Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 pm
Topic: Whoa...Back It Up!

Poor practice

Humm, sounds fishy. Bad practice on their behalf. You need to tell your representative at your agency about the discrepancy. I would tell the school what you WILL accept and why. If you can't get what was advertised, I'd take that as a red flag. What else is not going to be honoured: accommodation, ...
Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:49 pm
Forum: Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?
Topic: Breaking contract for an offer you really want - issues?

Re: Breaking contract for an offer you really want - issues?

Personally, I would NOT break contract. There maybe times when one has to leave a school because it is not honouring it's contract, safety issues or disregard and ill treatment of a teacher. But I wouldn't do it, otherwise. Is it possible that if you do get offered the dream job, you can let that dr...
Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:36 pm
Topic: Turkey- a new dawn

Turkey- a new dawn

How are teachers feeling about taking a two year contract in Istanbul or Izmir after the last years' violent unrest?
Would you still go? Teachers have been there in 2016 and now, what is your advice to prospective teachers thinking of moving to Turkey?
Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:57 pm
Topic: Best Housing for Singles

Re: Best Housing for Singles

Reisgio, Thank you for your response. Nice pool at the end of the day to wash away our cares, makes a big difference, doesn't it :) I haven't figured out how to personally message someone on here, yet, or I would have replied to your question.
Happy New Year.
Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:50 pm
Topic: Fair Prep Bangkok/London/Boston
Views: 19859

Re: Fair Prep Bangkok/London/Boston

Thames Pirate. I like the idea that ISS has: the virtual fair. Maybe that is the compromise and the way of the future.

Happy New Year.
Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:22 pm
Topic: Fair Prep Bangkok/London/Boston
Views: 19859

Re: Fair Prep Bangkok/London/Boston

Most of the fairs are held during school session, which is often impossible for teachers to get the time off to attend unless they are relatively local and can be reached over a long weekend. Even if ones' contract allows a few days off to attend, they are often a long way off and very costly. Perha...
Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:53 pm
Topic: School Counselor with Social Work degree

Re: School Counselor with Social Work degree

Happy New Year Eion, Thanks for the links. It would seem that there needs to be a global college counselling course. High School counsellors have the daunting task of knowing many countries' university entrance procedures for the international student; there doesn't seem to be a certificate that enc...
Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:05 pm
Topic: Shanghai: Which District is better

Shanghai: Which District is better

Shanghai: Which is the best after school life to be in for singles, for couples for famillies? Which district is the best one to live in? For example, Puxi, Pudong, or others and why do you think so?
Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:19 pm
Topic: Recruiting agencies...Which is best?

Recruiting agencies...Which is best?

I thought I would start some discussions on ISR. Seems a bit dormant at times.

Which recruiting agencies do you prefer: Schrole, ISS, SA, TIE online, TeacherHorizons etc.
Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 am
Topic: Which City in China Best to Live

Which City in China Best to Live

If you had the choice to live in Nanjing, Beijing or Shanghai, where would you live and why or why not?
What is a good housing allowance for a single in each city?
As always, thanks in advance :)
Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:53 am
Topic: UAE-What's a good package?

UAE-What's a good package?

There are so many schools in UAE. So many jobs. How to decide what is a good package. What is a good salary (annual 12 month salary $US). Let's assume comfortable housing, medical, annual travel home is also included. What are the potential savings given travel and reasonable living for a single? As...
Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 am
Topic: Cameroon and Ethiopa

Re: Cameroon and Ethiopa

Take a look at the UK travel advisory for Ethiopia before you venture out of the capital city.
Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:28 am
Topic: Salary Ranges?

Re: Salary Ranges?

Thames Pirate wrote: > We make far more here than in our HOR. Where are people working that pays > so little (or where are the HOR schools that pay so well)? Canada pays well, has good pension plans and benefits; strong unions. In America, wages go from dismal to good depending on the State. UK is l...
Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:03 pm
Topic: How safe is Egypt at the moment?

Re: How safe is Egypt at the moment?

Hi Joe, can you tell me a bit more about your experience in Egypt? Sounds like you didn't think there is much for expats to do there? Thanks for your comments.
Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:39 pm
Topic: How safe is Egypt at the moment?

Re: How safe is Egypt at the moment?

Thank you PsyGuy. I am just playing devil's advocate and discussing the issue. It is not personal to my situation. I'm on a different continent. Hope you have a lovely holiday.
Take care,