Schools in South Korea

CaliPro

Schools in South Korea

Post by CaliPro »

Was wondering if someone knew or knew of a list of all the International Schools in and around Seoul (Gyeonggi Area).

I am in the process of looking for a ESL job in Seoul and the surrounding cities (within an hour transport) and will need to have a International School close by to do my student teaching / field experience.
PsyGuy

Depends

Post by PsyGuy »

That depends, how do you define an international school, considering your looking for an ESL position?
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I will be working in the evening in a private language academy, that wont have anything to do with my certification program / student teaching / field experience that I will do in the mornings.

Any school with a western curriculum with foreign teachers will do imo.
dutchschultz

Post by dutchschultz »

The two most well-known ones are Yongsan International School and Seoul Foreign School. The other two more well-known schools are located in Seongnam, which is about 20 minutes by subway and bus from Seoul. They are Korea International School and Seoul International School. I know that with the two located in Seongnam the student body tends to be heavily Korean. They are able to go to these schools because they hold passports of other countries. These are the four that I know about having lived in South Korea for a long time.

Another option is student teaching on the US base. Seoul American Schools are not international schools but are the DODDS schools. It is possible to student teach at these schools.

Doing a search of international schools I also found Korea Kent, Seoul Academy International, and Centennial Christian Academy. I don't know anything about these schools; they are accredited in the US.

I know that there is a British school but I don't know anything about it besides its existence.

One thing you should note is that many of the international schools are Christian, of course whether you have to be a practicing Christian or not depends on the school.

If you are going to continue working at your hakwon while student teaching then I would say that location would be the biggest factor.

Good luck!!
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

Sorry, no such exhaustive list exists.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I am nervous I will accept a job in a location that will require a significant amount of travel time & funds to go to the school daily.

Hoping there is many small christian schools and lesser known international schools in and surrounding Seoul.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Is this accurate?

http://www.iscresearch.com/internationa ... uth-korea/

Might have to pay for this subscription....

Anyone know the cost of this service?
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

When you get to your school and more importantly your apartment. Grab a bottle of water and a notepad, and start walking around, you will find 2-4 language schools within a stones through distance. The reason there isnt a definitive list because the definition of a school,and more importantly an ESL school that has foreigners, really means anything. Some schools appear out of nowhere, and vanish into mist overnight. Its a lot like Tokyo.

Sure the site you referenrced is accurate IF, and its a huge IF your very very loose in what you define as a school. Honestly, save yourself the money and just hit Daves ESL cafe, at www.daveseslcafe.com, there is a whole SK job board dedicated to SK ESl jobs:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/

A couple small time recruiters that I would trust (well more so then other include:

Footprints Recruiting:

http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com/tea ... s-in-korea

They have decent jobs, and they screen the schools, you could do worse, and they are free. Dont expect a lot, once they approve you they pretty much just slide you into the next slot in your city thats available.

IEG (International Education Group)
http://www.internationaleducationgroup.net

Ask for Andrew Spinks (Recruitment Manager) at:
info@internationaleducationgroup.net

Deecent guy, knows his stuff, and tends to have Jobs in SK around, even if not advertised,. Once he gets your resume, and you tell him what your looking for, he can hook you up quickly. Dont pay the signup fee, just tell him to save the 150£ for a referral fee.

Really though, Daves ESL cafe should keep you PLENTY busy.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Psyguy,

I am not looking for any ESL Language School or Korean public school to do my student teaching / field experience for my certification program.

DavesCafe is not much use because it deals mostly with Hagwons (language mills) and Korean public school positions (not International Schools / private western schools ect)
PsyGuy

Mistake

Post by PsyGuy »

My mistake, had it backwards which one you were looking for, and which one you already had.
dutchschultz

Post by dutchschultz »

I wouldn't waste your money to join that organization. First, most of those places that they have listed aren't close enough to Seoul for you to consider an option. Second, that list is misleading since they list Goyang and Goyang City as each having schools; well, those two are the same location. There are other examples of double listing. Third, I don't know if they are truly international schools and I imagine that you would want the school you are student teaching at to be accredited in the US.

My previous post listed the international schools in Seoul and in Seongnam. There are a few other international schools in towns located near Seoul but until you know the location of your hagkwon it is hard to determine how long your commute will be.

You can also go on to Hi!Seoul website. I believe that they have a list of international schools in Seoul.

Where in Gyeonggi Province? If Bundang, then you want Korea International School. If it is Seongnam, then I would say Seoul International School. FYI: SIS isn't actually in Seoul and Bundang is actually a part of Seongnam, which is located within Gyeonggi-do.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Outside of the double listings ( they list 2 pyeongtaek as well ) it seems pretty legit. They have the one tiny accredited Christian school in Pyeongtaek listed where I was originally gonna have a job. Everyone knows about the big schools, but this site seems to list all the small ones as well.

I am getting very impatient with the search and will pretty much accept anything in the area by the week after this if nothing I like turns up this week.

I need to see this list to make sure there will be a international school in which ever town surrounding Seoul (Gyeonggi Province) I get an offer in. Hopefully I get one in Seoul but that is pretty hard to do without any tefl cert.

Hopefully I will have all this figured out by Thursday night.
PsyGuy

International Schools

Post by PsyGuy »

I hope you find this list of International Schools useful (some are outside Seoul):

Asia Pacific International School-Seoul
BIS Canada
Branksome Hall Asia
Bugil Academy (AP)-Chungnamdo
Busan International Foreign School (IB)
Canada Maple International School
Centennial Christian School
Chadwick International School-Incheon
CheongShim International Academy (AP)-Gyeonggi-do
Dulwich College-Seoul
Dwight International School-Seoul
Gimcheon High School (AP)-Gimcheon
Global Prodigy Academy (AP)-Wansan-Gu Jeonju
Global Vision Christian School (AP)-Chungbuk-Do
Goyang Foreign Language High School (AP)
Gyeongnam International Foreign School (AP)
Gyeonggi Academy of Foreign Languages (IB)
Gyeonggi Suwon International School (IB)
Han Young Foreign Language High School (AP)-Seoul
Hana Academy Seoul (AP)-Seoul
Hankuk Academy of Foreign Studies (AP)-Kyongki-Do
Hyundai Foreign School-Ulsan
Indianhead International School
International Christian School-Pyongtaek
International Christian School-Uijongbu
International School of Busan
Kwangju Foreign School
Korea International School (KIS)-Jeju
Korea International School (KIS)-Seoul
Korea Kent Foreign School-Seoul
Korean Minjok Leadership Academy (AP)-Gangwon
Kwangju Foreign School (AP)-Gwangju
M. Wright International College Preparatory School
Namsan International Kindergarten-Seoul
North London Collegiate School-Jeju (IB)
Okpo International School-Geoje-Si
Rainbow International School-Seoul
Saint Paul Preparatory Academy-Seoul
Seoul Academy International School
Seoul Christian School (AP)
Seoul Foreign School (IB)
Seoul Global High School
Seoul International School
Songdo International School
Taejon Christian International School (IB)
Yongsan International School of Seoul

Casey Elementary School (DoDEA)
CT Joy Elementary School (DoDEA)
Daegu American School (DoDEA)
Daegu American High School (DoDEA)
Humphreys American Elementary School (DoDEA)
Osan Elementary School (DoDEA)
Osan Middle School (DoDEA)
Osan American High School (DoDEA)
Seoul American Elementary School (DoDEA)
Seoul American Middle School (DoDEA)
dutchschultz

Post by dutchschultz »

You should also realize that commuting distances within a city like Pyeongtaek can be long, say 30 to 45 minutes. This is also true of most places in korea. Public transportation is readily available but traffic can be bad.

I wonder how youll be able to manage both teaching at a hagkwon and student teaching at the same time. Most hagkwons start in the early afternoon and international schools dont finish until 3/4ish. Plus having recently student taught it is extremely difficult to work a second job with the amount of time it takes to student teach.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Thanks for the list Psyguy

Dutch,

I will mostly be doing observations and exercises consisting of 5 hours max a week. I will only have to actually teach for one week at the end of my program.

So at most ill only spend 2 hours at a school on any given day. Ideally from 9am - 11am.

My hagwon job wont start till 1pm - 3pm.

It is gonna be a pain in the arse im sure, but I just gotta suck it up and get it over with.