Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

HR mentioned they have 10 days after finalizing the referral list to make a decision. Is that standard procedure, or something new this year?
Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:16 am

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

Spoken songs can be hard. I've made a fool of myself with "If a Had $1,000,000", but Ice Ice Baby always works. Lol I will pass off my phone; they won't interrupt the test session though- it's stupid strict. Hall monitors can't procror. I have to have the hall monitor grab another licensed teacher i...
Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:31 am

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

Now I have Hotel California stuck in my head!!!! Well played. Unfortunately for me, during state tests (which are FIVE weeks during may and June) phones aren't allowed in the test session and getting caught means you can be fired and lose your license. I mean, my kids are 8. But they are afraid we w...
Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:50 am

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

Ok thanks, I appreciate the input. I am going to keep my phone on me and ringer on at all times (with the exception of during our testing period) just in case. I am hoping to receive a call about this position, surprisingly, it is not for sped, but the 4 sped certs can't hurt my chances as this is a...
Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:50 am

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

What's the usual turn around time between creating a referral list and a principal scheduling interviews? I imagine in March there is no rush to hire?
Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

So does this mean there were no available local hires, or could they be on the list too.
Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

I made a referral list! What is my next move? Wait? I will say this happens to be a principal who I emailed my resume and letter of intent a few months ago and the response was "Thank you for your interest, but HR will send a list of qualified applicants if I have an opening". My gut feeling is to a...
Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:20 pm
Topic: Career ITs and retirement

Re: Career ITs and retirement

Do you like where you are? Honestly, it sounds like you've got a good thing going and you should stick with it. I've never taught overseas but I'm trying to. Here's some perspective - I've been teaching in the states for 16 years with an advanced degree, with some of the same problems you've mention...
Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:00 am

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

That's helpful, thank you. I had wondered if Europe was changing over the migrant situation. I have several friends living in Italy that don't notice anything, but I think Germany and Belgium are a different story. I've heard they are housing the refugees in old DoD campus buildings that have closed?
Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:06 am

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

I hear ya, and everything you are saying makes sense. I guess I need to decide if I will be happier teaching in the public school where I am now, or moving to Asia somewhere I've never been or know nothing about. I will say, I am the kind of person who struggles with the initial decision, but once i...
Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:40 am

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

There were close to 20 sped opening that I'm qualified for during the transfer round. Obviously, the locations will change as people have transferred. But is it safe to assume the number of *possible* Openings will be the same?
Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:18 pm

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

That's good news! Thank you for the reply. So I'm not shooting myself in the foot completely by not selecting areas in the Pacific if there are sped openings everywhere? I think Japan would be a great experience, but I am hesitant for two reasons: 1) pet quarantine- I love my dog and don't want to p...
Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Re: DODDS Hiring Question

What does hiring look like for Dodea this year? Is the timeline different this year? I know the transfer round was several months earlier, and I got an email saying hiring would begin in March. Ihave 15 certs, most of them SPED and 16 years of experience, mostly sped. Is Sped a position that hires s...
Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:44 am
Topic: Any updates on DODEA?

Re: Any updates on DODEA?

I'm also curious about the "methods of teaching art, music or PE" course for elementary certification. I have a degree in elementary and special Ed - my university had this requirement too, but also included drama/theatre as an option. Since I was a theatre minor, I took Creative Dramatics to fulfil...