Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:30 am
Forum: Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?
Topic: Skype Interview Advice

Re: Skype Interview Advice

I had my iPad propped up on a music stand, with all my notes stuck on the wall behind it. Shirt & tie, with jeans on the bottom half (wouldn't risk the PJs!)
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:22 am
Topic: Have you ever stopped an interview right on the spot?

Re: Have you ever stopped an interview right on the spot?

Only once did I feel the urge - when the interviewer made a comment about my experience that was at best uninformed and at worst downright rude. There were other reasons I carried on, though. Didn't get the job, and having spoken to the person who did, turns out my suspicions of the HoD were correct...
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:06 pm
Topic: Is Search still worth it?

Re: Is Search still worth it?

If you're in the UK, Search is completely free (because of the UK law on recruitment agencies not being able to charge candidates.) So for British based teachers, this probably means they should register with Search anyway on the basis that there's nothing to lose for doing so.
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:48 pm
Topic: Schools that pay for flights up front?

Re: Schools that pay for flights up front?

First school offered to book, second school didn't. Personally I prefer to book myself and then get a refund - I get to choose the routing and if I want to upgrade it's easier, the school then refunds the economy class fare they would have paid (or whatever the deal is.) My first school, when I left...
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:34 pm
Topic: A contract with a car?

Re: A contract with a car?

My previous school gave a car to the principal - got a lift in it once and let's just say he'd adapted his driving to match the locals! Current school offers a driver to the principal instead.
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:47 pm
Topic: Teaching International Schools in China

Re: Teaching International Schools in China

I'm going to add another thing which will make things difficult for you - if you're going to do this on your Chinese passport, you will find that the best international schools won't hire you. First, it will make their life too difficult, and secondly, the local parents will react badly to their kid...
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:51 am
Topic: Saying No Politely

Re: Saying No Politely

Personally, if I were you, I'd go for the interview if you're new to this. First, the process can be different from a face-to-face interview, if it's done over Skype - if nothing else, it feels different - so it might be worth it for that experience alone. Second, interview experience is interview e...
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 am
Topic: Search Associates Agreement

Re: Search Associates Agreement

I think - though I accept I may be wrong - that the account is only deactivated for job search purposes. So if you reactivate after your first year of a two year contract in order to look for a new job, then your membership would simply carry over. I remember reading this somewhere on the site but s...
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:44 am
Topic: Follow-up Emails/Application Response Wait Time

Re: Follow-up Emails/Application Response Wait Time

Chances are, you won't hear unless they offer you an interview. Most international schools are really bad at communicating how long to expect.
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:02 pm
Topic: Sudden break in contract

Re: Sudden break in contract

One thing I would possibly ask is sight of the references - if they have told you what they are putting in them, then they shouldn't really have a problem, and if they aren't keen to show you them that would ring an alarm bell. That said, there are plenty of options - as psyguy said, travel for a bi...
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 pm
Topic: Advice wanted- Making myself marketable

Re: Advice wanted- Making myself marketable

PGCEi sticks out as the obvious one here. Combined with your MEd and your Thai license this might be enough.
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 pm
Topic: Jobs posted on ISS-Schrole, not on Search..

Re: Jobs posted on ISS-Schrole, not on Search..

I've only let Search know when I've been offered a job through someone else - as far as I'm concerned, if I don't see it on Search then they (Search) don't have any interest in that application and therefore I don't need to tell them about it.
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:22 pm
Topic: Last straws

Re: Last straws

I love the school I'm in, I quite like the city, but I know that in a couple of years I will have had enough and be ready and able to move on. My first school, the city and school were both tolerable but the novelty wore off very quickly!
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 pm
Topic: Stay or go--how do you make a decision?

Re: Stay or go--how do you make a decision?

Missing one key element here - at what stage is your son in education? As a parent, that for me would be the key. If he's going into DP / A Level, do the subjects on offer at your current school match your son's interests? If he's younger, where is he in the school process - if he's mid-IGCSE, then ...