Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:48 am
Topic: Social isolation interationally

Re: Social isolation interationally

Book clubs are also another good way to socialise with people, either fun, light books and/or work related professional reading. I also think you shouldn't count out the married people- I often socialise without my spouse at lunches, brunches etc and he goes off and plays golf without me- you might ...
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:41 pm
Topic: Downsides of IT

Re: Downsides of IT

An upside for us has been that my kids have an open mind and experiences when it comes to the world and its people. They have friends all over. Another thing is having home help in some places. Very handy if you have a young family and it can make a difference in your life and your helper's.
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Re: How much easier to get hired as local hire at decent sch

I would like to state that in my own personal experience in Singapore that top tier elite schools ARE tightening their belts as to what they offer people. I know that some schools may not mind if one half of a couple is ex-pat hire at their school and their partner is also ex-pat hire at another sch...
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: How much easier to get hired as local hire at decent sch

Just wanted to add that even top tier schools in Singapore are now really tightening their belts and if his partner is on an overseas package it is likely he would only get a local contract and his benefits etc would be included in her package as a spouse.
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Re: How much easier to get hired as local hire at decent sch

I think if he has time to apply from outside Singapore he should go for overseas hire positions first. It is very expensive and an overseas hire package is helpful. I agree that if he has no luck then turn up and apply for local positions, perhaps do some sub work at a school in the hope that this w...
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:03 pm
Topic: Bangkok vs. Shanghai with a family

Re: Bangkok vs. Shanghai with a family

I have no idea about living in Bangkok but lived in Shanghai for four years. I loved our apartment heating, it had under floor heating in the lounge and dining room and this heated up the whole apartment so we didn't need any heat in the bedrooms upstairs as the heat rose. It was lovely and cosy. Ye...
Fri May 05, 2017 9:04 pm
Topic: Xujing DIstrict in Shanghai

Re: Xujing District in Shanghai

If you stay there for the first year to get your bearings you will be fine. It is close to school and convenient when you're settling in. If you feel like moving closer to town in your second year that is an option. When we lived there a few years ago we used to do lots of socialising with other mem...
Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:18 pm
Topic: Ship it or just bring it in extra suitcases?

Re: Ship it or just bring it in extra suitcases?

Take shoes too as Western sizes can be tricky to find. We found cereal was very expensive there so if you can pack some of your favourite boxes for breakfasts do so. Ikea has most household things you will need.
Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 am
Topic: Teaching Couple

Re: Teaching Couple

I would have to respectfully disagree with Sid about spending hours writing personal cover letters. I would agree that you need to do your research and make your cover letter applicable to the school and the role you are applying for, the more personable the better. However, when you are working ful...
Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:01 pm
Topic: Chinese food quality/safety

Re: Chinese food quality/safety

We lived in Shanghai for four years until two years ago. I was always worried about the food safety and pollution. We managed to eat well by only ever buying and using imported goods-- but be aware that you pay high prices for this luxury. I would say that we spent as much on our food budget as we d...
Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:01 am
Topic: Questions for Art teachers

Re: Questions for Art teachers

Hi Thomas, I'm an elementary teacher and have taught overseas in three art depts for 7 years. I don't have a masters and I am not an examiner. With your experience at both primary and secondary you could apply for positions anywhere in the school. What is your preference? If your recent experience i...
Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:46 am
Topic: Questions for Art teachers

Re: Questions for Art teachers

Hi there Thomas, I'm not sure how to give you my email and still remain anonymous- feel free to ask me anything on here, I'll answer as truthfully and openly as I can :)
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 pm
Topic: School Applications and Frustration

Re: School Applications and Frustration

I agree. They are a pain. I actually give a school a wide berth if their application process is too onerous!
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:50 pm
Topic: IB School Interviews (w/o IB experience)

Re: IB School Interviews (w/o IB experience)

If you do some reading about the IB and the PYP in particular in preparation for the interview I am sure you will show you're interested. If you get a handle on the philosophy of the framework and be able to give examples of how you would be able to/may already be doing/ implement the philosophy int...