Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:09 pm
Topic: US Citizen - Retirement Saving...?

Re: US Citizen - Retirement Saving...?

I just use a regular taxable brokerage account at Schwab and put my money in index funds. A traditional IRA would be pointless for me as I already don’t pay taxes on my income. A Roth has hypothetical advantages, but since I don’t plan on withdrawing an amount that would exceed the long term capital...
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:10 am
Topic: Sweden Residency

Sweden Residency

As I near my 50's I'm considering where to land for my golden years and Sweden popped into my mind. Assuming I already had a nice nest egg built up, how viable would it be to get a job at one of the large bilingual chains and then stick around 5 years or so to earn a permanent residency? Money would...
Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:44 pm
Topic: Vaccination and other issues.

Re: Vaccination and other issues.

nathan61 wrote: >Even with the Pfizer vaccine, for hospitalization, you get an absolute risk reduction of .84%. > A pittance. We all take bigger risks living in developing countries. Absolute risk reduction is a misleading statistic if you don’t understand it properly. A vaccine could have a 100% ef...
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:58 pm
Topic: China New Tax Law

Re: China New Tax Law

China does have a progressive tax system so tax on the original salary won’t change and will stay at an average ~20% tax rate or so. However, the housing and tuition benefits as additional income will (probably) be taxed at the marginal rate so you are looking at 40%+ on those. Probably a deal break...
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:24 am
Topic: Countries/Cities with 100K savings

Re: Countries/Cities with 100K savings

If someone knows a school in Germany that pays 90K and provides “something like boarding” please let me know so I can apply. The Durmstrang Institute maybe?
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:56 pm
Topic: Where in the World to Start?

Re: Where in the World to Start?

EyEyEy wrote: > I've read many topics since joining this forum in March and lots of it is > really interesting & helpful. However, most of the time I'm just > wondering: who is this @PsyGuy clown? My theory is that he is the owner and/or admin of the site. No one else would have the time or moti...
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:19 pm

Re: Insurance Over the Summer in US

AT&T was heavily regulated post-1956. In fact, they could not derive any royalties from their Bell Lab patents and could not enter any industry outside of telecom. Thus, any of their non-telecom research, like fMRI, was pure loss for them in financial terms. However, they continued as they perce...
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:14 am

Re: Insurance Over the Summer in US

No one’s arguing that medical research is not expensive. However, in all three examples you provided profit was not the primary motivator. The same goes true for a large amount of medical advancements from universities and other nonprofit research centers.
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:35 am

Re: Insurance Over the Summer in US

The profit motive is great for selling widgets, but not so great for medical research. The Colon cancer dna test you mention was developed at the Mayo Clinic which is a nonprofit. The COVID vaccines are largely government funded and being provided for free. The fMRI was invented at Bell Labs. Bell L...
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:55 pm

Re: Insurance Over the Summer in US

Most drug companies in the US spend more on marketing (note that drug advertising is actually illegal in many other developed countries) than they do on R&D. The old R&D excuse is just a fear tactic used by corporations to prevent regulation so they can keep their monopoly pricing structure ...
Mon May 31, 2021 5:22 am
Topic: Signs it is Time to Move On

Re: Reply

PsyGuy wrote: > @Heliotrope > > Being a good IT has nothing to do with being responsible or feeling > responsible to your students. You can despise and hate your students and > still be an excellent edu. Yikes. This is a sign that you should move on from classroom teaching all together.
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:18 am

fine dude wrote:
> Here is my shortlist:
> Costa Rica, Ecuador, Spain (if my nest egg is big enough), Thailand, and
> Vietnam

Good list. I'm also considering the Philippines, but SE Asia is my focus area with Thailand and Vietnam towards the top of the list.
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:58 pm

Re: Retirement Goal

jschott wrote: > mysharona wrote: > > We're starting our next phase with $1,500,000 and hope that the 4% rule > > holds true. > > The 4% rule was created when bonds in a 60/40 portfolio actually yielded something. > 2.5 to 3% is the new normal--if you're lucky. The author of the rule, Bill Bengen, r...
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: Retirement Goal

A nice round $1 million for me. With a 4% withdrawal rate that will give me 40,000 annually in addition to my modest social security income.
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:57 am
Topic: Visa

Re: Visa

I was hired by a school in China for this year, but was unable to get a visa in my country of residence. I even had the PU letter but they would not process it. By the time October rolled around I saw the writing on the wall and asked to be released from my contract so I still had time to search for...