Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:09 pm
Topic: List of closed schools

Re: List of closed schools

My school in Karachi is doing the same as Mike's. Moved to distance learning a month ago and teachers were allowed to go back home for the rest of the school year/summer break. It has been working relatively well so far.
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:11 pm
Topic: China closed

Re: China closed

Wow. I suspect we're about to see a LOT of schools closing in the next year.

Article for anyone who is interested: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/china-cov ... -1.5508920
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:22 pm
Topic: Can I force Majeure?

Re: Can I force Majeure?

Force Majeure ultimately means that your contract is essentially null and void and can be declared by the school due to unforeseen circumstances (like COVID-19). You can choose to stay or leave and the school can choose to keep you or let you go. As for the terms, it depends on your contract. Force ...
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:04 am
Topic: Schools refusing to close due in COVID-2019 pandemic

Re: Schools refusing to close due in COVID-2019 pandemic

Money. My school is paying all of our teachers their full salary and we are doing online learning from home, but a lot of schools don't have the budget for it.
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:49 am
Topic: schools or countries with no upper age limit?

Re: Inquiry

PsyGuy wrote: > @marieh > > Is that because there is no upper age limit or because once youre 'in' the > age limit no longer applys? Used to be the former, but I suspect it has transitioned to the latter in recent years. I know several people who were hired at or right above 60. I think if you were ...
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:25 pm
Topic: In 50s ready to relocate: comparing pension options

Re: In 50s ready to relocate: comparing pension options

If you go into admin just for the money, you're going to have a bad time. Buy Andrew Hallam's book this week and start thinking about how you can invest your income. I think you're suffering from a "grass is greener" mentality when in fact it might be easiest for you to stay where you are (and perha...
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:54 am
Topic: schools or countries with no upper age limit?

Re: schools or countries with no upper age limit?

https://www.internationalschoolsreview. ... rticle.htm

Pakistan isn't on the list, but as far as I know, there is no age limit for visas there. I worked with people in their mid-70s.
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:54 am
Topic: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potential
Views: 20688

Re: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potenti

Both of the good international schools in Pakistan (Islamabad and Karachi) will allow you to save 80% of your salary if you are frugal. The cost of living is extremely inexpensive and housing/taxes are covered by the schools.
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:55 pm
Topic: Schools that pay for flights up front?
Views: 1943

Re: Schools that pay for flights up front?

My school booked us a flight for our preferred dates and airline. No money changed hands. It would definitely be a red flag for me if a school wanted me to shell out $2000+ of my own money before even arriving.
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:59 am
Topic: Has anyone suspected that a boss or colleague lied about cre
Views: 19713

Re: Has anyone suspected that a boss or colleague lied about

I apologize for interrupting this lovely conversation, but I just want to point out that PsyGuy is 99% of why I no longer frequent this forum. It's tiring to see the same long-winded opinions spouted as fact time and time again. Hopefully everyone else on here does their due diligence and fact check...
Sun May 26, 2019 6:47 am
Topic: Getting a real job at a real school without experience

Re: Getting a real job at a real school without experience

We have an Econ/Math cross at our school as well. The two subjects are just as complementary as physics/math, in my opinion.
Wed May 08, 2019 7:23 am

Re: Applying as an admin/teacher couple: How competitive are

Heliotrope wrote: > Illiane_Blues wrote: > > not working at the same school might even also be a good > > thing. > > I've seen two or three teacher couples at my past schools who definitely would've > been better off working at separate schools. But then again, I've seen it work plenty > of times as...
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Applying as an admin/teacher couple: How competitive are

>>but your list is really short and there is a very high probability they just wont be hiring. I should have worded that part of my OP a bit better. That list was not meant to be exhaustive, but was a representation of the types of schools we eventually aspire to - Elite Tier/Tier 1 in Europe or oth...
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:10 am

Re: Applying as an admin/teacher couple: How competitive are

Thank you for your reply, Sid. I appreciate the realistic perspective and agree that we'd have a lot of competition in those upper tier schools. We are certainly open to lower tier schools in other countries and will definitely pursue any leads we get. I suppose there's always the hope, however, tha...
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:19 am
Topic: Applying as an admin/teacher couple: How competitive are we?

Applying as an admin/teacher couple: How competitive are we?

Hi everyone. My husband and I are considering moving on to a new school after our current contract ends in Spring 2020. While we know we are hireable in general, we are curious as to how feasible it would be to find positions at a Tier 1 school at this point in our careers. I would be looking for a ...