Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:52 am
Topic: Job Cuts
Views: 2084

Re: Job Cuts

"Think about it from the parent perspective: why would I pay for a pricey private/international school for a year if I can just go to the local public option online for a year before things are sorted out?: Because the local public version is still inferior to the private version? And also, the priv...
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:45 am
Topic: Getting flights home this summer for departing teachers?

Re: Getting flights home this summer for departing teachers?

Yes, I think many of us are feeling like this. We have already talked to our landlord about staying on an extra month and then flying directly to our new school. We usually go home in the summer, but that might not be possible. We usually transit through China, Hong Kong or Seoul, but that seems lik...
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:50 pm
Topic: Schools refusing to close due in COVID-2019 pandemic

Re: Schools refusing to close due in COVID-2019 pandemic

As long as the parents keep paying, the schools can keep paying teacher salary. I can also think of plenty of cost savings in having an empty school. Besides, if the kids leave, where are they going to go? It's not like they can move to another school. And lastly, I would think staying open when eve...
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 pm
Topic: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

Re: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

mysharona wrote: > We have some moms that are doing really well in 4th grade. LOL. There is only so much you can do. We are not yet closed, but most of us feel closure is looming larger by the day. I can conference call, make videos, set edPuzzle, Quizlet, and various other assignments, but at the e...
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:19 pm
Topic: Situation in China

Re: Situation in China

We're in Thailand. When we went home for the weekend yesterday it felt like the last day of term. I'm not saying school will be cancelled on Monday, but cancellation does feel like it's coming. I'm feeling the authorities might tie it up with Songkran holidays to minimize the impact. I'm busy master...
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:18 am
Topic: China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

China People - What Does Online Learning Look Like for You Right Now?

Interested to know what teachers are actually doing. Are you teaching regular hours, posting assignments in the morning, conference calls, FlipGrid, etc? How are you keeping your class going? What is the expectation?

Thanks in advance.
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:51 am

Re: transferring US/QTS to Canada

I've just had three transcripts sent between provinces and one from the UK sent to the same place. Total cost including mailing - CAD$45.
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:04 am
Topic: I wish I had known....

Re: I wish I had known....

That it would take us a few years to get into a school that we really want to be in. We started internationally with o lyric subbing experience.
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:04 am

Re: transferring US/QTS to Canada

On call I would think. Never heard of a full time sub in BC.
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:34 am

Re: transferring US/QTS to Canada

I live in Southeast Asia. I did my B.Ed. in Vancouver knowing full well I wasnt going to get a job somewhere I actually wanted to live. Our plan was to move overseas from the start. We left the year after my wife got her B.Ed. That was a few years ago now.
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:44 am

Re: transferring US/QTS to Canada

I also know if it was a horse no one would bet on it.
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:42 am
Topic: Bangkok & London 2020

Re: Bangkok & London 2020

What is the new paperless system? The folder dropping system was in full swing in Bangkok.