Mon May 03, 2021 11:38 pm
Topic: School is changing our contracts in the spring

Re: School is changing our contracts in the spring

I think we all agree the school should have indicated the changes earlier, but it changes nothing for the op. At this point, he has to decide whether to sign or leave.
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:36 am
Topic: School is changing our contracts in the spring

Re: School is changing our contracts in the spring

The timing sucks, but you knew that. I wish schools wouldn't play like this, but the truth is that sometimes they do. I've been at a school where my teaching contract was similarly changed in the spring. Same sort of deal, some good, some bad, and an unfair timeline. It happened again at a school I ...
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 am
Topic: Situation in Thailand

Re: Situation in Thailand

Did things change after you interviewed, in which case it's not fair to say that things were misrepresented. Or were they already switching online/physical before you interviewed? And are you sure your source is more accurate than the person who spoke at interview? Is there a difference between what...
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:50 am
Forum: Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?
Topic: Applying to vacancy by directly emailing principal?

Re: Applying to vacancy by directly emailing principal?

It's perfectly appropriate to email the principal directly, no problem there. But it seems you've applied pretty thoroughly to this school, and they aren't particularly interested, for reasons unknown. It could have a lot more to do with them than you - perhaps they have a strong internal applicant ...
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:54 am

Re: Retirement Goal

There are. They generally experience that their buying power declines over time due to inflation.
And if you want to harness the power of compounding returns, you won’t find it in a basic savings account.
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:43 am

Re: Retirement Goal

Interesting. ISR has “edited” my post in two places to remove the word “a n a l y s i s”.

****************************************************************************************
ISR NOTE: I can assure you we did not edit your post. BEN @ ISR
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 am

Re: Retirement Goal

The 4% rule is greatly debated. Basic premise: if you invest 40/60 and take out 4% in your first year of retirement, adjusting for inflation in following years, your portfolio has a 95% chance of lasting at least 30 years. As pointed out, the original creator has upped it to 5% as recently as fall 2...
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 pm

Re: Retirement Goal

nathan61 wrote: > It depends when you are buying into the market, and what your timeline > looks like. Were I going to retire in five years I would not be that > excited about putting money into stocks right now. Past performance does > not predict future success. I am a very careful type, and to me...
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:00 am

Re: Retirement Goal

shadowjack wrote: > Wow. Honestly, you can think cash. But 600,000 will buy you property and > housing. Housing can be rented. Property may go down in value, but it > doesn't go 'poof' like stocks or bonds. Property generates monthly revenue > without dipping into your principal, and if you have cho...
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: Retirement Goal

It’s quite a personal number, of course. Family circumstances and size, lifestyle preferences, country of residence, whether your country of citizenship or residence will have your back if your finances or medical situation go pear shaped. Don’t presume that my number is relevant to you.
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 am

Re: Retirement Goal

2.5 to 3 million in personal investments, presuming no retirement income from other sources like the government or past employers.
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:02 am
Topic: Avoid Swiss boarding schools

Re: Avoid Swiss boarding schools

Happy to say I've found 3 of 3 in my current country and the 2 immediately preceding it. In my earlier career, it was 2 of 3, and in my first post, only 1 of 3.
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:47 am
Topic: Teachers who ignore all the reviews and then post a review

Re: Teachers who ignore all the reviews and then post a review

Some never knew about ISR. Some had reasons to take the job anyway. Some just keep writing more reviews on top of the ones they wrote last year and the year before. And at least one applicant assured me that she writes a bad review for any school that doesn’t offer her a job. So let’s call it a mix.
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:15 am
Topic: Ghosted

Re: Ghosted

A diatribe which reveals PG’s personal philosophy and should not be taken as revealing anyone else’s.