Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:12 am
Topic: Summer Plans

Re: Summer Plans

Staying put and enjoying what my host country has to offer.
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:50 pm
Topic: How long do you stay at your 'dream school'?

Re: How long do you stay at your 'dream school'?

Until something, or some combination of things, changes too much.
It’s happened to me. I was in a place I could have stayed indefinitely, but over time it changed. It was no longer what I signed up for.
I’ve been lucky enough to find a second such place. Fingers crossed.
Sun May 31, 2020 8:33 am
Topic: degree in subject matter vs. certification

Re: degree in subject matter vs. certification

I partially agree in that a degree shows in depth subject knowledge.
But... without a license, many schools and countries will be closed off to you. And a license demonstrates pedagogical knowledge as opposed to subject knowledge. Which is more important? Chicken and egg.
Sun May 31, 2020 8:30 am
Topic: Should I get a second credential?

Re: Should I get a second credential?

I’d recommend a different option. Convince your current school to move you to MS English. Get your experience that way and then move on. Your current school is more likely to take a chance on you than a school that’s never seen you operate. Many schools and countries will be open to you without the ...
Sun May 17, 2020 12:09 am
Topic: Admin role

Re: Admin role

This is possibly the most boring fight ever seen on this forum. Not even popcorn and a beer can save it.
Sun May 10, 2020 1:21 pm
Topic: PYP Online Certification?

Re: PYP Online Certification?

It’s not a certification in the sense that it’s not a legal qualification. It’s a certificate, more like the many certificates you must have collected over the years for two hours on differentiation or a day’s training on supporting ELL. So proceed with caution. You’re in a better position than some...
Sun May 10, 2020 1:11 pm
Topic: Golf in the Middle East

Re: Golf in the Middle East

Define affordable. There are many courses and many teachers play. So it must be affordable by some definitions.
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:55 pm
Topic: Schools refunding tuition fees

Re: Schools refunding tuition fees

Similar here. A refund related to extras like lunch and after school activities. Tuition remains the same.
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:14 pm
Topic: Clerical and administrative

Re: Clerical and administrative

Depends whom you ask. Clerical is secretarial sort of stuff. Admin could be anywhere between that and the director.
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:02 am
Topic: Can I force Majeure?

Re: Can I force Majeure?

SJ is correct. So far, lots of rumors about force majeure, but I haven’t seen a single direct claim of a specific school. One guy on another forum tried to claim he knew several specific schools closing down, and he was quickly shouted down by people who knew it was not true. People are worried. Tha...
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:44 pm
Topic: Norwegian salaries? Anyone out there teaching in Norway?

Re: Norwegian salaries? Anyone out there teaching in Norway?

You might need to recalibrate your understanding of “good salary”. Norway has benefits that go beyond salary. Good retirement. Good social benefits like medical and maternity. Also high taxes. Salaries are relatively flat there compared to much of the world, with less difference between the lowest a...
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 am
Topic: Schools refusing to close due in COVID-2019 pandemic

Re: Schools refusing to close due in COVID-2019 pandemic

Some people are legitimately idiots and really believe it’ll all be fine. It’s a hoax. I won’t get it. Kids don’t get that sick. Etc.
others might be concerned about tuition, parents demanding refunds or discounts, dropping enrollment.
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:03 pm
Topic: Director Invited me Out - Help!

Re: Director Invited me Out - Help!

Having been around the block a few times (25+ years overseas), it really isn’t as black and white as people might want. In some cities with millions of inhabitants, a massive international expat community, etc... sure, yeah, I’d tell everyone to go fishing in the wider pool. But there are tons of in...