Best teacher placement agency/job fair

specialed

Best teacher placement agency/job fair

Post by specialed »

There seem to be a lot of people on this forum with vastly different experiences. What do you think is the best teacher placement agency or job fair? I have heard some good and bad about a few, but am curious about what people think is the best. Personally I like Tieonline.com but it does have drawbacks. I also like the UNI fair because it has a good cross section of schools. Sending out loads of resumes, references, transcripts isn't easy overseas so going at it alone seems kinda rough. What do you all think?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I have only gotten jobs through fairs so I can't speak to other methods. Personally I like the UNI fair, same result with less effort and fewer costs. You couldn't beat their $5 registration packet. They moved the fair ahead between my first and second fair but now even that earlier starting date can't compete with the ISS or Search Bangkok fair.
JISAlum

Somewhat like the current primaries in the US

Post by JISAlum »

I think its kind of getting like the current election primaries in the US; states are moving theirs up earlier to make them count.

Those early Search and ISS job fairs tempt teachers that worry about jobs being filled before UNI and other, later fairs. I'm in that boat for next year. I guess if you had the funds, you could go to an early fair, then hit a late one if you're not happy.

I'm trying to target schools and figure out which fair they'll be at. This year the jobs I'd want were at Bangkok and Cambridge. UNI was a little barren from what I can tell (in my job area- not in general).

And that's not considering the type/location of schools that attend each fair. I think on one of the larger SE Asian schools was at UNI- JIS. Maybe that is inaccurate but if one was looking to go to SE Asia and only a few schools were there- maybe not a good choice?

The dynamic of the job fairs is changing..
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

From my experience and discussions with others, the trend used to be that schools could afford to be more 'picky' at early fairs and only the 'perfect fit' applicants were offered positions. At one job fair, although I had 3 interviews with a Director and it all looked really good he said he couldn't offer me a position because he had 5 other fairs he had to attend????? About 7 weeks later I received a mail from him asking if I was still interested in the position I'd interviewed for.

The closer to June it gets the less 'picky' schools seem to become. They have positions to fill and there are fewer and fewer applicants still looking. The downside to this is that the 'best' schools/positions get filled earlier rather than later.

I understand that over the last two years the situation has started to change and that schools are finding it harder to find the applicants they're looking for.

Schools that have difficulty recruiting are less picky and are more inclinded to offer positions at the early job fairs or to early applicants.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GHK

early fairs

Post by GHK »

One thing you have to keep in mind is that many schools require their staff to make their final commitment in January. That means that there are loads of jobs that become available after the early fairs and as was mentioned many schools are quite happy to wait for the biggies unless there's a really outstanding candidate. I think the best fairs are the February ones and then it's a matter of checking which school you are most interested in and which fair they will attend.
E.B. White

which fair...

Post by E.B. White »

My spouse and I have been to both the UNI fair and to ISS. Hands down I recommend ISS - and I am a graduate of UNI. UNI is like having your mother in charge of a recruiting fair - a very good mother who knows what she is doing, but stilll...plus, and I know it ultimately doesn't matter that much, but I'm sorry, if I had a chance to go to a fair in New York or Waterloo, Iowa..ahem!

ISS is very professional, very helpful, very organized - no complaints. UNI is nice people. I don't want nice, I want a job.

Very good comment above about when to go - I agree. We leave Saturday for ISS; going there to obtain my fourth international position (my spouse's second); and while the wait has made us nervous, many of our schools are hanging in there for us, and we already have five schools waiting to interview us when we get there. UNI would be good for a young teacher, a first-timer, or someone who doesn't mind a small midwestern city with nowhere to eat and a big, stinking jacuzzi tub in the corner of their hotel room.
worldtravel

Post by worldtravel »

Hey E.B.- Good advice.

We too will be attending ISS next weekend. Where are you looking to go next year?

When you say you have 5 schools waiting does that mean you have interviews already scheduled?

Just curious (and trying to gauge our chances!!!)
guest5

Post by guest5 »

I know of several schools that have moved their dates up for current staff to commit...to December before leaving for winter break.
E.B. White

fair news, etc.

Post by E.B. White »

One firm appointment, four commitments to talk. We are fairly open to Africa, Asia and Europe. The jobs are there - don't worry.

Also, re a comment above - December commitment is nothing. We had to commit in October. That makes the wait even harder.
worldtravel

Post by worldtravel »

Thanks for the reassurance. This is our first time. We are looking at South America (though it looks like those jobs are filling up!) Asia and Europe.

What do you recommend as a plan of action once we arrive?
E.B. White

once you arrive...

Post by E.B. White »

Here are some things to remember, in no particular order...
1. Register early and check your mail often but don't be neurotic about it or you''ll just give yourself a stroke
2. Be visible - be physically present, write notes, send e-mails, don't make calls unless asked to, but be open to receive them
3. Be positive - everywhere - your future boss might be on the plane with you when you fly in, or she might be the person in front of you at the deli getting a paper and a cup of coffee when you go out early in the morning in yesterday's clothes and a baseball cap to hide your hair
4. Have a plan - know what you want and where you think you will find it - BUT BE OPEN TO A PLACE YOU NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT BEFORE
5. Be organized
6. Leave with your integrity and a job, too

South America tends to hire sooner - there is a bit of a rush down here for some reason - but there are jobs to be had. And there will be plenty of other opportunities. Good luck!
worldtravel

Post by worldtravel »

E.B.--

Thank you so much for all this advice.

I hope you get the job you want!
seacat

Post by seacat »

E.B.,
Thanks for great advice you have given. How long have you been in S.A.? Have you all been able to save money?

Thanks.
E.B. White

Post by E.B. White »

This is the end of our third year in South America. As for savings, singles can definitely save, marrieds with no children probably can do well, marrieds with children - it will be tough, but possible. Good luck to all of you, and thanks. Enjoy your time in New York - get out a bit and have some fun, too - I lived there for about six years and it's really an easy city to get around, very walkable...pick at least one place away from Grand Central to see - whether it's the Village, Broadway, the UN (very walkable - and check out Tudor City, or take a walk to the Turtle Bay area), the Lincoln Center area (the best Tower Records and Video...unbelievable store) - wherever...give yourself a break, too.