My Situation

Westeach

My Situation

Post by Westeach »

I currently am teaching at a Middle School in the US as an EC teacher(special education)... this is [b]my second year[/b] and am certified to teach Special Ed from k-12th grade and just added a certificate to teach middle school Language Arts, plan on getting my social studies certificate for Middle School as well in March. How viable am I as a candidate to be an International teacher? i would love to teach in Southeast Asia or possible China to start or the Middle East.. Any responses suggestions and advice are welcomed.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

jont, you likely won't get picked up by a great school at this point. Get your certifications in order and look to get on at a starter school in the Middle East or China. Don't expect great conditions, but go for the experience and roll with the punches, knowing that everything after that will definitely seem easier.

Why won't you likely get picked up by a great school? Only 2 years experience. No experience in the areas of Language Arts or Social Studies. Certification in Special Ed, which most small schools do not offer. Large schools are looking for those experienced people because the demands by the parents are going to be very great. International school parents at a good school can be very demanding - and with the fees charged, understandably so.

So check out the Middle East and South East Asia/China. You can also check out smaller schools in Europe.

Good luck!
Westeach

Post by Westeach »

At these starter schools, Is it possible to save at least 12,000 USD a year? Even here in America, I save 8000 a year. I dont have many vices at all.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

1) How do you feel about noodles and dumplings and street food? 2) Do you like staying at home during your vacations? 3) How do you feel about drinking semi-cold Tsing Dao beer at home or on the corner? 4) Do you prefer packed public buses to taxis?

If you answered, 1) Love that kind of food, 2) I hate traveling during my breaks, 3) I only drink cheap beer and never at bars and nightclubs, and 4) I love the close relationships I develop on packed buses, then YES YOU CAN save that kind of money at even the crappy third tier schools in China.

The issue is most IT living in China use their salary on things like eating foreign food with some regularity, travel, going out, and taking taxis. You can living a Chinese lifestyle the things can be very affordable and your savings can be great even if your pay is on the lower side. But you have to ask yourself if you'd really want to do that.

I like China, but I also like being able to do things with my money. If you were making USD36,000 a year take home (this assumes housing is taken care of and your flight), then you could save that much if you didn't spend excessive amounts on living a foreign lifestyle.
Westeach

Post by Westeach »

I actually eat an Asian diet currently... been to Asia before several times and prefer local food compared to Western food. All I need mainly is access to a gym, internet, a decent sized city, havent had a drink of alcohol in over 12 years, some window shopping areas and public park type stuff and Im good... Thats why I'm looking overseas as the money you quoted is more than my take home pay as a teacher in North Carolina where Masters Pay has been cut as of May 2014, there has been no pay increase for teachers in over four years and the new governor who agreed to a continual freeze on raises and disqualification of MA pay is only in his 2nd year of his 4 year term. I'm 46 years old and need to put some cash in the bank... I plan on travelling to Asia for my vacations from school If I ever get a good enough offer to save 12,000+ a year... Hoping that a school would give me a look after one more year of service in the US
Briz

Post by Briz »

Believe me you will definitely find a job! What job is another matter. Be very weary of what is offered, and do your homework on the school! Just because it is called tier 3 on this site does not mean anything when you are working there everyday! It might be great for you! You can make GREAT money at some small schools in China right now! The salary in the ME can be nice also. Join one of the search sites (TIE and joyjobs are cheap). Or buck up and go to a search fair. At the very least have no fear you will find something! Be patient it is November!!!
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Yeah, you should be able to find something. It may not be a well run school, but you could save that kind of money.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

If you are willing to be flexible, in terms of location and school, and have good references you should be able to get a position. In my experience, special ed. teachers do pretty well.

Saving $12,000 per year is possible because you will not be paying any US taxes. The actual amount will depend upon you lifestyle and how much you travel.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Also consider taking the long view. Sure, for two years you will save 12,000/yr, but then maybe you can go to a better paying school where you'll save 25-30+ per year. Then you'll marry another intl teacher, land a top job, go on fab vacations, live in a brand new spacious apartment, and save 100k/year.
Westeach

Post by Westeach »

Thanks for all of the replies.... I think that I'm going to start applying as soon as possible. Will look at areas discussed above and perhaps join Search ..not sure If my resume will be all that great to just to apply to schools directly... I really want to continue teaching special education.. For those who are teaching overseas--- What are the differences you have noticed about teaching if you are from the US originally and overseas? Thanks again for the replies they are helpful