Job hunting with non-teaching African partner

migratingbird

Job hunting with non-teaching African partner

Post by migratingbird »

Hi all,

I've been on the international scene for quite a few years now, and at my current post I picked up an African partner and a daughter! We're now looking to move on and my partner is planning to do his Masters. Am curious as to whether my new status will affect my employability...any thoughts?
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Just the obvious one...you now have 2 dependants and the hiring challenges that come with that.
porter1

Post by porter1 »

Repeat
Last edited by porter1 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

It may also be more difficult for schools to get your partner a visa. Two of my siblings are married to non-westerners and theyhavehad difficulty going to certain countries.
Best of luck!
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

It's the visa thing that I think might put schools off, so have stressed that he will be studying so will be on a student visa, ie not their problem. Am also worried that they think I won't be able to fully commit time-wise due to having such a young child...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Visas will be a problem, non westerners especially from impoverished areas are going to create more problems for schools in some places. Its not their fault its just how immigration is going to act, and you never know if a visa wont be issued until its not. that puts the school in the position of having to possibly break contract very late in the season. This probability goes up with newlyweds.

the bigger issue is of course that your a teacher witha trailing spouse and a dependent. that makes you an expensive logistical hire.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

Thanks for your honesty. We're not married, so I would not expect any provision in my contract to cover him. I've always been under the impression that only spouses will be included in benefit packages. Am just hoping people will give me the opportunity to interview before writing me off so they can see I'm worth it!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

except for a some european countries gf/bf dont qualify for spousal/dependent visas. it would open up too much immigration fraud. Many schools would also just consider you single, they typically wont give a bf/gf bennefits. Given your spouses background isnt going to make it easier.
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

Hi migratingbird,

I was in your situation when I fronted up to Search Bangkok two years ago except without the children, and a girlfriend instead of a boyfriend!

Speaking from experience here, you will face a massive wall trying to get a job that will consider moving you with an unmarried partner.

I tried saying the same things you are: i. e. that she would be my problem; that I could be responsible for getting the visas for her etc.

They were having none of it. I can understand why now. They were worried about having a teacher on staff that would be constantly distracted with family worries.

Also, I can confirm that most countries do not recognise de-facto or common law marriages. We did get quite a good job in China; however, to clinch the deal we had to get married.

So, the best advice I can give you is: get married! This will put you back in the game. Currently, I reckon you will almost certainly find that you are not in it as things stand.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Migratingbird,

In many countries, you can only get a student visa if you are studying at a university within the country. The university in essence will sponsor him.

In my experience, there are bigger issues in getting a visa for his daughter. Sometimes, you can get a visa for an married partner but getting a visa for a child that is not your dependent or for someone on a student visa is very difficult.

You did not mention how old the girl is. If she is school age, you would probably want her to attend the school you work at which would only be possible if she was your dependent.

My advice is to bring it up early in the interview process once the school demonstrates interest in you. If it is simply not possible to get a visa for your partner and her daughter, you don't want to waste your time or theirs.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

Hi Nomads,

Yes, my partner is applying to universities in different countries - he is applying for the courses, then I research jobs in the same countries that he is applying to.

Our baby is OUR daughter, not just his, and she's not yet 1 so wouldn't need a school place for her for a few years (just looked back at my original post and I didn't make that clear).

not that I think either of these things will help the situation, I think tangchao is right...we'll have to get married...which we are planning to do at some point, would just be nice not to have to rush it so we could do it the way we want it!

I appreciate all the input, everyone. Wish it was more positive but need the honesty :?
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

Just a thought. My husband and I are different nationalities. We got married twice, for the reason that you just stated; that you want to do things the way you want them. The authorities don't care if you had flowers or even guests. It cost us two hours and fifty bucks to get legally hitched and we had the big shindig another time, the way we wanted it, at our leisure and just signed the vows instead of a marriage license.