived. The last straw, though, was the "resignation letters." When the school fired my friends, it used threats and manipulation to extract "resignation letters." Thus the...