Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:21 am
Topic: Moving from China to Europe - advice???

Re: Moving from China to Europe - advice???

While I agree it's possible to save money in Europe, I think many of you are severely understating the ability to budget as a major factor. I don't think budgeting is a skill that most international teachers possess. In the most 3rd tier of schools in China you don't really need to know how to budge...
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:47 pm
Topic: ISS, Search or both? Bangkok 2020

Re: ISS, Search or both? Bangkok 2020

I'll just add my two cents on the issue. I think that Search definitely has a higher ceiling when it comes to school tiers, but it also has a lower floor. With ISS-Schrole I've got a bit more of a guarantee that I won't end up at a school that's a mess. I'm pretty new in my career (5 years) so I don...
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:13 am
Topic: Tech Free

Re: Tech Free

None. This tech free movement isn't gaining enough traction for it to become a big influence.

Kids as young as 6 are already being exposed to coding concepts. Coding during primary age is more likely to become mainstream (if it isn't already).
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:55 am
Topic: Would you make this move?

Re: Would you make this move?

Anywhere outside of China or India, there is no reason to be concerned about Air Quality. Don't think of that as a reason to not go to Thailand.
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:16 am

Re: Tips for Leadership

wrldtrvlr123 wrote: > Recognize that you are losing it and becoming the thing you (or at least > most of us) hate if you find yourself doing or saying any of the following: > > -Calling a teacher in and asking them if they are "happy", and/or > telling them they are being too negative, without offer...
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:15 am

Re: Tips for Leadership

sid wrote: > I disagree about waiting and seeing. Sometimes yes, but other times there > are things going on that are plain and simple bad for kids and need to > change. I will not wait on those. Nor am I here to do things for teachers. > I’m here to do things for kids. I want teachers to be happy a...
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 pm

expatscot wrote:

> Don't go in with all the initiatives you ran in your last school so successfully.

This is probably the biggest make that even well-intentioned good admin do.
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:14 am
Topic: Downsides of IT
Views: 11911

Re: Downsides of IT

fine dude wrote: > Difficulty with making true friends / dull social life > > Lack of access to clean air and water > > No pension (excluding W. Europe) > > High summer travel costs to home base and return I would agree with all but the last one. Don't all schools cover this? There's no reason to no...
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:49 am
Topic: Visa fraud

Re: Visa fraud

I have colleagues with this kind of experience. It doesn't end well if you wait till they kick you out. Leave, figure something out until another teaching job comes along. Being kicked out of a country (regardless of whether it's your fault) can hinder your ability to get work visas in other countri...
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:11 am
Topic: Identifying Good Teachers Bad Teachers

Re: Identifying Good Teachers Bad Teachers

I don't know if this immediately needs to be seen as a bad thing. Bad teachers should be called out and reprimanded. I feel like at my school it doesn't happen enough and the consequence is that bad teachers can keep on being bad teachers as long as they're admin cheerleaders.
Mon May 14, 2018 8:39 pm
Topic: Hong Kong
Views: 2071

Hong Kong

I'm debating considering Hong Kong as a destination to work and live in after my next post. However, I just want to get more information from someone who has actually worked and lived in Hong Kong. I've only been there on vacation. Here are the current generalizations I have about Hong Kong: Pros: P...
Sun May 06, 2018 9:33 pm
Topic: Negativity in the workplace

Re: Negativity in the workplace

I agree with Psy Guy in that looking for a job isn't harmful this late. I got an offer from a fairly high tier school late in the hiring season (May-is). However, by that point I had signed a contract with a much lower tier of school. I also know of someone else who got an offer fairly late in the h...
Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 pm
Topic: Transferring money Europe to US

Re: Transferring money Europe to US

Have you looked into Revolut? It's a fairly new service but it seems that it does a good job of making money transfers super easy (especially if it's EUR to USD) and at better rates.
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:15 pm
Topic: Skills and Responsibilities of a teacher?

Re: Skills and Responsibilities of a teacher?

When I haven't gotten the job I took the time to email HR and ask why. Needless to say most don't get back to me but some have taken the time to do it. Based on that experience... I would agree with Psyguy and Thames Pirate. The main things to put in are the course you teach and maybe a line that de...
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:21 am
Topic: United World College - Transferring between UWC schools

United World College - Transferring between UWC schools

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I'm debating whether I should explore UWC as an option. They are obviously great schools, but some are in less desirable locations. I already work in a less desirable location so I would be okay with continuing this with UWC if it meant going to a ...