Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 am
Topic: Objectives and Success Criteria on the Board

Objectives and Success Criteria on the Board

I have started work at a school that insists that objectives and three level success criteria are written on the board most, is not all, of the time. Is this peculiar to the curriculum I'm working with or is a common occurrence in international schools? How about in IB/PYP and schools that practice ...
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:46 am
Topic: Airport baggage allowance

Re: Airport baggage allowance

Check out www.sevenseasworldwide.com . They are picking boxes up from our UK house today. They have been recomended on here a few times. So far so good. Quite efficient.
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:19 am
Topic: Where to go from here and how to find it?

Re: Where to go from here and how to find it?

Thanks all. Most comments tally with what I thought (I thought) I knew.

One last question.....how about Switzerland? Are there many schools that would fit the bill? German side prefered, but anywhere would be good.
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:08 am
Topic: Where to go from here and how to find it?

Re: Where to go from here and how to find it?

Anyway, back to the thread. We both pay into a Euro pension, even though we don't live there, so we have some fixed retirement income covered. But yes, US$30,000 a year would be desirable, US$24,000 would be essential. Not really interested in Western Europe, but Eastern Europe is appealing, particu...
Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:53 am
Topic: Where to go from here and how to find it?

Where to go from here and how to find it?

We are a North American/European teaching couple and both primary/elementary (although one of has taught up to 8th Grade as a generalist and math/science teacher and would prefer to be in a middle school environment). We have nine years experience each, four years in North Africa (Canadian school), ...
Thu May 26, 2016 1:17 am
Topic: Bachelor and teacher cert versus Bachelor in Education ?

Re: Bachelor and teacher cert versus Bachelor in Education ?

I have a BA (four years) and a B.Ed. (equivalent to 1.5 years, but squashed into 12 months). This seems to be the most common route into teaching where I did my qualification. There are also four year B.Ed.s, but I don't know anyone who went that route. Typically people do a subject based bachelors ...
Mon May 23, 2016 10:33 pm
Topic: Phone apps for translating non-Roman alphabet languages

Re: Phone apps for translating non-Roman alphabet languages

I can't get Google apps to work in China, which is a shame, because the Chinese translator works great outisde China.
Sat May 21, 2016 9:16 pm
Topic: Location to pursue a teacher's pension?

Re: Location to pursue a teacher's pension?

I was under the impression (although I could be wrong) that you needed to work for QSI for ten years to qualify for their pension. Seems like a very long time.
Wed May 18, 2016 7:43 am
Topic: Reconnecting with the IRS

Re: Reconnecting with the IRS

No, pretty sure they don't have any income in the US.
Wed May 18, 2016 7:20 am
Topic: Reconnecting with the IRS

Reconnecting with the IRS

I have a friend who's been out of the US for 10 years, This person hasn't filed taxes for the majority of that period, but feels a need to make amends and start afresh. This person has been teacher the whole time and not earned anywhere near the US tax threshold (I'm not from the US, so just going b...
Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:58 pm
Topic: Out in the Sticks - Rural International Schools

Re: Out in the Sticks - Rural International Schools

We're moving to somewhere that might be considered rural, although it is within 45 minute driving distance of a major city. We're a family and the idea of having a house and a barbecue and a paddling pool for the kids is becoming stronger. We're fed up with aprtment living. The desire to be near bar...
Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:37 pm
Topic: Health Insurance Providers

Re: Health Insurance Providers

As a family we had a Bupa policy for a couple of years. I believe the deductible was US$10,000, because really the reality was, we weren't looking for a healthcare policy, we wanted a financial ruin prevention policy.