Utahloy International School in Guangzhou

deweyjap

Utahloy International School in Guangzhou

Post by deweyjap »

Anyone have experience at this school? There is a new head of school but there seems to be turmoil. Should someone accept a job at this school?
jakarta2008

Post by jakarta2008 »

I have no recent experience - I worked with someone who worked at the school about 7 years ago and hated it (she not only broke contract, but was able to get a job at another international school in China because the Head 'understood' why she broke contract. That's unusual to say the least, as schools usually support each other!).

It might have changed - my general rule of thumb is to avoid 'for profit' schools as much as possible.
yan

UIS

Post by yan »

experience - yes. i can only endorse the comments posted in the review section.
read and note.
both Utahloy franchises are unconducive to long term development, and, it appears remuneration on a regular basis. This adds to the myriad of other issues broached, to which I can readily attest.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I visited both campuses a fews ago when I was doing international recruiting for a US college. It wouldn't be an organization that I would want to work for unless I was willing to put up with a lot of crap to break into international teaching. The kids I spoke to seemed nice, but they also were unhappy with the school.

Given the isolation of the Zeng Cheng campus and the underdevelopment of the area, I wouldn't think there is a lot for foreigners to do or for them to engage with locals. The nearest village was about 30 minutes away by taxi from the school. The school counselor did say a bunch of the young teachers would arrange water skiing at some nearby lake. But unless they have improved the roads from Guangzhou to Zeng Cheng, then it's a trek. If you were going to take a job Utahloy, I'd say the Guangzhou campus would at least provide an interesting city.