Totally unfairly "non-renewed" HELP!

ozman

Totally unfairly "non-renewed" HELP!

Post by ozman »

Hello all,

Well, I suppose I've now been baptised into the world of international teachers as I have been completely blindsided and deceived by admin and have been informed that I will not get another contract.

This is despite two glowing performance appraisals over the two years at the school. In the end, although I was praised for having a high level of competence and skill in the job, they pointed out a fuzzily-defined personality trait of mine as being the reason for non-renewal.

My question is: what do I say to prospective employers when they asked my reasons for "resigning" (as I was given the option to do) after the initial contract?

Also, should I make a case to Search over this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ozman 8)
specialed

Post by specialed »

Okay, I'll bite. What was this fuzzy personality trait? I noticed you mentioned skill and competence. You seem to have left off working with people and your attitude. Could this have been "the fuzzy personality trait"?

Look at the reason you were not renewed and use that to improve yourself at your next job. Learn from the experience so that you don't repeat the same issues over and over. Hope this helps.
ozman

Post by ozman »

Attitude is good. Working with people a weakness, but this is a matter of perception, one that was really not conveyed to me when it may have helped. They said that I had improved in this area... but that's beside the point right now. I don't really need any more criticism to "help" me improve in the future... I need immediate advice.

Can anyone help me with the questions I posed?
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Say you are wishing to gain experience by working in a different country and school.

You could also mention you are hoping for further responsibilities etc. in a new post.
PsyGuy

OK

Post by PsyGuy »

I'll save you the criticism. Just tell them one of the following:

1) You learned all you could and are looking for new challenges.

2) You want a change of experiences/regions.

3) Professional Growth and Development Opportunities.

I wouldnt make a case to Search over it: First, the reason for your departure is going to be seen by them as a "poor fit" between admins and yourself. There isnt anything concrete that you can say the school did wrong, like sexual harassment, not paying you, etc. Those are really only the things Search would be interested in. Second, Search doesnt work for you, they work for the schools, thats were they get their money from. You pay them $200 every couple years (three) a school pays about $2,500 per teacher. For a school with say 10 vacancies a year that $25K a YEAR they pay Search. Respectfully, the school is worth more to them then you are.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: OK

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

The bottom line is that perception IS reality. From your point of view, the problem was the other . (or at least a shared problem). The school's perception is that you were the problem, and as far as Search and most other schools will be concerned, that will be the reality if it all comes out.

You should be able to find a school that will accept your version of your reasons for leaving. Making a stink now will not help your cause. Wait. Get another job and then name and shame the school/admin on ISR if feel it necessary.
ozman

Re: OK

Post by ozman »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I'll save you the criticism. Just tell them one of the following:

1) You learned all you could and are looking for new challenges.

2) You want a change of experiences/regions.

3) Professional Growth and Development Opportunities.

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, but these would all be untrue; and I am really bad at, and don't like, lying.

1. Was a coordinator with a pending authorisation visit coming, that was challenging enough.

2. More than happy where I am now.

3. Heaps of PD where I was and see number (1).

There's got to be some way of saying: "well, I got blindsided by some people whose only experience is limited to primary school admin in a small state of USA who really weren't used to my (demonstrably successful) approach" without raising alarm bells.
PsyGuy

Geez

Post by PsyGuy »

I cant make this sound what it isnt. Im sorry i really am but there isnt a way of saying that, that doesnt make it look like it was a problem with you. I read that statement as an admin and think: Your not a team player, your not flexible, and you have an ego/entitlement problem. No matter what "their" problem was, they solved it (by getting rid of you), and they have a job next year (you dont).

I dont want to tell you how my reasons/causes could be true (I imagine you wont be too happy where your at when your unemployed) but you need to get comfortable with lying or "strategically de-emphasizing the causes of your departure". Blaming bad mouthing your past school/admins isnt going to help you find another job, sorry.
ozman

Post by ozman »

I definitely won't be badmouthing them (I'll more than likely save that for ISR after my departure); I was thinking of something like "difference in philosophies" or something like that.
PsyGuy

Sure...

Post by PsyGuy »

That works, just be prepared for the inevitable follow up questions (and understand that to an admin their philosophy is right, and yours is wrong). Your not the first teacher to disagree with administration over how things should be done in a classroom.

In reality principals and heads arent looking for brilliant smart people, this is K-12 education its not rocket science. What they are looking for is people that are team players, who will do what they say, agree with what their asked, and are low maintenance.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Ozman,

Unfortunately you are caught in an awkward, lose-lose, situation. The reality is that we work in a very small world and it doesn't take much for someone to taint your well. In other words your good name is a fragile thing.

My family finds itself in somewhat of a similar boat with our principal and deputy superintendent. They won't fire us but we're not sure what they will say about us if contacted directly by another school. Thus, when we are asked that question "Why are you leaving?", we put the onus completely on us.

Revenge and redemption might be sweet but the cost could be astronomical.

Thats the end of my lesson on idioms.

Good luck with your job search and have a great start to 2012
ozman

Post by ozman »

[quote="ichiro"]Ozman,

And what is going to happen when they call your references and they say something along the lines of, "he's impossible to work with?"[/quote]

That won't happen as I've already received glowing LORs from them that pretty much say the opposite.

My previous employer will also speak highly of me.
PsyGuy

Maybe

Post by PsyGuy »

So two things then: 1) If you have glowing letters of references then move on. Seriously this is pride and ego here. 2) What they say on the phone, may be very different then what is written on your letters, and the schools isnt going to say "well your past school said they had difficulties with you" etc, they are just going to say "we've decided not to pursue your application further". I finished a job search not too long ago, and had more then a couple candidates who's references werent as great as their letters would have you believe. Basically we assume anything a candidate gives us and isnt confidential is hyped up. You should see some of the differences between letters from a teacher and the ones on Search.
ozman

Post by ozman »

Point (1) and point (2) seem to contradict one another Psyguy.

I have a great LOR from my principal and a confidential admin review from the head on Search (that I obviously don't know the contents of).

Should I approach them and ask what they will say on the phone?