Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:24 pm
Topic: Life insurance for expats

Life insurance for expats

Sorry if this has been covered, but the search function keeps excluding the word "life" so I can only find stuff about health insurance. What's the deal with purchasing life insurance when living abroad? I tried purchasing from a major company in my home country and did not qualify due to my address...
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:14 am
Topic: Laziest Students in Asia?

Re: Laziest Students in Asia?

I've taught super lazy Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Thai students... which is to say that I think that the overall culture of the student body at a school can have a very large impact on students regardless of the national systems they've come from, their cultural upbringing, or parental pressure.
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:58 pm
Topic: Advice needed

Re: Advice needed

It's possible. I know of a non-native English speaker hired to teach at an international school in Japan- Eastern European but had a native English spouse as part of a teaching couple, so that probably helped.
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:33 pm
Forum: Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?
Topic: Ichiro examples

Re: Ichiro examples

Ugh Psyguy your description of Ichiros is a great encapsulation of why I don't go to job fairs. I still can't believe schools would want this ridiculous stuff!
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 am
Topic: Why intl schools promote diversity but do the opposite

Re: Why intl schools promote diversity but do the opposite

Based on my own experience at an international school, I would have to say the answer (although not at all a legitimate one) is parents. I've seen many international school parents be unapologetically racist, so when their children do racist things at school, they really don't care. They are paying ...
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:00 am
Topic: Search technicality
Views: 1967

Search technicality

Will I have to repay my Search fee if I change my date of availability to later in the year? I haven't accepted a new position, but will be continuing in my old position.
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:32 pm
Topic: Career change from corporate job - experiences?

Re: Career change from corporate job - experiences?

Saying you want to go into international teaching to have more free time strikes me as very odd. I know many people who have left teaching or taken break years due to the massive amounts of time it consumes. Especially if you are talking about E. Asia. One thing to keep in mind is that school time i...
Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:34 pm
Topic: US college student thinking of teaching abroad

Re: US college student thinking of teaching abroad

Sorry stormageddon, I missed the first part of your original post that said you were also getting a degree in secondary ed. That should mean you will come out certified right? I think if you have a certification somewhere, your chances of getting hired overseas right away out of college are higher, ...
Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:54 pm
Topic: US college student thinking of teaching abroad

Re: US college student thinking of teaching abroad

I would caution anyone from walking into a full time teaching position straight out of college with no real teacher training. Even though I worked in teaching assistantship type positions all through college, my preparation was nowhere close to where I realized it needed to be once I enrolled in an ...
Mon May 23, 2016 5:29 pm
Topic: Phone apps for translating non-Roman alphabet languages

Phone apps for translating non-Roman alphabet languages

Does anyone have good suggestions for apps that can be used to look up words or phrases one might encounter on a sign or on a product that aren't written using the Roman alphabet? I would think that by now someone has probably come up with something where you could take a picture of the word to get ...
Fri May 06, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Teaching IB

Become familiar with the assessment criteria early on and use them to structure your assignments and formative assessments. This will help you and your students become comfortable with the language and expectations.
Fri May 06, 2016 8:15 am

Re: Teaching IB

Well, it's not so bad with just one SL student. I have found that the time some teachers allot for review in DP is sometimes overkill and I need to spend more time teaching it the first time around than is allotted on their calendars-- just find what works for you. The one thing I would definitely a...
Fri May 06, 2016 7:17 am

MYP or DP?

You can start by reading the guides for each subject, which you can usually find on google if you don't have an IB logon yet. But surely they will be sending you to training right?
Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:58 am
Topic: Offer vs. Offer, which would you take?

Re: Offer vs. Offer, which would you take?

If it weren't for the 6 preps, I would go with getting IB experience. But 6 preps plus less savings to pay off loans sounds like a lot of stress for a line on your resume that, at the end of the day, could mean very little. If you work on implementing strong curricula at IS 1, that could be just as ...