Burnt by ISS!!

CIS and SEARCH

Post by guest »

We have used both CIS London and Search (Harry Deelman) in the past, but now stick with CIS. Why? Because it's big, it's well organised, and it's FREE! Why anyone would pay for the same service elsewhere is beyond me. Unlike the US fairs, there is a real mix of candidates from all over the place, and you don't get so many schools which, while calling themselves "international" and espousing global and cultural sensitivity, only hire Americans!

The CIS fair is in an expensive hotel, but there are cheaper hotels right around the corner, just get on the internet and book.

Search was fine, but small and with a lot of dodgy schools. We only got one offer from that fair, whereas we had 5 job offers this year at CIS and turned down interviews with 5 others. Harry Deelman seems to be the best associate, but one bad word from one of his director mates will outweigh many other good references that you may have.

The one weakness with all of the agencies is that they will take on virtually any school - all kinds of dodgy places in the Middle East, Turkey etc. which are definitely NOT international schools at all, just money making organisations. There is a place for an organisation that only lists real international schools on its books (e.g. maximum percentage local kids, non-profit, decent curriculum, good benefits, track record of retaining teachers, not cancelling contracts etc.). If a school is reported to them for doing anything illegal/immoral, they should be struck off the list. But, one can only dream...

Anyway, my advice is to go with CIS. If you're in the states they have one on Vancouver now (combined with ISS - so the ISS candidates are paying to go the same fair that the CIS candidates are attedning for free!!!). If anywhere else, take a flight to London.

Why pay when you can get it for free?

Re: Anyone been blackballed by Search Assoc?

Post by Guest »

lubulu wrote:Wondering if anyone has been blackballed by Search Associates? So far I am disappointed in the service. I have researched schools, followed all guidelines in their contract, yet was not allowed to attend the fair where I had lots of interesting possibilities. I had to attend another fair where there were barely any positions!

My husband and I were also disappointed with Search. We were told to go one of their smaller fairs since we do not yet have international experience. (Actually, we could have gone to the big one but were told we had to go to the smaller one first. Couldn't afford to do both.) The vast majority of the schools attending were not even worth considering. Luckily, we obtained positions before the fair through other means, but were still out the fair registration fee, airfare, and then still had to pay Search their fee! For two of us, this was a very expensive experience that we got nothing out of. Live and learn--we'll try something else next time around.
arabia finesse

Re: Beware of ISS and Jane Larsson

Post by arabia finesse »

[
You are on your own out there. I learned the hard way!![/quote]
Dear guest, thanks for sharing. It is a mirror immage of my experience with ISS, and hitting the nail on the head !
Arabia finesse

To Frank

Post by Arabia finesse »

Frank, I wish you were more frank and mentioned this place ,or gave its Longitude and Latitude.

iss/search

Post by guest »

I was blackballed by ISS around 4 years ago, when I showed up for a conference in my home town with a friend and talked to a recruiter. Obviously this was all about money. I had not registered for the conference (I did not attend events either). I have since joined Search. I had a good experience when I went to the Search fair this year in Cambridge. It was happening before the ISS fair. I had the feeling that this might have increased the number of schools attending Search. I also met someone at Search, who although did not meet Search requirements (teaching certification or overseas experience) was allowed to attend the fair because she proved herself through doing her homework (emailing recruiters early and receiving interested replies). I appreciate Search for be flexible and letting her have a chance. She landed a fantastic job at Search, and so did I. My recruiter also took the time to check in with me several times during the fair, this NEVER happened when I was with ISS.

cheers
old hand

recruitment

Post by old hand »

I've had the pleasure of teaching overseas for 25 years. I worked exclusively with ISS for 12 years until a miserable and incompetent director was my boss. I told him as much and was forced to resign. Jane Larsson refused to allow me to attend another fair citing that ISS could no longer support my candidacy. That was 14 years ago, and nothing has changed. My opinion of Jane Larsson is that she is one bonafide -------!

Search Associates and Queen's University have about the best fairs I have been attended.

International school teachers have no union and no recourse. It sucks, but there you go.
mnolan

ISS organize

Post by mnolan »

ISS didn't even notify us we were blackballed until our lawyer contacted them. It appears they think the market is so large that they can do anything to teachers.

A union or organization would be great for teachers, wouldn't it be nice to show up at a recruitment fair and see a table with our teaching representative present to assist us with contracts and ISS?

How about pestering the NEA or your respective legislature, New Jersey does have an attorney general perhaps if enough complaints are recorded the business practices of ISS will be investigated.

Jane Larsen is a but a symptom of an industry that needs some regulating.

Cheers.
dave

Law and ISS

Post by dave »

Jane Larson is no longer with ISS not sure why? Maybe ISS could no longer support her candidacy. Tom mnolan- what happened when your Lawyer contacted ISS?
International Educator

Teacher's Union

Post by International Educator »

Funny,
I had a conversation with reps from The Office of Overseas Schools and the United Feration of Teachers a few years back about starting and international teachers union and they were very supportive. Both told me that when I am ready to give them a call. At that time I didn't feel as if I had enough experience to get started but perhaps with some encouragement and help it can get off the ground. I am certainly willing to start the ball rolling.
How 'bout it??!!
mnolan1

Re: Teacher's Union

Post by mnolan1 »

International Educator wrote:Funny,
I had a conversation with reps from The Office of Overseas Schools and the United Feration of Teachers a few years back about starting and international teachers union and they were very supportive. Both told me that when I am ready to give them a call. At that time I didn't feel as if I had enough experience to get started but perhaps with some encouragement and help it can get off the ground. I am certainly willing to start the ball rolling.
How 'bout it??!!
Where can we assist you? My wife and I are very interested in this possibility.
Let us know how we can help. We are stateside for the present and wouldbe willing to work from here.
International Educator

International Union

Post by International Educator »

I was in the middle of drafting a letter to Dr. Miller at the State Department when I decided to check the forum. I got a real surge of confidence when I read your reply. I am also State side for the next few months.
Knowledge is power so I would like to start by doing some research on the 5 w's of unions. Also, reaching out to the current teachers will be a must.

e-mail me at

Internationaleducator@earthlink.net
globaljuju

crazy directors

Post by globaljuju »

I realize that we all live and work without protection. A crazy parent or director can potentially ruin our career. What I don't understand is why no one NAMES these people. It sounds like most of you who have had problems with directors are not even working for that person anymore. Even if you had to create an anonymous I.D., shouldn't we be sharing our experiences here, and preventing other teachers from falling into the same traps? I realize that we have the school and director reviews, but there is a lot of story sharing going on here in the forums, and I would love to know who and where the culprits are! Isn't that what this site is about?
mnolan

Jane Larson

Post by mnolan »

It has been too long and I must ask. Has Jane Larson actually left the folds of ISS? If so was it to mitigate the potential liability ISS faces from the many burned, blackballed and otherwise illtreated job seekers?

The way International Education goes I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Ms. Larson received some "Plum" job to reward her past activities.

Thank you ISR for giving teachers a voice. the void is beginning to be filled and any criticisms appear to be from administrators and their supporters trying to dodge responsibilty for their actions.

We as educators are professionals and it is time that the associations which feed off of us begin to take responsibility for their actions / inaction as well as to represent our interests and not just those of the international schools and admnistrators. The time for veiled threats from recruitment agencies must end.
Read the fine print

reply to globaljuju

Post by Read the fine print »

You have a good idea exposing the cluprits in the forum but the introduction to the forum - where you clicked " I agree" -- pretty much states that review type comments are not really acceptable on the forum. I think that is why you don't find those kind of comments here. I have found the reviews very helpful. I think you can ask your question and get your answer by asking "between the lines" so teo speak.
is this Jane Larsson ?

is this the "famous" Jane Larsson ?

Post by is this Jane Larsson ? »

If you google the words "jane larson,iss" you will find this :

Visiting Inernational Program
Miss Jane Larson
Director
Chapel Hill, NC

and the website :

http://www.vifprogram.com/

I wonder if it is the same person who was at ISS !!???
:o :o :o

mnolan wrote:ISS didn't even notify us we were blackballed until our lawyer contacted them. It appears they think the market is so large that they can do anything to teachers.

A union or organization would be great for teachers, wouldn't it be nice to show up at a recruitment fair and see a table with our teaching representative present to assist us with contracts and ISS?

How about pestering the NEA or your respective legislature, New Jersey does have an attorney general perhaps if enough complaints are recorded the business practices of ISS will be investigated.

Jane Larsen is a but a symptom of an industry that needs some regulating.

Cheers.