Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:28 am

Re: Where in the World to Start?

The issues with a trailing spouse are less about whether he needs to rely on your income, and more about whether he will be happy, and whether the school considers you valuable enough to merit the expense. Why do schools care about his happiness? Because unhappy or bored spouses convince their teach...
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:09 am

Re: Where in the World to Start?

Maybe it hinges on how one defines “undesirable location”. To me, at the easiest level it’s any place that few people grow up wondering about. Places where few people say “I’ve always dreamed of living in…”. So, not Paris, Singapore or New York. This starting list of “undesirable locations” includes...
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:35 pm

Re: Where in the World to Start?

Please be aware that only a small subset of international teachers pick a location first. We may all have some list of favorite possibilities, but realistically chances are slim for any one place. Getting a job means fulfilling a magical checklist of improbabilities, starting with the school having ...
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:29 pm

Re: Covid and Breaking New Contract

Luckily you’re vaccinated, so protected from serious versions of the disease. Are your children vaccinated as well?
You could raise this again with the school in light of recent events, and ask for Covid-specific insurance cover. Give them a chance to step forward.
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:53 pm

Re: Covid and Breaking New Contract

Nobody said it was ok for schools to break contracts using the Covid excuse.
Not ok for schools, not ok for teachers.
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:56 am

Re: Covid and Breaking New Contract

You might also consider that a rise in cases now could well mean a reduction by the time you travel. Can you get a vaccine so your risk is low?
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:54 am

Re: Covid and Breaking New Contract

If you got hired through an agency, they will probably make you pay the hiring fee to the school, and ban you permanently from their service. This happened to a friend recently. The agency’s view was that we all know we’re in a pandemic, and that by signing a contract we are rolling the dice, so Cov...
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 am
Topic: Insurance Over the Summer in US

Re: Insurance Over the Summer in US

A lot of policies only last for as long as you are resident in the relevant country. So if your school is in Slovenia, and you're switching schools, your coverage lapses the day you get on the plane and leave Slovenia for the last time. Even if your contract goes for another six weeks....
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:50 pm
Topic: What do you think about combining a Grade 9 and 10 English classes together?

Re: What do you think about combining a Grade 9 and 10 English classes together?

I agree with your preferred approach but I need to point out that it’s not official IB protocol. IB publishes criteria and objectives for years 1,3 and 5. Schools make individual decisions about how to approach years 2 and 4, and some do indeed apply year 5 criteria to year 4.
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:55 am

Re: How many class periods per week do you have?

Our school defines a FT teaching schedule up to 16.5 hours a week. That includes homeroom but not duties, after school activities, etc. Most teachers come in around 14 to 15 hours. A couple teachers a year need to go a little above, and they don’t have to do duties or after school activities.
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:57 am

Re: How many class periods per week do you have?

I prefer hours to percentages. Percentage adds in another variable: percentage of what? Of a forty hour work week? Of a forty five hour work week? Of a thirty five hour work week? Or is it a percentage of the available teaching time, which is generally less than the total working hours? With straigh...
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:11 pm

Re: How many class periods per week do you have?

Perhaps it would be useful to talk in minutes and hours per week rather than periods per day. In the schools I’ve worked in periods ranged in length between 37 and 90 minutes long, and there were anywhere between four and eight each day. Might have been nine a day in the 37 minute school. It’s been ...
Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:20 am
Topic: Avoid Swiss boarding schools

Re: Avoid Swiss boarding schools

Well said. Personally after so many years living overseas, I'm a big fan of the "undiscovered gem" over the well known hotspot. Move to Singapore and it's true it has everything, but it also comes with a sort of expectation that you have to love it. After all, it has everything, and you sh...
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:10 am
Topic: Avoid Swiss boarding schools

Re: Avoid Swiss boarding schools

It's definitely not all about location. While we can all imagine certain locales where we would love to live, plenty of people realistically consider that they're looking for a JOB, not a VACATION. And that's before we even consider that what you consider an ideal location might be on my list of &qu...