Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:02 am
Topic: Can I force Majeure?

Re: Can I force Majeure?

SJ is correct. So far, lots of rumors about force majeure, but I haven’t seen a single direct claim of a specific school. One guy on another forum tried to claim he knew several specific schools closing down, and he was quickly shouted down by people who knew it was not true. People are worried. Tha...
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:44 pm
Topic: Norwegian salaries? Anyone out there teaching in Norway?

Re: Norwegian salaries? Anyone out there teaching in Norway?

You might need to recalibrate your understanding of “good salary”. Norway has benefits that go beyond salary. Good retirement. Good social benefits like medical and maternity. Also high taxes. Salaries are relatively flat there compared to much of the world, with less difference between the lowest a...
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 am
Topic: Schools refusing to close due in COVID-2019 pandemic

Re: Schools refusing to close due in COVID-2019 pandemic

Some people are legitimately idiots and really believe it’ll all be fine. It’s a hoax. I won’t get it. Kids don’t get that sick. Etc.
others might be concerned about tuition, parents demanding refunds or discounts, dropping enrollment.
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:03 pm
Topic: Director Invited me Out - Help!

Re: Director Invited me Out - Help!

Having been around the block a few times (25+ years overseas), it really isn’t as black and white as people might want. In some cities with millions of inhabitants, a massive international expat community, etc... sure, yeah, I’d tell everyone to go fishing in the wider pool. But there are tons of in...
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:38 am
Topic: Is it low-level corruption if IB teachers are made to 'help' too much, or is this widespread?

Re: Is it low-level corruption if IB teachers are made to 'help' too much, or is this widespread?

Long ago, in the annals of teaching history, I was involved in two relevant situations. Both were ultimately solved with the same strategy that I suggest you use now. In the first one, I discovered that the grade on a student's report card was significantly higher than the one I had posted. Figuring...
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:49 am

That does sound like too much. Don’t do it. Your integrity is worth more than that. Don’t sign the various forms unless you agree with what you’re signing. Speak with the coordinator about your concerns and intent. Contact the IB if needed.
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:26 am

Can you define "help" with a little more detail? If the teacher is asked to do the typing (or the dictating) for a student's assessment, that's bad. If the teacher is asked to give formative feedback that suggests where the student needs to pull up their socks, that's generally good. Unless it reach...
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:25 am
Topic: Director Invited me Out - Help!

Re: Director Invited me Out - Help!

She did. Ignore her. If you think you might have an interest, why not accept. It's a group situation and a chance to test the waters in a relatively safe environment. Go slow, go carefully. If you find love, great, but have a think in advance about what happens in case things go south. Also explore,...
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Re: Roth IRA and Foreign-Earned Income

Mu yourself. Maybe later we can go out and take a tally of the prices of all the items for sale in an Asian megamall, from the smallest single piece of candy up to the $3,000,000 luxury condo. Surely the average of those numbers would be useful in knowing how much cash to shove in our pockets before...
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Re: Reply

PsyGuy wrote: > @Sid > > Yes, but it does have an average ROI and a mean, mode, median for the class > of investments. There is no “it”. IRA is not one thing. It is every sort of investment from highly speculative to plain old savings account. I suppose in theory one could add up the contents of eve...
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:29 pm
Topic: Who'd You Rather?

Re: Who'd You Rather?

Without a CV and an interview? Shooting in the dark and revealing our innate beliefs? I’ll play. First, e. I’ve worked with several and they all did great. Heads down, never complain, meet all deadlines, effective, calm and persistent with students, all policies followed. They’ve seen the big pictur...
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 am

Re: Roth IRA and Foreign-Earned Income

You do realize that an IRA isn't a single thing with a single ROI, right? You can put any sort of (legal in the US) investment in there. Even actual real estate. Non-US investments.
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:52 pm

Re: Roth IRA and Foreign-Earned Income

Before you can fund a traditional IRA, you have to earn ABOVE the foreign earned income exclusion. Anything earned over that exclusion can be put into an IRA. But that’s a high income bar that most expat teachers won’t reach.