Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:03 pm
Topic: Is Search still worth it?

Re: Is Search still worth it?

Depends on what you need. Are you a relative newbie looking for a first or second contract? If yes, then they are probably worth it. Looking for China and the Middle East? These regions keep Search in business, and you'll be flooded in openings from these schools, so if this is a goal, they might be...
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 am
Topic: Paris

Re: Paris

There are some gems in Paris. I won't name them here, but yes... they are there. PsyGuy is 100% correct in his last statement. If you are lucky enough to live and work in Paris, most fall in love with the quality of life and see no reason to leave because, as PsyGuy says, "Where do they go 'up go'?
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:51 am
Topic: Requesting Admin CV during Interview

Requesting Admin CV during Interview

Anyone ever consider requesting the CV of the prospective admin during a job interview? I've never made the request, am not sure what the response would be, but it is something I think of from time to time. When you accept to work under a school administrator, the leverage they have over you is so d...
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:41 am
Topic: Late start working toward a retirement

Re: Late start working toward a retirement

To echo what many on this board have said, you first need to go somewhere where you can save a lot, likely the Middle East. Earn as much as possible, save as much as you can. But this won't be enough. You'll need the market. Index funds are one approach, but if it is possible, you should attempt to ...
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:26 am
Topic: Being good looking vs ugly

Being good looking vs ugly

To what extent is being attractive an asset when interviewing for a job at an international school? To what extent is being attractive an asset when seeking promotion?
Fri May 11, 2018 3:34 am
Topic: Help! Need urgent advice

Re: Help! Need urgent advice

Can I ask what region or country this school is on?
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 am
Topic: The Search Blacklist

The Search Blacklist

How real is this? Does Search really ban people for life for breaking contract or leaving bad situations without their blessing?
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:43 am
Topic: When International Schools "Hold" your passport.

When International Schools "Hold" your passport.

Why do they do this? I have heard explanations that this is to process work visas, but when the holding period is for many months, I begin to grow wary. Is this a way to dissuade runners? Control for the sake of it?
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:26 am
Topic: Would You Want Your Child Taught by Your Colleagues?

Re: Would You Want Your Child Taught by Your Colleagues?

Sturgeon's Law states that 90 percent of everything is crap. In the world at large, this might be an overstatement, but I think in the realm of education, this is about correct. The majority of schools are not places we would send our children, nor would we want to work there if given the option to ...
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:29 pm
Topic: School Admin Profiles

School Admin Profiles

In my experience, international school administrators can be some of the most cruel, selfish, manipulative, unethical, dishonest, people I have ever met. They cower to power and have no greater principle than stroking the hand that feeds them. Yes, there are always exceptions but in my experience, t...
Sun May 21, 2017 10:48 am
Topic: When to Stay?

Re: When to Stay?

@Thames Pirate... Yes, I know that there will always be those who fall beyond the broad strokes that I am using in those descriptions, but they may be more the exceptions than the norm. I do think that Psyguy raises a valid point when he suggests that, if you are a career IT in your 50's and you are...
Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 am
Topic: When to Stay?

When to Stay?

Two years ago, at the January London fair, it struck me that IT's fell into two two different age brackets. The 20 and 30 somethings, overall, had an air of ease and confidence to them. Meanwhile, you could sense the tension in the faces and body language of the 40's and 50's set. And it struck me t...
Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:08 am
Topic: London Search Fair This Weekend

London Search Fair This Weekend

Any updates/diaries from people at the London Search fair this weekend?