Ecole Oasis in Cairo

Ecole Oasis in Cairo

Postby Lagniappe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 am

Has anyone ever heard about this school? It seems I saw a review of it somewhere, but I'm unable to track this down.

Info would be appreciated.
Lagniappe

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:48 pm

Postby leighton1904 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:28 pm

i would also like information about this school
leighton1904

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:48 am

also interested

Postby Open Communication » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:11 pm

That school has expressed interest in me as well. I am not impressed with the package as posted at Search Associates, nor the way the form has been completed.
Open Communication

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:53 am

Postby pips » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Hey Guys - I'm gonna jump in to your conversation for a second. I have interviewed twice with a school in Cairo (different than the one you're referring to) and was planning on accepting the job but the present political situation has me a little concerned. What are your thoughts on what's going on in Cairo this week?
pips

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Postby muffinsc » Wed May 02, 2012 1:38 am

Any word on this school?

Postby specialed » Wed May 02, 2012 3:14 am

I don't know very much about the school (I see their buses around town, but that's about all I know). Really Egypt is no more unsafe than any particular place in America. The political climate is up in the air, but that really doesn't have much to do with teachers.

There are lots of reasons to choose/not choose Egypt, but I am honestly not worried about the political climate - it's just politics and nothing more right now.
specialed

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:37 pm

Postby bigfatgit » Wed May 02, 2012 4:19 am

3rd tier language school located in Zahraa El Maadi (not the real Maadi where most ex-pats live)

I've never heard anything good about it

Horrible

Postby PsyGuy » Wed May 02, 2012 4:45 am

Horrible, horrible school. Third tier all the way. They actually make other third tier schools look good.

Postby muffinsc » Wed May 02, 2012 6:04 am

I'm not so worried about the political situation, but want to be in a decent working environment.

bigfatgit - I'm curious--why call it a language school? They offer the IB program from PYP to DP as well as the French national curriculum. The opportunity to gain IB experience is definitely a draw for me.

PsyGuy - Care to be more specific?

Scam

Postby PsyGuy » Wed May 02, 2012 6:56 am

There are TWO schools the IB french school (I assume you are fluent in french) is actually in Maadi (a very "nice" expat heavy suburb of Cairo, Cairo is actually pretty big, its like saying Beverly Hills and Compton are the same because they are both in Los Angles).
There is another "Oasis" school in Cairo that is a bilingual school which is somewhere between a language school and a general studies school. You teach subject classes, but its all just a medium (smoke and mirrors, front) for ESL classes.

Its all locally managed, family owned and ran, and definitely for profit. The school is under resourced, standards and curriculum, are nonexistent.

Postby muffinsc » Wed May 02, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for info about the IB French school. Are they both run by the same people?

Postby PsyGuy » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 am

No not even remotely, the bilingual school is just marketing on the Oasis name.

Re: No

Postby bigfatgit » Wed May 02, 2012 10:20 am

[quote="PsyGuy"]No not even remotely, the bilingual school is just marketing on the Oasis name.[/quote]

But appear to have the same director and telephone number!

Lots of schools out here try to cash in on the name of good schools by having a similar name and, therefore, the same initials.

Postby bigfatgit » Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 am

Oh, and it's not in Maadi. It's actually in Zahraa El Maadi which runs along one side of Wadi Degla. School is crammed in amongst lots of multifloor apartment blocks just up from the Wadi Degla Club (that makes parking almost impossible).

There is actually a serious warning from the US and UK embassies about the main road near the school due to the number of carjacking incidents there recently.

Maadi itself still contains many beautiful and large villas as well as very expensive apartments. You can tell if you are in Maadi / Maadi Sarayat / Degla by the rents charged as they are approx. 3 times those of Zahra El Maadi

Postby lightstays » Wed May 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Even if you are not concerned by the volatile political situation, a salary paid in LE should give you pause. The currency could go south at any moment. It's why I said no to a different school in Cairo.

I think this could be a very challenging year for Egyptian schools retaining their staff.
lightstays

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:07 pm
Location: Americas

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests