Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Re: Questions for possible career changer

Hello all (@psyguy in particular) I saw a job advert for a Geography teacher at a school in eastern europe that has certain requirements (see below). With a PhD in Geography (several years teaching experience at uni level) and assuming I get QTS through the MI route, might I be considered even thoug...
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:09 am

Re: Questions for possible career changer

Ok thank you again all for the really helpful advice and info. Kind regards!
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Re: Questions for possible career changer

@Psyguy, thank you again for the really helpful responses. For those schools that offer contracts are they usually renewable (e.g. until either . wants a change, or until the teacher retires?)? Cheers
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: Questions for possible career changer

Hello again, Thank you for all the previous assistance. I just have a few queries further, if you don't mind: 1) What is the potential for getting a permanent job in an IS? One of the issues I have faced working in foreign unis is that I am always on contracts; is it perhaps a bit more secure in ISs...
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Re: Questions for possible career changer

@PsyGuy Many thanks for your response. Interesting to learn about RIS, will look into it. Just to clarify please... When you say 'intern class IT' do you mean an intern as in internship - like a teaching assistant to a teacher? Re it being harder after 50 does that apply even to positions in more ha...
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: Questions for possible career changer

Hello all, I just thought I would revive this post and seek some advice. More than two years on and I'm still a Geog professor in a developing country. I have another 2.5 years on my contract and make good money so feel inclined to stick it out. Due to my specialism in island studies I feel restrict...
Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:21 pm

@PsyGuy
Ok many thanks, it is much appreciated! With all best wishes. Cheers.
Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:17 am

@PsyGuy
Ok thank you for explaining that and for the pragmatic advice, much appreciated! I was also wondering, after a few years abroad are there realistic chances of finding a decent job back in the UK in a private/independent school? Cheers.
Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Re: Questions for possible career changer

@PsyGuy Thank you, it’s all becoming clearer! If it's okay(?) I just have a couple more queries: 1) Where a school position in UK requests for ‘a teaching qualification’ do they typically mean PGCE or can it refer to QTS too? 2) Should I really get a couple years’ experience in UK first before ventu...
Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Re: Questions for possible career changer

@PsyGuy Thank you again, that really helps to know what to expect! I just have a few final further questions please: 1. The MI test appears to be composed completely of multiple choice questions with no written assignment – is that your experience? I tried the sample – seemed fine. 2. Re CRB, can fi...
Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:16 pm
Topic: Africa

Re: Africa

Hi there, I hear Botswana has good private hospitals. Also good private schools that might be worth checking out. Good luck!
Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Questions for possible career changer

@ Psyguy Thank you again for your really helpful responses! If you don’t mind (?), I have a few queries further. I read up on the MI program and believe this is what you are referring to: https://www.missouristate.edu/certification/certthroughdoctorate.htm However, I didn’t see Geography as one of t...
Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Questions for possible career changer

Dear Psyguy, Many thanks for your very informative and prompt response! Wow, the MI alternative sounds interesting. If it just takes two days though how qualified am I going to be, or is it some kind of fast-track scheme for people with experience/academic background? I thought schools specifically ...