Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Re: Compensation

What about the rumours about Exec leadership making 400K+ in SE Asia? This number sounds higher than corporate CEOs in mid-cap firms.
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:31 am

Re: Compensation

Thank you, sid. Makes a lot of sense. Can't access 'HeadsNet.' Could you give me the full URL, please?
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:27 am

Compensation

There is always a comparison between faculty and senior leadership salaries and this is one of the key factors causing friction between the two groups. What do you all think is a reasonable difference (x3 or x4) between the salaries of a principal or head of school and teachers should be if we're lo...
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 am
Topic: COVID, 21/22 Job Season & You?

Re: COVID, 21/22 Job Season & You?

Being part of the hiring committee, I can say we're cutting down on our recruitment for the next school year. Most of our teachers are staying put and I think it's a sane decision. For teachers who have no choice, I'd say look at the track record of your prospective employer, read the latest reviews...
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:58 am
Topic: 2021/2022 Advice

Re: 2021/2022 Advice

Tier 2/3 schools in China and Middle East will be your best bet. 21-22 will be a tough year as you will be competing with experienced and laid off folks who are eagerly waiting to grab all the good or fairly decent jobs. Make sure your cover letter is customised and rock-solid. Good luck.
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:11 am
Topic: Leadership Inquiry

Leadership Inquiry

Are there any middle level managers who are also part teachers who made the transition to senior leadership recently? What are two or three major life lessons you learned? What are your regrets?
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:48 pm
Topic: Inclusivity

Re: Inclusivity

The number of schools that take diversity, equity and inclusivity seriously are far fewer than those which do not. You need a local and global ombudsman, just like they do with environmental issues, to enforce these ideals.
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:37 am
Topic: Dataset for average international school salaries

Re: Dataset for average international school salaries

I would simply pick 3-5 countries where I want to work long-term and create a spreadsheet of pros and cons, including salary, benefits, saving potential at the top 3-5 schools. Let's say if I do that with Thailand, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, and Japan, I'm not going to see much variation at the...
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:49 am
Topic: Year off?

Re: Year off?

Friends from Bangkok and Singapore are in a similar boat. Moved back home to N. America and are currently looking for part-time/full-time jobs. Nobody knows what 2021-22 school year will look like. If you have solid savings, could be a good time to up-skill.
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:21 am
Topic: Beginning Of The End for China Foreign Teachers?

Re: Beginning Of The End for China Foreign Teachers?

We need to see these actions in the larger context, where Mr. Xi is flexing his muscle to maintain an iron grip over CCP and showing who the boss is. Will it be short-term? Maybe if they could find a scalable local vaccine and get a favourable trade deal from a new administration in the US. For a fa...
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:08 am
Topic: and it continues

Re: and it continues

Before this post loses direction, just want to say everyone here has different priorities. Some go to China to break into admin/an AP/IB school or save big for retirement or even for finding a spouse/cultural reasons. China is now the new Middle East from a financial perspective. There is another gr...
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:45 am
Topic: and it continues

Re: and it continues

Another reason why I'll never set foot on this CCP turf. Who wants to end up in a labor camp?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ary-arrest